1-75 t/c rods

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still use 1-75 tc rods I mostly only fish small ish waters for carp not expecting anything over 20. Its so much nicer playing a fish if theres a proper bend in the rod

Edited by badexcuseforanangler

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?

That T/C is fine for playing and landing fish and as noted by badexcuseforanangler, more fun than one of the heavier rods.

If you need to cast a heavy rig to a great distance, you need heavier. If you expect large fish AND have a need to control them quickly (snags, heavy weed, etc.) you need heavier. Otherwise, 1.75 lb is a good rod weight to use.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

One of my rods is 1.75 also got a 1.5 they are excellent for specimen fishing esp on the rivers.Only time i don't use them really is when am using PVA bags or fishing hard to features and it's a hit and hold case ware there are fish above 20lb present..Probably my most used rods.

I still use a 1.5lb t/c rod on small waters when I get the chance! which are snag free and it's very useful on rivers too when trotting for chub etc, so much nicer to play fish on rather than a poker with no feel.

Alan.

Thanks chaps. Glad I'm not alone in using them. Have been prospecting a few day ticket waters and everyone is geared up with heavy rods and big pit reels even on the smallest of lakes. In fact few if any companies seem to offer anything under 2-5 t/c.

Such a pity as I tend to get few hook pulls and enjoy the fight of ALL carp.

Guess it's just another example of the market leading. Just pleased I am not alone. Cheers.

IMHO the size of the carp is irelevant when selecting the TC of a rod.Casting weight/distance being far more important. 1 3/4lb 12' "Three quarter" action rods have been my standard choice for 75%+ of my carp fishing.I go even lighter (1 1/2lb through action) when snag fishing close in but must admit to stepping up to 2lb compound taper when I expect to have to keep fish moving through weed.My 2 3/4lb compound taper rods cover any bag/method/long range work and my ultra fast taper reverse spline rung 3lb jobs kept for out and out distance (120m+) work.

In the right situation and used correctly there is not a carp that swims that a 1 3/4 cant land quite easily...............and more importantly safely. Sadly not as easy (but admitedly possible) to do with the 3-3 1/4lb rods that now seem to be used for all carping!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Hugh,

I've still got and use my Daiwa Whisker carp rods, all 1.75 tc of them. I've never had a problem landing anything on them and see no reason not to carry on using them. As Newt has already said, the only time I'd need a bigger tc is if I was chucking heavy weights out further. To be honest, I never fish anywhere like that so no need to change em !

I've had them for nearly 15 years now and apart from the odd ring repair I can't fault them.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

IMHO the size of the carp is irelevant when selecting the TC of a rod.Casting weight/distance being far more important. 1 3/4lb 12' "Three quarter" action rods have been my standard choice for 75%+ of my carp fishing.I go even lighter (1 1/2lb through action) when snag fishing close in but must admit to stepping up to 2lb compound taper when I expect to have to keep fish moving through weed.My 2 3/4lb compound taper rods cover any bag/method/long range work and my ultra fast taper reverse spline rung 3lb jobs kept for out and out distance (120m+) work.

In the right situation and used correctly there is not a carp that swims that a 1 3/4 cant land quite easily...............and more importantly safely. Sadly not as easy (but admitedly possible) to do with the 3-3 1/4lb rods that now seem to be used for all carping!

Budgie,

Would a lighter test curve rod not be more "forgiving" when playing a large fish???...

I find with my heavier test curve rods that once I get a fish in close it is not so easy to land, do not know if this is my imagination but its asif the fish stands off and says well get wet mate and come and fetch me.

Roger

My point exactly Roger.The more powerfull faster taper rods are definately the tool for getting the bait out to extreme distances but they are always very poor at playing fish.Especially as you say when the fish gets closer and then the unforgiving taper,high TC and lack of stretch (cushioning) in the shorter lengh of line (plus in all fairness an inexperienced/over excited angler pulling that little bit more to bring the fish over the net) is a recipe for hook pulls and dmaged mouths.

Why do people hamper themselves by using such powerfull long range gear for fishing their local 1 acre pits!?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!