Now Where have I Read That Before?

Leon Roskilly

Looking through the websites of the angling bodies, the absence of a cod management plan or in fact anything to do with the organisations involvement in anything to do with cod confirms to me that this area is being neglected.

One stark contrast between the support shown for a BMP and any future CMP would be that the people pushing for the BMP had little to fear from their supporters bragging of 11 anglers landing 80 stone of Bass fillets.

Any CMP would be dead in the water with that kind of practice going on. :(

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote, ‘Fishing News’, 17th November 2006, Page 5, ‘Jim’n Alec’ cartoon:

“Tell you what, Alec… this beats the hell out of towing a dirty great pair of doors and a bloody net up and down the North Sea all week!”

Thirteen years ago, I decommissioned my boat and gave up commercial fishing because I had no faith in our government’s management of the industry, past or future. Although I was primarily a long-line fisherman when I took up full time charter/angling, my sentiments were very similar to those of ‘Jim’n Alec’.

JB

Do you see the article in Fishing News likely to start a move to try and manage catch levels in the charter boat fishery in general, or do you feel the article was too specific and it will be 15 minute wonder that will blow over.

Page 5 of Fishing News.

Headline: Anglers Reel in The Cod

(Also included on the same page "ICES cannot advise a zero quota for cod and meanwhile leave the amatuer fishery untouched"

hmmm!

Boasting about the number of fillets landed by Cheiftan on an open Internet Forum might not have been best advised if you want to avoid bag limits on anglers catches of cod! :eek:

ps Love the cartoon that goes with the article. Is that Chieftan? and which one is Challenge? (does he smoke a pipe?)

80 stone of cod fillet x 1,000,000 anglers x twice a week = thats where all the cod went caught by anglers and commercial fishermen get the blame

off to my pm to discuss bags limets and licences must dash toddle pip lol lol

regards and thank you lol

80 stone of cod fillet x 1,000,000 anglers x twice a week = thats where all the cod went caught by anglers and commercial fishermen get the blame

off to my pm to discuss bags limets and licences must dash toddle pip lol lol

regards and thank you lol

Ho Steve

I never had you down as a muppet. I thought you were O.K.

So all 1,000,000 sea anglers go out on the Chieftan twice a week do they? F***! I knew it was a big boat, but.........kinell!

Give the Prime minister my regards.

Cheers

Steve

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Nigel.

Why is it so difficult for Angling organisations to say to DEFRA we do not support Bag limits for cod. You on this very forum have said anglers have not contributed to the current circumstances with regard to cod. If that is your belief why aren't you as opposed to this ridiculous proposal as me ?

I still state that on no websites of the angling rep bodies does it say we are opposed to bag limits for cod. In the current climate if you don't say that people (myself included) will assume you are backing this measure.

Its an issue that wont go away Nigel and until I see it in writing that sacn nfsa et al are against bag limits for cod I will assume the opposite to be true.

We might see things very differently here Nigel, only time will tell what's to become of the north east charter fleet and the north east fishing clubs - who knows who is right - I sincerely hope it isn't me.

Edited by glennk

Why is it so difficult for Angling organisations to say to DEFRA we do not support Bag limits for cod.

As far as I'm aware the issue of bag limits for cod has never before arisen in any discussions with DEFRA or any other body.

(We don't want to put the idea into their heads do we? We get blamed as it is because no one can concievably believe that they would ever have come up with the idea of a sea angling licence or bag limits on their very own without RSA campaigners suggesting the ideas, despit the fact that we already have a system of rod licences inland, bag limits on trout fisheries, not to mention overseas where they have had those things in place for decades and DEFRA have access to all of the literature, and DEFRA personnel visit these places!)

I must admit that we have neve opposed the prospective ideas of:

- Bag limits on flounder

- Limiting the number of anglers to fish any particular beach at one time (to cap angling effort)

- The need for anglers to wear life-jackets when fishing from piers, rocks, boats or when the swell is more than 1 metre (on safety grounds).

- Bag Limits on mackerel

- Rods to be chipped with a unique ID so that rods can be linked to licences

- Limits on the number of worms that individual anglers can be in possession of (to preserve stocks)

- Bag Limits on bream

- Limits on casting weights (as a matter of public safety)

- Banning of all fishing at weekends (to protect stocks - actually .......... well better not go into that one any further! - For Now)

- Bag Limits on sole

- Insistence on Anglers using water bio-degradable line (it's great for the environment, crap for fishing with!)

- Banning of the use of lead in fishing weights and lures (ooops! sorry, we have discussed that at EU level and won our case :-)

- Bag Limits on thornbacks

Oh! and lots of other things that have never been placed on the agenda.

Show me an official document where bag limits on cod have specifically been mentioned, and I'll make sure that it's taken up with the appropriate authorities, but right now there are plenty of actual issues that have been raised and are in the pipeline that need to be worked upon, rather than opposing things that have not yet ever been (and may not ever be) raised, including the idea of bag limits on cod (though an actual proposal on that has been bought considerably nearer now!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

As far as I'm aware the issue of bag limits for cod has never before arisen in any discussions with DEFRA or any other body.

(We don't want to put the idea into their heads do we? We get blamed as it is because no one can concievably believe that they would ever have come up with the idea of a sea angling licence or bag limits on their very own without RSA campaigners suggesting the ideas, despit the fact that we already have a system of rod licences inland, bag limits on trout fisheries, not to mention overseas where they have had those things in place for decades and DEFRA have access to all of the literature, and DEFRA personnel visit these places!)

I must admit that we have neve opposed the prospective ideas of:

- Bag limits on flounder

- Limiting the number of anglers to fish any particular beach at one time (to cap angling effort)

- The need for anglers to wear life-jackets when fishing from piers, rocks, boats or when the swell is more than 1 metre (on safety grounds).

- Bag Limits on mackerel

- Rods to be chipped with a unique ID so that rods can be linked to licences

- Limits on the number of worms that individual anglers can be in possession of (to preserve stocks)

- Bag Limits on bream

- Limits on casting weights (as a matter of public safety)

- Banning of all fishing at weekends (to protect stocks - actually .......... well better not go into that one any further! - For Now)

- Bag Limits on sole

- Insistence on Anglers using water bio-degradable line (it's great for the environment, crap for fishing with!)

- Banning of the use of lead in fishing weights and lures (ooops! sorry, we have discussed that at EU level and won our case :-)

- Bag Limits on thornbacks

Oh! and lots of other things that have never been placed on the agenda.

Show me an official document where bag limits on cod have specifically been mentioned, and I'll make sure that it's taken up with the appropriate authorities, but right now there are plenty of actual issues that have been raised and are in the pipeline that need to be worked upon, rather than opposing things that have not yet ever been (and may not ever be) raised, including the idea of bag limits on cod (though an actual proposal on that has been bought considerably nearer now!)

I tell you what Leon,why dont we have a proposal on the total ban on angling...Seems that what the majority are asking for too me,or am I imagining it?

Nigel.

Why is it so difficult for Angling organisations to say to DEFRA we do not support Bag limits for cod. You on this very forum have said anglers have not contributed to the current circumstances with regard to cod. If that is your belief why aren't you as opposed to this ridiculous proposal as me ?

We might see things very differently here Nigel, only time will tell what's to become of the north east charter fleet and the north east fishing clubs - who knows who is right - I sincerely hope it isn't me.

But we have Glenn, we have said we are against Bag Limits per se, unless there is something worthwhile accrueing to anglers, the only species that has been given some consideration for as a potential candidate for a restriction in take is bass. If a proposal for bag limits on cod came up we would fight it unless there was overwhelming evidence to state that cod will crash unless angling and commercial effort is capped.

There appears to be this idea that the discussion of bag limits is at such a forward position that individual species are being targeted, it is not, we are not. The position hasn't changed WE ARE OPPOSED TO BAG LIMITS

Without being sarcastic, if it makes you feel any better;

we are against Bag limits for cod.

For the Conger anglers; we are against Bag limits for Conger (only had 1 and I can't say I was that impressed, but each to their own)

For the Flounder anglers; we are against Bag limits for Flounder (who needs Led Zep or Ted Nugent - enough Heavy metal for everyone in these)

For the Mullet anglers; we are against Bag limits for Mullet (you gets your bog roll already built in!!)

For the Pollock anglers; we are against Bag limits for Pollock (does anyone actually eat this stuff)

For the Bass anglers; we are against Bag limits for Bass (until benefits accrue to anglers, and or the stocks collapse) Which is as far as we have discussed. (but its in the BMP, and in any case will go out to consultation prior to any decision being taken).

For the Ray anglers; we are against Bag limits for Ray (although they of most species could do with protection and therefore some sensible control would be advisable, but that is up to the individual angler, and in any case my own opinion not a national position)

For the Wrasse anglers; we are against Bag limits for Wrasse (but lets use a bit of common here guys they taste like ****)

For the Bream anglers; we are against Bag limits for Bream (tooo tasty for their own good, sorry thats not very PC is it, what the hell I like bream, especially on the Barbie)

For the Haddock anglers; we are against Bag limits for Haddock (being a cod head I prefer cod anyway)

For the Smoothhound anglers; we are against Bag limits for smoothhound (I have to admit I wouldn't need much convincing to go the otherway, why knock a fantastic fighting fish like these on the head).

For the Ling anglers; we are against Bag limits for Ling (You can keep em!!!!)

For the Turbot anglers; we are against Bag limits for Turbot (Other than the Channel Islands try catching one never mind putting a bag limit on them)

For the Brill anglers; we are against Bag limits for Brill anglers!!!!

For the Tope anglers; I am all for no take for Tope (call me radical!!!!)

For the LSD's anglers; we are against harsh treatment of LSD's (if you've never had an LSD they can be a bit rough at times, but you wouldn't want more than a couple in a night anyway - not if you didn't want nightmares anyway)

For the shark anglers, those days are long gone.

Sorry if I've missed any other target species off, e-mail me and I'll make a public statement tomorrow.

Sorry Glenn, just a bit of light-hearted banter, with a bit of a serious side that shows, to say you are against bag limits on one particular species means you have to go through the whole range, far simpler and less time consuming to say, in short you are against bag limits and when a specific issue arises, dealt with it at face value.

Ho Steve

I never had you down as a muppet. I thought you were O.K.

So all 1,000,000 sea anglers go out on the Chieftan twice a week do they? F***! I knew it was a big boat, but.........kinell!

Give the Prime minister my regards.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

Smiles, just having a bit of fun here, this situation can be made into what you want depending on your veiw.

I think it is quite amusing lol

regards steve

Judging by the lengths of your's and Leon's responses I guess I touched a nerve ? Fact is still there is lots of mention of many species on the websites of the fishing rep bodies and what they support and what they oppose. There is not so much information on cod - perhaps its wrong for me to make assumptions but If I was not a member of this forum and wanted to find out your stance on Cod where would I locate this information ?.

Is cod not a significant enough species to warrant a mention of its own ?

Like I say Time will tell on this one. I might sound paranoid but we will see.

Edited by glennk