Sea angling monthly

Martin Hurst

I dont think its fair having a personal go at anyone, how can anyone really comment on the proffesional abilities of mel russ, he's run the most successful sea mag for years? - if you don't like it just dont buy it - of course everyone has views and opinions on kayak fishing, he is concerned with safety which is a sensible issue and one to which he must feel responsible to his readers, hardly the thoughts of a "pratt" - it makes no difference to my yak fishing wether or not the sport is covered in "FHM" or sea angler - anyway merryxmas to all

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think its fair having a personal go at anyone, how can anyone really comment on the proffesional abilities of mel russ, he's run the most successful sea mag for years? he is concerned with safety which is a sensible issue and one to which he must feel responsible to his readers

that's why he's published photos for years of boat anglers without the correct safety gear

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

All of these mags are run with self interest in mind, they are after all a business. If they put a photo of some bloke holding up a Pouting on the front cover, they wouldn't sell many. Also, if they told the truth, and wrote articles about not catching any fish, cos there aint any left, they wouldn't last long.

I treat these publications with caution. Their reports are fantasy most of the time. They use every trick in the book to make a small fish look gigantic, with the angler holding the fish out at arms length, and the fish in close up. A 5 pounder looks massive.

Just go fishing, make your own mind up as to wether it's worth it, and ditch the mags.

Keep reporting on here though. :thumbs:

I dont think its fair having a personal go at anyone, how can anyone really comment on the proffesional abilities of mel russ, he's run the most successful sea mag for years? - if you don't like it just dont buy it - of course everyone has views and opinions on kayak fishing, he is concerned with safety which is a sensible issue and one to which he must feel responsible to his readers, hardly the thoughts of a "pratt" - it makes no difference to my yak fishing wether or not the sport is covered in "FHM" or sea angler - anyway merryxmas to all

I agree with what you say on the whole, but someone wrote a letter to SA and it was published without research. That is the issue. As editor he should have looked into the comments and had the final word on publishing.

Safety is paramount when near, or on the sea, this applies to all diciplines of the sport, not just Kayaks. Mell is quite happy to run articles on shore fishing in NE Scotland where an angler can be seen in the pictures within feet of a surging 20' swell, with NO safety equipment what so ever. But to run an article on SOT's fishing on an inshore mark in relatively calm conditions, could this be deemed more dangerous in comparison ?

I can walk into WH Smith and pick up a monthly on, Crossbows, Shotguns, Fast cars , even blowing up buildings. I think the humble Sea Kayak might just be the safer option.

As you say , he is entitled to his opinion. But I think if he had said that all small boat owners are destroying the Envoironment with high levels of Emissions ,and should stop immediatley, he would have been told where to go.

If his personal opinion is that Kayaks are unsafe for offshore use then fine. But in his position ,commercially damaging opinions should be kept out of print.

Anyway here's a pic from today taken offshore in the middle of December, my brother endangering his life in a SOT Kayak.

100_1680.jpg

And yes, we carry flares, VHF, GPS, Sounder, 1st Aid Kit, spare paddle, water, and kitchen sink to name but a few.

Merry Christmas

Neil.

Edited by Neil

That is an idilic picture neil, I'm gonna take a copy if you dont mind.

Anyway back on topic, I think Mel Russ has put his foot in it. The magazine makes it's money from advertising, he has done himself and the mag no favours at all by slating kayaking.

Personally I dont really care what his opinion is but I do feel passionate about yak fishing and I am constantly engaging in enthusiastic conversation with people when launching and retrieving, the amount of times I am quizzed over what I am going to do with that skinny piece of plastic and all that fishing gear is quite suprising. I even tell people to write down an e-mail address for me to send them links to yak fishing sites so they can see for themselves what a fantastic sport it is.

My kayak has already been called a cockleshell by one of my crane drivers in work :wallbash: , I was not happy and he spent the rest of the day needlessly moving gear around the deck in a circle. I think he got the message :D

Rant over, I got a yak to get ready and fish to catch :fishing1:

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

I ultimatley agree with you hursty, and everyone else firing at SA, I could rant on for ages about how that mag has gone downhill in recent years, the paradox is that they are willing to accept money from kayak producers (hobie for one), however my wallet does the talking - I have fished passionatley all my life from river, shore and boat, but the thrill of discovering yak fishing this year was overwhelming - there is no doubt that there will be an explosion of sea kayakers in 2007 - but here lies the problem for sea angler -I like many have been self taught, learning as i went along, I would be foolish to ignore the twitching of the anal nerve when i first put my yak in a tide, and when the unforecast sea breeze whipped up a choppy sea within minutes - now after 6 months expierence the old nerve twitches less and less, and i just love being out there, with all the safety aspects taken care of - there are so many conflicting ideas on safety issues, for instance correct clothing, that i feel there should be some official code that newcomers could refer to - i am sure sea angler are aware of the sports popularity and the influx that is happening which they can not ignore for long -with more yakkers entering the sport i feel there will be a serious accident sooner or later, and sea angler dont want to be assoicated with it - it is clear some sort of dialogue is the responsible way forward.

Happy New Year to you all from sunny spain. I have read with interest all the comments about kayak fishing and Sea Angler. I am based down in Southern Spain and do not have access to the magazine on a regular basis. What exactly was written. I am a journalist and professional fisherman and alongside my freshwater and shore fishing holidays and courses have just launched the first kayak fishing holiday business down here. The Mediterranean is perfect for the sport and safety is of the paramount importance as with any form of fishing. My sites are www.garysmithfishing.com and www.kayakfishingspain.com

It would be interesting to know what caused such a response.

Gary Smith

Gary Smith

Crowle North Lincolnshire UK / Maldives / Puerto De Mazarron Murcia Spain

Gary Smith Fishing

Maldives Fishing Holidays

Fishing 7 Lakes

SERIOUS ACCIDENT will happen shortly - to a kayak angler. I suppose you are right in your thinking - and hopefully it will be ONE individual (I actually hope it won't be anyone at all) as opposed to the small boat tragedies that occur EVERY year with several people being lost at one time from one boat - last month it was a team of 3 off Cumbria, and then there were a couple of lads in Portland Race, just two recent incidents that spring immediately to mind - but I suppose those don't count to Sea Angler, because they happen all the time.

Get ONE kayak incident and you watch the roof go up.....

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo