An Alternative to Bag Limits?

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not mine!

It's a nursery area behind Chesil beach that is privately owned and Joe Public do not have easy access to.

I doubt that you fish very much of it.

Most of the shore that you fish is in a different ownership.

Between myself and a few friends we probably fish a big chunk of it. Most of our coastline is not in public ownership, just imagine if all the landowners wanted to charge us for access, which is what you would be paying for.

I'm glad to think that you disagree with paying to fish in the sea!

I disagree with paying for access to what should be a public resource. However, I would have no qualms about paying for a licence IF measures were taken to improve fish stocks around our coast and rules and regulations regarding commercial exploitation were enforced and punishments were handed out to those who break the rules (rather than the "Don't be naughty boys" that were handed out to the guys who were netting the Fleet this Summer - They were straight back out with their nets!).

Between myself and a few friends we probably fish a big chunk of it. Most of our coastline is not in public ownership,

Most of UK foreshore belongs to the Crown Estate and is open to the public. The Fleet and Chesil Beach(the part of the beach west of the Portland Bounds Stone|) has been privately owned since 1412(or maybe 1512?). The upper reaches from before that. King Canute gave it to his Theign, Ork(sometimes spelt URK). Have a read of a book called Anglo-Saxon Writs.

I disagree with paying for access to what should be a public resource. However, I would have no qualms about paying for a licence IF measures were taken to improve fish stocks around our coast and rules and regulations regarding commercial exploitation were enforced and punishments were handed out to those who break the rules (rather than the "Don't be naughty boys" that were handed out to the guys who were netting the Fleet this Summer - They were straight back out with their nets!).

We were told by the Fleet owners that the officials monitoring fishing activities in the Fleet had found no evidence of illegal netting. As no powered boats are allowed in the Fleet above the bridging camp, I don't see how any netting there can be illegal, except by using small mesh sizes perhaps.

A local fish merchant refused to buy fish from some locals but, a letter from the fisheries authority made him change his mind because no powered boats were used.

There is said to be a clause in the original royal charter that says 'Men of the villages shall be permitted to take fish and fowl'.

The wildfowlers club pays for a license to shoot on the Fleet each season. A person has been prosecuted for armed trespass in a boat on the Fleet.

People tethering boats to posts or moorings in the bed of the Fleet are registering.

Up till now, nothing has been done about the illegal angling apart from warning notices.

Nothing to do with bag limits but, I never brought it up.

Harassing anglers with licenses and bag limits will do nothing toward increasing fish stocks!

If it results in less anglers, then the treasury will have even less to spend on fish stocks management!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net