Re-using software (Word)

My son is using a new laptop which doesn't have Word. I have an old Office Home and Student 2007 disc in the drawer, and I think it was installed on a now defunct computer, so I am wondering if he can use it to save spending £100. 2 queries:

How can I check that this product key is not in use on either of the other computers in the house?

If I'm right that it is on a dead computer, can it be used again?

john clarke

I use open office ,not perfect but free.

My sister has problems with office ,she uses it but finds some clients use old versions which cannot "see" the modern ones ,she has to find out if they are computer savvy then provide a link to the office viewer (opens new versions on old machines) or convert her stuff to pdf and send it like that ,recently some people dont even have the brains to use pdf so has to use something else and these people are housing agents which you would think have enough money to have up to date machines!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You can install it on the new computer. It should work and if it does, you are good to go.

However, unless there is some reason he specifically needs MS Word (and an out-of-date version) you probably want to download and install the free Open Office. It is an office suite that includes a good word processor as well as a spread sheet and some other goodies. The word processor is similar enough to MS Word that it won't take much time to get used to it. I have the latest version of MS Office on my PC but prefer to use the Open Office applications.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I use open office ,not perfect but free.

My sister has problems with office ,she uses it but finds some clients use old versions which cannot "see" the modern ones ,she has to find out if they are computer savvy then provide a link to the office viewer (opens new versions on old machines) or convert her stuff to pdf and send it like that ,recently some people dont even have the brains to use pdf so has to use something else and these people are housing agents which you would think have enough money to have up to date machines!

you know if you click "save as" there is an option to save in older .doc formats (1997+) instead of new .docx its in the drop down in the save file dialog

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

you know if you click "save as" there is an option to save in older .doc formats (1997+) instead of new .docx its in the drop down in the save file dialog

Too easy ....and ofcourse you dont know if the recipient can read it before sending it .

My sister isnt 100% savvy either LOL

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My son is using a new laptop which doesn't have Word. I have an old Office Home and Student 2007 disc in the drawer, and I think it was installed on a now defunct computer, so I am wondering if he can use it to save spending £100. 2 queries:

How can I check that this product key is not in use on either of the other computers in the house?

If I'm right that it is on a dead computer, can it be used again?

It's only since office 2010 that Ms activation will properly count your code usage and tell you if the product is activated too many times!

However, in the same way as windows, you can scam the system and phone activate any number of times with no issue whatsoever.

Legally, if a computer is completely destroyed etc then you can reuse the licence on a new system

If you want to check codes in use on the other systems head here:

Www.belarc.com

And download and run the Advisor software; it will tell you all the serials on your system.

Edited by kirisute
  • Like 1