1-75 t/c rods

Budgie,

Would a lighter test curve rod not be more "forgiving" when playing a large fish???...

I find with my heavier test curve rods that once I get a fish in close it is not so easy to land, do not know if this is my imagination but its asif the fish stands off and says well get wet mate and come and fetch me.

Roger

A lighter rod would be expected to have a more forgiving action but that is not always the case. The rods overall action and in particular the tip, will have more influence than test curve alone. I have a set of Ng's in 3.5lb test curve for my long range French fishing and they have a wonderfully soft tip. I have total confidence in them when the carp is on a short line close to netting.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just love my through action 2lb north westerns ,so long as your swim is pretty snag free you can almost lead the fish in at their leisure and maybe unaware their actually hooked.

i had a 39lb cat on one and had heard of their fighting ability ,the thing came in without a struggle it was very sack like ,it came awake in the net once it woke up and realised something was going on.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Nice to see the interest in the lighter tods. I personally prefer to use them whenever I can and currently have six which include 2 Harrison 3 piece Tripytechs, 2 Harrison 2 piece 12 footers and an older pair of 12 foot Alan Browns which are still cracking rods. I think that the old Daiwa amorphous were as good as any made and also the original Shimano Diaflash rods which occassionally crop up on e-bay are superb rods. In my opinion they are so versatile provided that you are not trying to cast to the horizon. Great for floater fishing and even better stalking with a pin. I think i'd draw the line at cats though.

Best Regards

tincatinca

I had a pair of the original Daiwa Whisker 1.75lb about 25 yrs ago - really lovely rods and I have always regretted changing them.

I still use a cane Chapman 500 1.5lb rod for stalking and have had carp up to 30lb with them on my lake in France. An absolute joy to play fish on.

I have had two of those lovely Daiwa Whisker Kevlar rods in a 2.25lb test curve for a long time and then more recently managed to get a couple more, as I couldn't bear the thought of ever being without them. Of course, shortly afterwards, a three year old kid stood on the tip of one of them while I was tackling up. Still, I never use more than two rods at any one time, so at least I still have one in reserve. Has anybody got a spare top for one by any remote chance?

Talk of test curves can be almost meaningless though. I used to have an old fibreglass SS6, which I think had a test curve of around 2 pounds. It was certainly a lot tougher than my Shimano Perfection of the same test curve, which definitely won't control a large barbel from the Tidal Trent. I have landed them up to about six pounds with it and it was touch and go all the time. It even struggles to cast a weight of anything much over two ounces. I have a Daiwa 1.25 pound tc rod, a tc that some people recommend for barbel, yet a decent sized dace would wrap it round to the butt.

I consider my Daiwas almost perfect for barbel in the Tidal Trent, but I have seen people handle barbel quite easily on one of those Porky Pig rods, which I should imagine have a test curve a fair bit lower. Perhaps a very fast actioned 1.5 lb tc rod can handle similar casting weights to my Daiwas though.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

The lighter rods are always so much more enjoyable to play fish on and less likely to cause mouth damage due to the lighter pressure on the hookhold. When I fish my lake I usually use my old Chapman 500 cane rod (supposed to be 1.5 tc but more like 1.25) and have landed carp up to 29lb on it. It is a real joy, but you realise that it would not be possible to play a large fish in a snaggy swim with this type of rod - just not enough backbone to stop a running fish.

I have a pair of Shimano Diaflash, a three pound and a 21/2 test and their great for playing fish on. I know their 10 years old but I've yet to use a rod I prefer. Out of all the Carp/Pike rods North Western Dyneemas, Whisker Kevlars and of course my Diaflash are the best of the bunch !

I think i'd draw the line at cats though.

Best Regards

tincatinca

When I first started fishing for Cats in the UK 11' 2lb TC North Western SS5's with 11lb line were our standard gear.Took plenty of 20's on them including Claydons "Brown One" at 35Lb (one of the countries biggest known Cats at the time) a couple of times ( well Rob actually!).

Actually started with 1 3/4lb rods but "stepped up" a bit to 2lb for the slightly larger baits we were using.

In my opinion the heavier TC rods have only come in due to the adopting of 15lb mono as the standard "carp line" back in the 90's.The thicker line requiring heavier leads to reach the same distance and hence forth heavier rods! With the trends of "grass roots" carping being dictated by the guys at the top it was greatly influenced by the long range fishing carried out on just a few (Colne Valley) waters at this time,the popularity of French trips also influencing this.It soon became "standard to use 3lb TC rods,Big Pit reels,15lb line,3ozs+ leads ets even if you were fishing cannals or local park ponds! Monkey see monky does! I concede that with the now popular PVA bag method that 2 1/2-2 3/4lb rods do indeed have a place regardless of water size the choice of carp gear in general has really lost its way! But then Im just an old, stuck in his ways, behind the times, fat old fart! Jeeze dont want to waste valuable drinking and spliff rolling time by playing fish do we?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

When I first started fishing for Cats in the UK 11' 2lb TC North Western SS5's with 11lb line were our standard gear.Took plenty of 20's on them including Claydons "Brown One" at 35Lb (one of the countries biggest known Cats at the time) a couple of times ( well Rob actually!).

Actually started with 1 3/4lb rods but "stepped up" a bit to 2lb for the slightly larger baits we were using.

In my opinion the heavier TC rods have only come in due to the adopting of 15lb mono as the standard "carp line" back in the 90's.The thicker line requiring heavier leads to reach the same distance and hence forth heavier rods! With the trends of "grass roots" carping being dictated by the guys at the top it was greatly influenced by the long range fishing carried out on just a few (Colne Valley) waters at this time,the popularity of French trips also influencing this.It soon became "standard to use 3lb TC rods,Big Pit reels,15lb line,3ozs+ leads ets even if you were fishing cannals or local park ponds! Monkey see monky does! I concede that with the now popular PVA bag method that 2 1/2-2 3/4lb rods do indeed have a place regardless of water size the choice of carp gear in general has really lost its way! But then Im just an old, stuck in his ways, behind the times, fat old fart! Jeeze dont want to waste valuable drinking and spliff rolling time by playing fish do we?

I tend to agree with your comment that the choice of carp gear has lost its way. In my humble opinion it is more about designer cred than actually fishing. When I made the point about cats I remember the first time I hooked into one which was completely by accident as I was fishing for carp at the time. It was many years ago in France and it was the first time that I had ever been pointed by a fish which took me by complete surprise as I was using my AKN 12s with 15lb big game. I was even more saurprised when it weighed in at 25lb. I had previously had carp to 36 the day which fought nothing like the cat. I too am an old fat fart who loves to play the fish and to be brutally honest, if I were to be allowed just one rod it would be an avon. I have even gone back to re buying gear which I have long since relinquished which includes optonics, original biomaster 3000s & 4,000s plus a few cardinals of varios types and I love it. Yes, there are times when you need to step up such as snag fishing where you need the extra backbone but there is no substitute for playing a fish on light tackle in open water.Even better when using a pin and free lining with a worm.

Regards

TincaTinca

I have even gone back to re buying gear which I have long since relinquished

Thats interesting I have been doing the same for some time too! maybe its an age/nostalgia thing? or maybe just maybe there hasnt really been any major advances in rods or reels for many years? Not actual practical fish catching ones any ways?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thats interesting I have been doing the same for some time too! maybe its an age/nostalgia thing? or maybe just maybe there hasnt really been any major advances in rods or reels for many years? Not actual practical fish catching ones any ways?

I don't think it is an age thing although I've climbed the ladder and and am now on the way down. I think that it is more to do with learning from experiences plus the fact that in my own opinion, some gear has not really been bettered for general fishing . Like numerous others I have been through the must have syndrome on numerous occassions but I can say with all; honesty that all that glitters is not gold. There has over the years been some superb tackle created which has resulted in me owning set ups for virtually every eventuallity however whilst I dont have any regrets in what has gone before, I have now gone back to basics which mainly involves short sessions with the minimum of gear. I am no longer driven by the need for big fish or to spend endless days and nights in their pursuit. I now prefer the mobile approach which can turn up a few surprises.You can have all the tackle in the world but if the fish are not there it is no good to you. Getting back to the main theme, this is where the lighter test curve rods come into their own as when the opportunity arises, rigs can quickly be changed say from a bottom bait to a floater. Floating crust is still a very effective and exciting way of catching. Never leave home without my jar of Bovril. Having said all this, it is down to individual choice and each to their own. The key issue is that you enjoy what you do.

Regards

tincatinca