Chub on a fly

fishfinder

I've done a bit of lure fishing for chub, and it suddenly struck me that it would be great fun, and probably very efective, fishing for chub with a fly outfit.

Has anyone ever tried it, and if so, what flies, weighyt od rod etc do you recommend.

I've got a decent pike fly collection, and quite a few decent crayfish imitation flies from the US.

I've done a bit of lure fishing for chub, and it suddenly struck me that it would be great fun, and probably very efective, fishing for chub with a fly outfit.

Has anyone ever tried it, and if so, what flies, weighyt od rod etc do you recommend.

I've got a decent pike fly collection, and quite a few decent crayfish imitation flies from the US.

Almost any general wet fly should catch.Bushy dries in the summer as well.Have caught a few in the past on the wet fly fished down and accross.

I've replied under your question in the coarse fishing section.

Regards, Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Fishfinder, you posted this on another game fishing site and I answered it.

You haven't replied so I assume you haven't revisited it yet.

I posted-

''

I cut my teeth on flyfishing for chub, dace, rudd and even bleak on a small river near where I was raised in Surrey.

Chub are more wary than trout and you HAVE to keep low on smaller rivers. They'll take pretty much the same flies as Trout and nymphs work well. I tend to use larger sizes for chub and the tackle you use for trout is about right. Rudd prefer tiny flies-sizes 18 and smaller.Same for dace and bleak. Dry fly is exciting- especially for dace on 1 pound cast. Chub as easily as greedy as a rainbow when feeding and most lure type flies will take the bigger fish too.

Hope this helps J.W.''

Does this help John? Any more advice I can give if you need it.

On the small chalk stream that I fished every third fish seemed to be a Chub Altough once they get to about a pound they become less inclined to rise too a small dry, And I rarely fished a wet on that stretch so cant awnser as to how effective that would have been. Just to add I found them not to be fussy and have seen them bully small wildies off a fly to get to it first.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!