http://www.bbc.co.uk...merset-32127454

C.

"Study to be quiet."   ><((º>   My Blog

#2 ayjay

ayjay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts
  • Interests:Knife licking: birdwatching : :playing with mud and fire: beer.

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:21 PM

£135K to move 55 voles!

And why not?

A lot cheaper than the pointless culling of Oxyura jamaicensis, (the Ruddy Duck) -  and the Voles are still alive.

#3 Worms

Worms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts
  • Interests:Coarse sea and game angling, mainly with vintage tackle, wildlife, especially otters, Vintage motorcycles, eating wild caught fish......the list goes on

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:25 PM

A consultancy would likely charge in the region of £70/hr for a senior ecologist doing the job (he wouldn't get anything like that) so 6 months work...!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

#4 Latimeria

Latimeria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:59 AM

£6,000,000 to protect a few already heavily-subsidised businesses and second homes!

#5 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts
  • Interests:Sea Angling, Conservation and shooting.

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

And why not?

A lot cheaper than the pointless culling of Oxyura jamaicensis, (the Ruddy Duck) -  and the Voles are still alive.

:doh: Could have got some perfectly competent volunteers to do the job for a lot less, perks for a friend of a friend I suspect.  :doh:

#6 ayjay

ayjay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts
  • Interests:Knife licking: birdwatching : :playing with mud and fire: beer.

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:24 PM

:doh: Could have got some perfectly competent volunteers to do the job for a lot less, perks for a friend of a friend I suspect.  :doh:

Unfortunately Norm, the world no longer works like that, your volunteers would have to be qualified in all manner of things and probably licensed to go within half a mile of a Water Vole:  and who's going to ensure that they wear a life jacket once they're within sight of a puddle? ;)

#7 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts
  • Interests:Sea Angling, Conservation and shooting.

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

Unfortunately Norm, the world no longer works like that, your volunteers would have to be qualified in all manner of things and probably licensed to go within half a mile of a Water Vole:  and who's going to ensure that they wear a life jacket once they're within sight of a puddle? ;)

:clap3: A lot of volunteers are well qualified in a lot of things these days, it's just a matter of knowing the right people or having a funny handshake.   :yucky: