Seriously considering emigrating - advice needed.

phooey

If we had to pick a country to emigrate to 'from a travel brochure' so to speak, for me and my tribe Canada would get the vote. Good fishing, not overpopulated, skiing, mountains, lakes, countryside, wildernesses, language (probably) not a big issue, and popping down to Florida for a bit of sun, and back to the UK not too difficult at all.

[sorry S2VTO, did not see your post before I had finished the above].

Moonyaker

Edited by Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Phooey, we don't really want to see you go,

but if you do.....I begs your kayak :yeah:

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

How about the I.O.W. Phoo :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Yeah, I agree with you, but for you to have learnt French in a year and found it so easy to integrate makes you an exception rather than the rule(well done btw). There are any number of stories of Brits who have moved to France and Spain, only to return once the sun&sangria has worn off or when they realise there's no NHS when they get old and sick. Then they're faced with problems of having fallen off the bottom of the property market. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's not a decision to be taken lightly because you're feeling p*ssed off at the moment.(not an unusual mindset at this time of year) No disrespect to my mate Phoo, but if you've only ever been out of the country once in your life, I would think it'd be a good idea to do a bit of travelling before you start thinking about emigrating.

Well for one thing it has taken me 17 years to learn to speak French, not 1, and I am still learning. I don't know how Spain works (should be the same as the rest of the EU) but you can get treatment on the French NHS. You need a 'European Health Insurance Card' This is free from www.dh.gov.uk/travellers. This will entitle you to the same benefits as a Frenchman in France or a Spaniard in Spain. You would also be best to get a 'mutuelle'. This is an insurance policy to pay for the money you cannot claim back.

The French NHS is complicated. It is not 'free at the point of source' like the UK, it is more like an insurance based system. You pay up front, then you claim it back.

Remember that you can go and live ANYWHERE in the EU without asking anyone's permission. Canada, New Zealand and Australia will only take you if you have a profession that they are lacking members of.

A word of advice if you move to France or Spain. Find some place a long way from where the British ex-pats live. If you can't get buy without bacon and eggs and brown sauce, do yourself a favour and stay at home.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Well, following a discussion at work with some of the politically adept I have come to the conclusion the UK is totally screwed as a country and I want out ( along with the other 5 million UK citizens that have left since Labour came to power ). :(

Obviously the fishing has to be brilliant, the country stable and property affordable.

I like the look of Australia, Florida and New Zealand but never been further than Teneriffe. I know there's guys on here from all over the place and would welcome the advice of anyone with experience of the above or similar venues. :sun:

Would be great to be able to offer accommodation to the guys I know on here :)

You can find out if you have what it takes to migrate to Australia here.

There is a similar site run by New Zealand here.

If your thinking about moving to the good ol' US of A I would send a PM to Newt, but from what I know of such things you need a Green Card to work in the Land of the Free and the chances of a UK citizen getting one are slim.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Been there done all that for 12 years! including 6 years in Cyprus.

Nothing beats a pint on a summers Sunday afternoon by the river Test.

Mind you it would be Canada tomorrow if I had a trade they wanted. :P

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

What about Scotland, :yeah:

On second thoughts maybe not. If you think your having crap weather.....my Kayak's been in the rack for 4 weeks now. Gales one day then strong winds the next. It's daylight for around 6 hours a day at the moment. If it's not snowing it's raining, hey ho , tis the season to be jolly...... :cry:

Neil.