Rubber or breathable?

Nicepix

I've been using breathable waders and wading boots on the yak in cold weather. I'm now thinking about getting a neoprene suit instead to wear under fleece garments. Have you any views on kayak wear?

And please remember I am from Yorkshire. A Yorkshireman is like a Scotsman, only more frugal so no silly prices. :rolleyes:

Regards, Clive

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are THAT tight, a pair of neoprene waders is going otbe your cheapest bet - not brilliant,but warm, dry and won't drown you like your breathabes might.

Go for STOCKINGFOOT waders, then use some rubber booties. Wear your warm kit UNDER the waders - fleece longjohns, sweatshirty thing and most important of all warm socks - not so thick they are tight - or your feet will freeze quickly. You need loose fitting footwear to allow circulation to reach the extremities of your tootsies in order to have warm feet - seen electrically heated socks....they might melt your frostbite!

The above kit could be had for the price of a good pair of proper paddling trousers - you should see some change out of £90 for the lot. Waders - £50 - £60. The rest you could get from the Oxfam shop......or the PDSA! (Peoples Dispensary for Sick Anglers).

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Nice one Simon. Do you have a link to the PDSA? :clap:

I was actually thinking of a wetsuit under fleeces, and the neoprene boots used by windsurfers. One of the things I want to get away from is large, clunky boots like my wading boots.

I thought the waders drowning you myth had been exposed on Sexyloops?

Regards, Clive

Leave windsurfing boots in the shop, the soles are very thin so that the user can feel the board, you will feel every stone when carrying or towing the yak up the beach, look for Jet Ski or hard soled neoprene boots.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

That's what I meant. :headhurt:

Just to elaborate, I'm not that stingy really. It's just that I have a kayak for the same reason I have a car - to get me to places I can't walk to. I only use it about 6 times a year and I'm definitely a fair weather sailor although I do go in winter. Most of the kayak clothing is designed and priced for those who own kayaks for the sport of kayaking.

My purpose is fishing first, kayaking second and the yak and gear is rigged more towards fishing than kayaking.

Regards, Clive

Hi.

I fully understand your dilemna. At the moment I wear longjohn wetsuit bottoms sealskinz waterproof socks and a hard soled bootie. On top Thermal vest, fleece shirt and breathable cag top. Longjohns, £32 Cag top £23 booties £ 18, Catching Fish - Priceless. All from Decathlon in Sheffield. They also do a decent PFD for around £25. I only yak inland at the moment but would take the advice that most of the other guys give and get a dry suit if going to sea. :rolleyes:

OC PROWLER 13 ANGLER

A bad day's fishing is a good day's Yakking!

That's what I meant. :headhurt:

Just to elaborate, I'm not that stingy really. It's just that I have a kayak for the same reason I have a car - to get me to places I can't walk to. I only use it about 6 times a year and I'm definitely a fair weather sailor although I do go in winter. Most of the kayak clothing is designed and priced for those who own kayaks for the sport of kayaking.

My purpose is fishing first, kayaking second and the yak and gear is rigged more towards fishing than kayaking.

Kayaking is ALWAYS first :yeah: you must get to your fishing mark safely and ready to face any weather conditions and accidental tips into the wet stuff, THEN you can fish :)

The beaming smile and relaxed feeling I get when out on the sea fishing is PRICELESS. You wouldn't sit in the car in just your undies because you PROBABLY wont break down :lol: (although might try it ha ha) :lol:

All the best

SEADOODAVID~~~~~~~ :sun:

Hi.

I fully understand your dilemna. At the moment I wear longjohn wetsuit bottoms sealskinz waterproof socks and a hard soled bootie. On top Thermal vest, fleece shirt and breathable cag top. Longjohns, £32 Cag top £23 booties £ 18, Catching Fish - Priceless. All from Decathlon in Sheffield. They also do a decent PFD for around £25. I only yak inland at the moment but would take the advice that most of the other guys give and get a dry suit if going to sea. :rolleyes:

I LOVE Decathlon!!! It's top banana kit for silly cheap prices :yeah: The missus hates it though :lol: The "stood in the isle bored sh1*Less look" is just the one I have standing outside clothes shops, what great revenge ha ha :lol::lol::lol:

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Hi.

"I only yak inland at the moment "

Then get yerself over to the coast and have a go with us sea lads :yeah: , you're more than welcome over here in rainy, errr sunny Cumbria :) we have plenty of lakes too!! (well one lake really, the rest are "waters" etc!!) ha ha

SDD~~~~ :sun:

Going the neoprene wader route doesn't drown you - the neoprene itself has a buoyancy - if worried, put a belt around your middle. For a waterproof top - a wading jacket will work nicely.

The thing to realise is that this stuff will keep you warm and dry OUT OF THE WATER - if you fall in/off then you are going to get wet = cold = hypothermic, in very short time. It isn't just immersion that causes hypothermia, the wind chill once you have got back on board can still get you - so you are still vulnerable.

As you get cold your brain function slows (so in my case I can't wriggle my toes anymore) - decision making becomes a laboured process, reaction time is slowed and the result is you end up back in the drink because you cannot react properly to keep yourself out of it. At that point you are probably not in a position to think clearly enough to get yourself out again. Your co-ordination will have gone, so you simply cannot do what you could first time in. The further north you go, the faster this effect occurs - Scottish East Coast in winter - you probably have 5 minutes before hypothermia sets in. MAX.

If you are going to paddle in the winter, even on the lakes, you need immersion proof gear, not just surface gear. It might seem like a fair amount of money - but it is better spent on good clothing, than your missus caching in the insurance for your funeral.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo