Rubber or breathable?

Nicepix

I understand that Simon. That is why I was thinking of a 3mm wetsuit rather than the breathable waders I currently use. There is a dearth of information about kayak clothing and that small amount you can find is geared towards those who play in the surf and white water. I've seen some suits at about £30. I would prefer a two piece, but at that price I'll manage with a one piece suit.

I'm looking for something practical for fishing, but will provide some protection if / when I fall in. I do use a wading jacket at present although I am worried about the zip rusting so I want to replace it.

Where is this Decathalon place exactly?

Edited by Nicepix

Regards, Clive

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

north you go, the faster this effect occurs - Scottish East Coast in winter - you probably have 5 minutes before hypothermia sets in. MAX.

Your not wrong there Simon .The thing is it's not much warmer in the summer up here. It's on the air that warms up a bit. :cold:

Neil.

"I only yak inland at the moment "

Then get yerself over to the coast and have a go with us sea lads :yeah: , you're more than welcome over here in rainy, errr sunny Cumbria :) we have plenty of lakes too!! (well one lake really, the rest are "waters" etc!!) ha ha

SDD~~~~ :sun:

Fished on Windermere last Friday and got 2 pike. Tried Derwent Water last Saturday and got blown backwards :lol: Visit the lakes around 8 times a year, Brother in law Paul and myself now fully equipped for yakking so hopefully will take you up on your offer next year. You can help me loose my saltwater cherry :blink::blink: Be warned I am an ex pongo and my brother is in the mob so I know all about the golden rivet :lol::lol:

OC PROWLER 13 ANGLER

A bad day's fishing is a good day's Yakking!

Kayaking is ALWAYS first :yeah: you must get to your fishing mark safely and ready to face any weather conditions and accidental tips into the wet stuff, THEN you can fish :)

The beaming smile and relaxed feeling I get when out on the sea fishing is PRICELESS. You wouldn't sit in the car in just your undies because you PROBABLY wont break down :lol: (although might try it ha ha) :lol:

All the best

SEADOODAVID~~~~~~~ :sun:

Yes I do drive my car in inappropriate clothes should I break down as do most people I would imagine. And I don't wear Formula 1 flameproof overalls and a crash helmet when I drive to the shops either. You are talking ****** if I might say so. I'm afraid all this 'action man' stuff is a little tedious. :rolleyes:

By managing the risks in the car I can get away with wearing a seatbelt and RAC Breakdown cover. Just the same in the Yak. I don't need a RNLI survival suit for a few hours fishing out of Brid' providing I choose the right location, tide and weather, and don't take unnecessary risks.

Looks like Decathalon has the stuff I need. Thanks.

Regards, Clive

You are talking ****** if I might say so.

No we'd rather you didn't actually. It's comments like that that start flame wars and were a civilised bunch on here. When you ask for advice don't be rude when people do their best to provide it. Maybe if you get to know SDD personally, you'll have earned the right to speak to him in those terms, but by then you'd realise he doesn't talk b****x when it comes to matters of safety, so it wouldn't arise. You go off and fish in bin liners if you want to, just don't expect anyone to back you up.

By managing the risks in the car I can get away with wearing a seatbelt and RAC Breakdown cover. Just the same in the Yak. I don't need a RNLI survival suit for a few hours fishing out of Brid' providing I choose the right location, tide and weather, and don't take unnecessary risks.

Looks like Decathalon has the stuff I need. Thanks.

Scary response. Initialy seems fair to compare the car breaking down to a Kayak breakdown..............Ok maybe not. :wallbash:

For "wearing a seatbelt" insert PFD; for "RAC" insert RNLI and Coast Guard and for "breakdown" insert personal injury, collision, exhaustion, exposure and freak weather. None of which anyone can honestly say they are in control of. Limiting risk though is a good thing.

It is OK though, you are only going out into the temperate, forgiving and totaly predictable North Sea for a few hours. How long can you hold your body temp for or your breath for that matter? OK maybe you may decide not to take up all the advice that is given but when somone like Seadoo gives you the benefit of his extensive sea experience you would be wise to give it some serious consideration. I am sure he would agree with me. You only die once.

True you may not need a full dry suit or dry cag for the summer, close in, during daylight but what about the other 8 months of the year?

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

The analogy of clothes to wear when driving belongs to David. He suggests that you need the equivalent of F1 safety gear for a tootle round the country lanes on a Sunday, which is a good analogy of my Kayak usage if you read the earlier posts.

I don't 'play' in the surf, I don't fish in inclement weather and I don't venture far offshore. All I am looking for is something that will give the equivalent of a car safety belt should I have a minor accident like falling in. If I did fall in I would not want to heroically carry on fishing, with or without a smile on my face. I would put on the extra the clothing carried inside the hold, and then paddle ashore. For that sort of use a neoprene suit and thermals would seem to fit the bill.

I'm sorry if the earlier post came across as impertinent, but I am weary of the gung - ho, paddle through the breakers, roll 360 degrees and carry on regardless view that permeates any thread on fishing from a kayak. Some of us buy a kayak in order to fish from and nothing more. I wonder how many of these 'safety first' kayakers check their tyre pressures every week.

Regards, Clive

The analogy of clothes to wear when driving belongs to David. He suggests that you need the equivalent of F1 safety gear for a tootle round the country lanes on a Sunday, which is a good analogy of my Kayak usage if you read the earlier posts.
Having just read all the earlier posts

you can imagine my surprise when I saw that it was in fact YOU not SDD who mentions F1 safety gear! :yeah:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Having just read all the earlier posts

you can imagine my surprise when I saw that it was in fact YOU not SDD who mentions F1 safety gear! :yeah:

If you had read them properly you would have seen this....

The beaming smile and relaxed feeling I get when out on the sea fishing is PRICELESS. You wouldn't sit in the car in just your undies because you PROBABLY wont break down laugh.gif (although might try it ha ha) laugh.gif

Do try and keep up :rolleyes:

Regards, Clive

Kayaking is ALWAYS first :yeah: you must get to your fishing mark safely and ready to face any weather conditions and accidental tips into the wet stuff, THEN you can fish :)

The beaming smile and relaxed feeling I get when out on the sea fishing is PRICELESS. You wouldn't sit in the car in just your undies because you PROBABLY wont break down :lol: (although might try it ha ha) :lol:

All the best

SEADOODAVID~~~~~~~ :sun:

no mention of formula 1 here

Here it is in one of your posts -He as you call him Does not suggest anything he just mentions undies---are you sure you're of sound mind?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph