Seriously considering emigrating - advice needed.

phooey

Well, following a discussion at work with some of the politically adept I have come to the conclusion the UK is totally screwed as a country and I want out ( along with the other 5 million UK citizens that have left since Labour came to power ). :(

Obviously the fishing has to be brilliant, the country stable and property affordable.

I like the look of Australia, Florida and New Zealand but never been further than Teneriffe. I know there's guys on here from all over the place and would welcome the advice of anyone with experience of the above or similar venues. :sun:

Would be great to be able to offer accommodation to the guys I know on here :)

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No pike in any of those places. Big sharks though.

South Africa's great - but not as safe as it used to be. Why not head to France or spain? decent weather, decent way of life, decent fishing and decent food - and close enough to come back and see friends/family.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

I spent 3 years in Australia, very nice people to get on with, great country,

the wild life is something else, I have been to all the towns and citys in Oz, but Perth WA was the best.

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Well, following a discussion at work with some of the politically adept I have come to the conclusion the UK is totally screwed as a country and I want out ( along with the other 5 million UK citizens that have left since Labour came to power ). :(

Obviously the fishing has to be brilliant, the country stable and property affordable.

I like the look of Australia, Florida and New Zealand but never been further than Teneriffe. I know there's guys on here from all over the place and would welcome the advice of anyone with experience of the above or similar venues. :sun:

Would be great to be able to offer accommodation to the guys I know on here :)

Unless you're brilliant at picking up new languages and able to change your lifestyle and attitudes to fit in with a totally different culture and values, I'd stick to the English speaking options. This of course means travelling half way round the world, so you have to be more certain about your decision as it's not easy to come back. You definitely have to go and visit to even begin to make a decision. Personally, I'd be thinking about Oz, NZ is beautiful but too remote, and the US.. well if you think the UK is screwed... :lol::lol::lol:

But maybe you don't have to go that far, have you thought about Ireland? OK you don't get the sunshine, but otherwise I reckon it fits the bill and you'd be more likely to see some of us more regularly.

Unless you're brilliant at picking up new languages and able to change your lifestyle and attitudes to fit in with a totally different culture and values, I'd stick to the English speaking options. This of course means travelling half way round the world, so you have to be more certain about your decision as it's not easy to come back. You definitely have to go and visit to even begin to make a decision. Personally, I'd be thinking about Oz, NZ is beautiful but too remote, and the US.. well if you think the UK is screwed... :lol::lol::lol:

But maybe you don't have to go that far, have you thought about Ireland? OK you don't get the sunshine, but otherwise I reckon it fits the bill and you'd be more likely to see some of us more regularly.

You don't have to be 'brilliant' at picking up new languages to move to France, and the French lifestyle and attitude is what one go to France for, non? I did not do any French at school and I picked it up in a year or so. The French are good people and will meet you half-way 'si vous faites un petit effort'. You can choose your climate from just the same as here (Normandy and Brittany) to mediterranean in the south, to damn near tropical in Corsica.

France has good fishing, good food, excellent schools, excellent housing and a really good health system.

Moving to Oz is difficult if you don't have contacts their already. My cousin married an Aussie and even that did not get her automatic admission. She now lives in WA (best state in Australia)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Cyprus has a lot going for it. The people are welcoming, English is widely spoken, they drive on the left, the weather is good, there is a stable infrastructure and the cost of living is not expensive.

As for fishing:- Inland there are dams containing large carp, catfish, large mouth bass, zander and a few other notable quarry including tench and hutchen here and there. The higher dams contain rainbow and brown trout. The harbours are full of fish too, mainly mullet and bass. You can also expect to catch albacore, amberjack, bluefish, barracuda, bream and that's just the first two letters of the alphabet. You can go right on past tuna & white shark to xiphias gladius (swordfish) all of which can be caught a few miles offshore.

We'll be there for good in 2011 at the latest.

Regards, Clive

You don't have to be 'brilliant' at picking up new languages to move to France, and the French lifestyle and attitude is what one go to France for, non? I did not do any French at school and I picked it up in a year or so. The French are good people and will meet you half-way 'si vous faites un petit effort'. You can choose your climate from just the same as here (Normandy and Brittany) to mediterranean in the south, to damn near tropical in Corsica.

France has good fishing, good food, excellent schools, excellent housing and a really good health system.

Yeah, I agree with you, but for you to have learnt French in a year and found it so easy to integrate makes you an exception rather than the rule(well done btw). There are any number of stories of Brits who have moved to France and Spain, only to return once the sun&sangria has worn off or when they realise there's no NHS when they get old and sick. Then they're faced with problems of having fallen off the bottom of the property market. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's not a decision to be taken lightly because you're feeling p*ssed off at the moment.(not an unusual mindset at this time of year) No disrespect to my mate Phoo, but if you've only ever been out of the country once in your life, I would think it'd be a good idea to do a bit of travelling before you start thinking about emigrating.

My mate suffers from the U.K winter weather, usual colds, flu and stuff but also makes him a bit depressed and lethargic. He'd had enough of hibernating for 6 months of the year so he moved, to Austria. It sounds strange but the cold over there is different (apparantly) and no-one hibernates over there. He loves it there in the spring and summer with all the lakes reaching 28 degrees and the fishing is plentifull. Once the winter comes the snow starts and everyone just gets on with life, the place he's moved to is in the lake district and it's one big playground for ski'ers.

I sympathise with your view on the state of the country Phooey, and it's only going to get wors next year. My wife not wanting to emigrate is the only thing that keeps me here, otherwise I would have gone long ago.

Have you though about the channel islands, they are under british crown but do have different laws and constitutions than the mainland, fishing is good too.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

My friends and family all say to move abroad but only one lot of friends I know has ever gone. They moved to Canada and have never looked back. They got 2 huge farms there and hundreds upon hundreds of acres of land.

My father-in-law to be :huh: always tells me to move abroad and set up my own charter business. It would be nice to do but would take a lot of guts and capital.

If you do go somewhere, be sure it is somewhere nice with plenty of space so we can all visit :thumbs:

Good luck in whatever you decide to do mate.

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse