Sea angling monthly

Martin Hurst

I'd personally tell him to get stuffed. Safety feature my arse - he's probably trying damage limitation (probably under orders) and will then swing the article in whichever way he pleases in my view.

He should do a safety feature on fishing from a boat, not a yak. He could perhaps do a feature on how safe a yak is compared to a boat, contrary to his stupid blinkered comments.

I have no more time for the man.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd personally tell him to get stuffed. Safety feature my arse - he's probably trying damage limitation (probably under orders) and will then swing the article in whichever way he pleases in my view.

He should do a safety feature on fishing from a boat, not a yak. He could perhaps do a feature on how safe a yak is compared to a boat, contrary to his stupid blinkered comments.

I have no more time for the man.

See ya point Mark!! The only reason I would entertain such a thing is that I wonder if anyone has read the article and made a decision about whether to purchase a yak or start the sport, and maybe at least someone (anyone involved in sea kayaking really) may be able to put right the rubbish that has been said in a responsible manner. The truth hurts and when he eventually sees that sea kayaking and indeed kayak fishing is as safe as other water craft fishing (in some cases safer, as has been stated that kayak fishermen / women seem to have all the gear!) then he will have no choice to put right his wrong! The alternative is to say nothing! what does this say to people when they will probably guess that kayak fishermen read the mag (or used to ha ha).

Although I must admit mate the temptation is to just say stuff yer mag where the sun don't shine :blink: but it may be just me, have always been a fighter ha ha :boxing:

All the best

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

See ya point Mark!! The only reason I would entertain such a thing is that I wonder if anyone has read the article and made a decision about whether to purchase a yak or start the sport, and maybe at least someone (anyone involved in sea kayaking really) may be able to put right the rubbish that has been said in a responsible manner. The truth hurts and when he eventually sees that sea kayaking and indeed kayak fishing is as safe as other water craft fishing (in some cases safer, as has been stated that kayak fishermen / women seem to have all the gear!) then he will have no choice to put right his wrong! The alternative is to say nothing! what does this say to people when they will probably guess that kayak fishermen read the mag (or used to ha ha).

Although I must admit mate the temptation is to just say stuff yer mag where the sun don't shine :blink: but it may be just me, have always been a fighter ha ha :boxing:

All the best

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

Just had a thought (rare! ha ha) somebody should send him the mpeg movie of the guy on here jumping off and on a scupper pro kayak! Lets see him do that on a 17 foot capsised fishing boat!!!

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Edited by SeaDooDavid

Just had a thought (rare! ha ha) somebody should send him the mpeg movie of the guy on here jumping off and on a scupper pro kayak! Lets see him do that on a 17 foot capsised fishing boat!!!

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

here is the mail i received quote:

Trevor

Just been running some of your ideas and suggestions past my dinghy

writers/anglers and they can see a value and interest in kayak angling.

In fact, Dave Lewis, a fire brigade RIB training officer, would be very

keen to get involved, especially if it promoted not only the enjoyment

of fishing from kayaks but explained the safety side of the sport as

well. So we are wondering if Dave could join you in Jersey, and maybe

we could team up with the Training School you are talking about, to

take the would be yakker through the drills, equipment needed ( safety

and fishing) and then maybe write a proper feature on fishing from a

kayak. I am not against kayaks, I just want to do it correctly.

Regards

Mel Russ

or we could send the m-peg of the three yakkers and the killer whale that would be freaky :rolleyes:

Edited by jerseytrev

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

I'd say " Go for it JT" At least you've been given the chance to show them what we're all about. Don't be shy, you'll probably find that when it comes down to it, they don't know a fat lot more than you do :thumbs:

Stu.

Dave Lewis was talking about coming out with us last year - then he had the same response from Up Top.

I just think they are very slow to respond - they'll come round eventually. Anglers Mail did a feature and are happy to have something else.

Go for JT - make sure they take you out for a good meal though - the Pottery isn't too dear for their expense account!!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

In years gone by the cover of Sea Angler has as I recall most frequently been adorned by photos of either Cod or Bass. Newer rival magazines seem to follow this formula too.

Stocks and catches of both have of course diminished massively over the last 20 years and yet they still still appear as ‘cover girls’ so to speak. I am convinced that the picture of a Bass or a Cod on the front cover of a fishing magazine increases sales and that is why they are used so frequently.

The underlying sales message of the covers I guess must be….’ If you are not catching fish like this, you need us to tell you how to’…and with diminishing stocks perhaps they actually increased sales.

Now, if kayak fishing is an alternative response to poor shore fishing this is at odds with an ethos which appears to me to be ‘ if you aint catching it is because you are not casting far enough’.

Those at Sea Angler have however entertained us well over the years and it is not their fault that the quality of shore fishing has diminished.

To acknowledge that kayak fishing was more fun than being able to cast 200 metres or more would not I think really do Sea Angler a lot of good in the short term.

But, not to acknowledge that Kayak fishing was perhaps a better approach to getting some fishing entertainment than casting to the horizon…..well, that is perhaps their dilemma!……………….

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

To be quite frank the mans a Pratt . As a journalist he should be exploring new exciting opportunities. What an opportunity he has tossed away , as well as a number of annual subscriptions , including mine. :) Night mel , sent an email to your boss incuding all the comments on here and the buisness you've tossed away with your jaundiced views. :lol:

Spot on Martin! Yak fishing is a booming sport, when other angling is in serious decline. A pratt indeed.