Casting hype

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Every month i read the angling mags the pages are full of the same old articles about casting,distance distance distance. Surely these writers get fedup writing it (dont get me wrong) many people learn from this,but its never ending are these people getting a bung from rod-reel manufacturers?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are quite right total over do BUT go down to a crowded mark and see how many never learn, if I had a pound in my pocket for every twang ol-s **t i hear including a few of mine we could have a good weekends boat fishing licenced for twelve booked by two.

The trouble is there are so many options of each of the many types of fishing modes and I guess we all screw up on choice + budget. If I won the lottery I would have to have my own warehouse for all of the gear I would waste my money on.

But let's face it, it is all part of the fun. :)

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Ken

il see you on the boat!!I learned a proper style many years ago now but rarely use it as most fish are not that far out.These writers just want you to get the best from your tackle yes,but at what cost.It brain washes anglers in to casting to far,ive seen it so many times,powerful rod big lead no style. At least no fish,at worst nasty accident personal or third party.I dont call that fun :confused:

no benny, its the lack of decent fish over the many years, and now anglers have forgot what it is all about, so now they have replaced that with the macho man image of casting, i witnessed something this year i wouldnt of believed a few decades ago, a chap on the next beach caught a cod of 10lb, he was shouting screaming and god knows what noises was coming out of his mouth, anyway when i aproached him he was blubbering like a baby, i said whats the matter, he said i have fished for ten years and never caught anything this big before,he was in his mid twentys, he then said is it a cod, yes it is i said, i then told him that you would expect to catch a couple a dozen that size and bigger a season off the beach in the early seventies,with that the chap stopped crying and said why cant it be like that today, i said why indeed, that feeling that bloke had that day is what it should all be about, not look at me are'nt i clever who's the man swing out swing in look like a ballerina im a pendulum 300 yd caster. the tackle companys have sucked every body in and we have fell for it, so most of todays beach men now put the rod and casting of it as their first thought and the catching of real fish a secondary one. and now the tackle companys know this.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Stavey

In a way you are dead right. but as my ol man says give me a bamboo and il catch a fish,its not the gear its the knowhow

Stavey,

Distance casting is all about personal choice and application....dont know where you get the Macho bit from.

I like many others enjoyed a bit of tournament casting years ago , met some nice people and had fun.

I agree that the marketing of the kit is full of hype and promises.

Power casting, has its uses,as do the high brid rods, for instance fishing a head wind , and trying to get behind a heavey swell with a large bait, nothing Macho there.....just fishing.

YY :)

Guest bennyTHEBASS

YY

Thats where i learnd to cast,but stavey is right most have turned into (tackle tarts)as for no decent fish i work bloody hard for mine! ps nice yaks!they'd be great in our cornish coves! :cool:

ok yakity, so you are one of the guys to whom i was refering to, you are a caster first and an angler second then,casting tournys were a spin off from angling. not the other way round, but that is what has happened, and thats the mentality today. if there were no fish left in the sea you can still go casting. benny your right the word brain washed, is about right

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Stavey

tourneys used to be the same as the forum, learn a bit laugh a bit but nowdays no one cares what inexperienced casters do,the mag writers just sell the gear with the promise of (big distance)this is a disaster waiting to happen

Hi Benny,

Sorry mate, I dont belive in the phrase Tackle Tart......unless used in a humourous context.

Yep, knowhow is important, but so is the kit.

You can catch fish with a Bamboo, but Id rather use a decent rod

Pleased you like the Yaks......yep, they would be great for those lovely Cornish coves.

yy :)