Casting hype

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Guest stevie cop

I've got to say that I disagree with some of what has been written. Sure, you don't always have to cast long distances to catch fish, but there are times when you do. If you have the ability, it's your choice how far to cast. If you don't have the ability, you have to make do with casting short and, sometimes, not catching fish because of it.

It's a well known fact that 10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish. If you don't believe that fact, walk along any crowded beach when the cod are in, and see how many anglers haven't got a clue. You'll find that there is only a small percentage who know how to use their tackle to their best advantage.

On the east coast, where I fish, it's the long casters who catch all the fish.

Yes, casting is a sport in it's own right, and yes, the magazines do fool a lot of anglers into buying rods that will do them no good. But I don't see anything wrong with learning how to cast properly and buying a rod that will enable you to put a bait out to where the fish are.

Having said all that, I still use an old Conoflex flick tip off the beach! Lovely rod.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the tackle companys have been riding this wave for far to long, they dont give a cr*p whether you catch a decent fish or not in fact the demise of our fishing has done them a favour, that way it is easier to brain wash anglers to think you have to cast this far to catch a fish, and to some extent so has some of the people who do these articles in the mags. they have made billions over the last 2to3 decades and not one penny do they put into conservation, we know why.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Stavey,

You are wrong, I was a fisherman first, I chose to improve my casting and have some fun at the same time.

Are you saying that casting a bait a way out has no place in fishing??

I wouldnt dream of knocking you for dropping a bait in the gutter, so why take a pop at people who fish different methods to you??

Or are you the be all and end all of fishing expertise, do tell , Im up for learning.

Guest jay_con

Steve where abouts on the east coast?

The big hitters here do at times have an advantage, but 90% of the time us shorter casters out fish them. Yes they could drop a lead short, but for some reason they seem to be unable to do so.

I could take you to most of the marks I fish and you would see that if you cast past 80 yards you are

over the gulley and back onto shallow ground at the far side.

yakity, i use these forums to try to air my opinion, i do not nock or take pops at people,i was mearly saying what i thought, i do not claim i am the be all and end all of fishing expertise i dont know why you think so. i can understand if you are in the trade for the selling of fishing rods wanting to defend what you are saying? but i would not get the nock with that.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Stavey

couldnt say it better myself.Its good to know there are anglers out there who care about catching not just lookin good.i use quality gear but also care about others around me!!!

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Winter

those addicted over casters prove my point.I just wish the writers kept it real that way they wouldnt have room to write coz all the fish pics :D:D:D:D

Hi All

This is a good one well done Benny.

Fishing is no different from any other sport when it comes to equipment, if you are manufacturing kit you are going to go flat out to sell it, that's life.

When your edges are starting to curl up like mine and bits are starting to drop of you need all the help you can get some days to reach the gutter.

When push comes to shove due to kit improvement I can still get a reasonable distance if needed.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest jay_con

A chap in our club is one hell of an angler (believe it or not, im not talking about myself :D ). You should see the gear he uses. Nothing special beleive me. He has one of the cheaper rods on the market and an average real. Casts not a lot further than anyone else, perhaps shorter than a lot of anglers.

I think his bait, knowledge of marks and when to fish them and an ability to hardly ever make a mistake , and his very positive mindset are the key. Put him up against a caster and I know who would come out on top every time.

Having said that I wish I could cast further.