New drier Yaks for 2007 ...

Volusian

That's a punt, not a kayak - and look at the type of water he is fishing! He wouldn't last 2 minutes in most of our water. Fine for the swamps where he is chasing his reds - but off Wales for a tope, Scotland for anything? Yorkshire for their cod. Not a hope.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a punt, not a kayak - and look at the type of water he is fishing! He wouldn't last 2 minutes in most of our water. Fine for the swamps where he is chasing his reds - but off Wales for a tope, Scotland for anything? Yorkshire for their cod. Not a hope.

Yorkshire for their cod ............ where ..?? they all bloody gone ... lol

I thought Yorkshire was the mecca for cod!!

What happened to your codling trips?

there are a few smallish codling around but not in the numbers they used to be. The waters are still quite warm really and should be ice cold now. I was surf kayaking other day and the water temp wasnt too bad ... still too warm for lots of codling ...

hopefully the cold will really arrive soon and bring the cod with it ( i hope ).

Volusian,

I've paddled and pedaled a few sit-on-tops and the main problem with the wet arse comes from the paddle water running down and off the shaft. Having paddled the latest Kaskasi to arrive on British shores, the Pelican, I was determined to try and get some water on board to see how the new Scupper sytem worked, not easy on a very dry yak, but even with her dryness, there was still a small amount of water under my bum, this had dripped from the paddle shaft.

The other issue is paddler weight, I don't suffer with a wet backside in either the Tarpon 140 or Prowler 13, but those that have tried them do, an extra stone in weight can make all the difference as can paddling style.

If you really can't stand having a wet bum then maybe you should stop paddling and start Pedaling, the Hobie Adventure doesn't suffer with a wet backside and nor do the other models, this is probably due to the fact that you don't need to use a paddle therefore no water falling into your lap.

Please remember though you are partisipating in a watersport, you must expect to get wet.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Maybe the wind will drop with the temperatures!

We need one or two strong North/Easterly storms to hit the East Coast ..... after that the Codling seem to be there ... Its all Westerlies at the moment. Cayton Bay Nr scarborough is excellent for Codling Jan - Mar. Also Flamborough North Landing is a good codding spot. ... Nice scenery too with lots of seals close in.

Flamborough - North landing. http://www.flamboroughmanor.co.uk/northlanding1.jpg

Volusian,

I've paddled and pedaled a few sit-on-tops and the main problem with the wet arse comes from the paddle water running down and off the shaft. Having paddled the latest Kaskasi to arrive on British shores, the Pelican, I was determined to try and get some water on board to see how the new Scupper sytem worked, not easy on a very dry yak, but even with her dryness, there was still a small amount of water under my bum, this had dripped from the paddle shaft.

The other issue is paddler weight, I don't suffer with a wet backside in either the Tarpon 140 or Prowler 13, but those that have tried them do, an extra stone in weight can make all the difference as can paddling style.

If you really can't stand having a wet bum then maybe you should stop paddling and start Pedaling, the Hobie Adventure doesn't suffer with a wet backside and nor do the other models, this is probably due to the fact that you don't need to use a paddle therefore no water falling into your lap.

Please remember though you are partisipating in a watersport, you must expect to get wet.

SM :)

Hi starvin ..

Unfortunately i weigh 16.5 st .... which even on my drifter means a wet ass most of the time. I use the scupper bungs more now and sponge out as needed. Im in the process of making a 2 inch high moulded ribbed hard sponge seat which will make things better and drier i hope.

A 2inch high seat which doesn't have much give will reduce stability.

What clothing do you wear?

I mostly wear a Gul titanium lined wetsuit and some waterproof ( or not so ) leggings. Gul thermal fleece top with Gul Cag and Gul lifejacket.

The leggings do keep water out most of the time but are not as good a a dry suit i suppose. Will have to invest in a good drysuit. I recently tried a drysuit with the front angled zip and thought the Zip was far too stiff and hampered movement.

Do some drysuits come with fitted boots .. ?? .. or are they seperate in all cases.