Anglers Should Be Licensed And their Catches Restricted.

glennk

Apparantly cod have not returned to the grand banks because the water is actually to cold now. :g:

That is also very likely.

There is also a northern limit to cod where it is to cold for them, if currents change and cold water from those areas move down it would have just the same effect as warm water.

I would add that there is now research saying the southern north sea is still capable of having a cod population. Its just the the commercial fishermen have taken them away.

There is still a cod population here. just not a very big one .

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could that be the 40% of unaccountable fish ICES can't find?

Nah ICES aren't that stupid wurzel they know where that fish went as do you and I. Into the cod end onto the boat, onto the market and not into the log book.

Hopefully not any longer though. Shame there isnt more Navey boats like that one that keeps visiting Whitby.

Edited by glennk

Nah ICES aren't that stupid wurzel they know where that fish went as do you and I. Into the cod end onto the boat, onto the market and not into the log book.

Hopefully not any longer though. Shame there isnt more Navey boats like that one that keeps visiting Whitby.

Ices are that stupid and you must know a lot more that I.

The Navy don't need any more protection vessels, the ones they have struggle to find enough boats to keep them busy.

The last time we got boarded no 1 son asked what other boats they had boarded that day, this was about 3pm." None you are the first fishing boat we have seen today" was the reply.

Ices are that stupid and you must know a lot more that I.

The Navy don't need any more protection vessels, the ones they have struggle to find enough boats to keep them busy.

The last time we got boarded no 1 son asked what other boats they had boarded that day, this was about 3pm." None you are the first fishing boat we have seen today" was the reply.

The funny thing is wurzel there seems to be good reports of the local keel boats saying they are doing very well at the present time i know one boat landed 50 boxes of codling for 2 days, this is the lads words there is hardly any boats there now it has got pick up so if that is the case what brought the decline in the first place was it to much effort .

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

I was not believed when I posted that there were hardly any commercial boats left fishing offshore in the central North Sea. Likewise, I doubt you will be believed in what you have said. The replies that will come back are likely to be along the lines of “There is a massive fleet of commercial ships out there, we are just not looking in the right places for them” and/or “The remaining commercial boats operating nowadays are as efficient at catching as the thousands that there once were”.

JB

P.S. What exactly are you finding when you gut the cod?

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

The funny thing is wurzel there seems to be good reports of the local keel boats saying they are doing very well at the present time i know one boat landed 50 boxes of codling for 2 days, this is the lads words there is hardly any boats there now it has got pick up so if that is the case what brought the decline in the first place was it to much effort .

Hello Big Cod

Do you not think that nearly Zero recruitment for several years had any thing to do with it?

Especially as you say they are working on codlings.

Hello Big Cod

Do you not think that nearly Zero recruitment for several years had any thing to do with it?

Especially as you say they are working on codlings.

Going back to the winter 1997 there was one hell of run of codling between 2-5lb range it was litterally knee deep but that winter but then at least 10 90ft plus boats from peterhead started working these local grounds and it was dip and fill thousands and thousands of boxes of codlings were taken from this part of the coast that winter by these 90ft boats even they couldnt believe what was coming up in the codend this went on for 4 winters till it wasnt viable economicly to fish here as the expences often run over £20000 a week for these vessels, they were hammering the local stock which i honestly believe this part of the east coast has a local stock.

Now if you cant believe these boats did immense damage here a local bylaw was passed by NESF and put in place for boats over 60ft to fish aback of 6 mile as most of these boats were often bang on the 3 mile limit and at times inside of it this was because local fishermen new these boats were doing real damage to the local stock which these guys would try and fish all year they lobbeyed the northesetern sea fisheries to impose the bylaw now if that isnt over fishing i dont know what is.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

I was not believed when I posted that there were hardly any commercial boats left fishing offshore in the central North Sea. Likewise, I doubt you will be believed in what you have said. The replies that will come back are likely to be along the lines of “There is a massive fleet of commercial ships out there, we are just not looking in the right places for them” and/or “The remaining commercial boats operating nowadays are as efficient at catching as the thousands that there once were”.

JB

P.S. What exactly are you finding when you gut the cod?

Hello John

As I say the cod at this end of the pond aren’t doing so well, even so there are signs of a better recruitment for the last two years.

Even several of the smaller 2lb fish are showing signs of not being well.

For example Sunday we caught one full box of cod as a by catch with the soles and bass.

In that box were 4 bigger fish of about 8 to 10lb, I threw 3 away they were full of cancers, blind skinny liver and the glands at the point where the head meets the back bone are swollen and full of white spots, by the liver I mean the red organ that lies up near the back bone not the large cream coloured one used for oil.

Even the one bonny fish of about 10lb on closer inspection revealed a couple of white spots on the liver, it was ill just did not know it yet.

The rest of the box contained fish of 2 to 3lb about 40% showed the same symptoms of varying degrees.

We've noticed this more over the last few years, it's always the first cod to show, after a bit they get less and are replaced by much better fish and by the spring we see very few ill fish, I don't see many while wreck fishing off shore either.

I am only saying what I and other fishermen in this area have observed, I am not saying that all cod in all areas are the same, perhaps it's some thing that I should not mention, not exactly a good marketing ploy.

Hello John

As I say the cod at this end of the pond aren’t doing so well, even so there are signs of a better recruitment for the last two years.

Even several of the smaller 2lb fish are showing signs of not being well.

For example Sunday we caught one full box of cod as a by catch with the soles and bass.

In that box were 4 bigger fish of about 8 to 10lb, I threw 3 away they were full of cancers, blind skinny liver and the glands at the point where the head meets the back bone are swollen and full of white spots, by the liver I mean the red organ that lies up near the back bone not the large cream coloured one used for oil.

Even the one bonny fish of about 10lb on closer inspection revealed a couple of white spots on the liver, it was ill just did not know it yet.

The rest of the box contained fish of 2 to 3lb about 40% showed the same symptoms of varying degrees.

We've noticed this more over the last few years, it's always the first cod to show, after a bit they get less and are replaced by much better fish and by the spring we see very few ill fish, I don't see many while wreck fishing off shore either.

I am only saying what I and other fishermen in this area have observed, I am not saying that all cod in all areas are the same, perhaps it's some thing that I should not mention, not exactly a good marketing ploy.

In the eighties it was rife with codling covered in ulcers and growths we used to have a boat what went out the tees and burn harmfull chemicals at sea toxins etc it actually made the front page of the local rag how north faceing hedges somehow has all been burn without explanation this no longer happens now and we dont get codling with the same ill affects as those in the eighties is something poisening those fish wurzel.

Untitled-1.jpg

Going back to the winter 1997 there was one hell of run of codling between 2-5lb range it was litterally knee deep but that winter but then at least 10 90ft plus boats from peterhead started working these local grounds and it was dip and fill thousands and thousands of boxes of codlings were taken from this part of the coast that winter by these 90ft boats even they couldnt believe what was coming up in the codend this went on for 4 winters till it wasnt viable economicly to fish here as the expences often run over £20000 a week for these vessels, they were hammering the local stock which i honestly believe this part of the east coast has a local stock.

Now if you cant believe these boats did immense damage here a local bylaw was passed by NESF and put in place for boats over 60ft to fish aback of 6 mile as most of these boats were often bang on the 3 mile limit and at times inside of it this was because local fishermen new these boats were doing real damage to the local stock which these guys would try and fish all year they lobbeyed the northesetern sea fisheries to impose the bylaw now if that isnt over fishing i dont know what is.

Hello Big cod

Probably a result of the Winter of 95-6 .If cod had successful spawning years like 95 every year then fisheries like you describe can continue, even if is was once every other year perhaps, not once every 10 or more years though.

I could question your amounts caught, I have experience of Whitby’s pub rumours remember, but we won't get into that.

I agree you could describe it as over fishing, over fishing of that small area not the whole north sea.

Just a thought.

With expenses of over £20,000 per week those big boats are more stock friendly than small boats, once they have to leave to find better pay fishing they leave an all full amount of fish behind.