peeler crab farming?y

samuel-cox

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one year when it got really hot i had an old fridge in the garage that didnt work.

but i still stored crab in it and it still seemed to keep the temperature down or more constant and i didnt lose crab as i would have done outside it.

what i have is a big fish tank with aeration and heat but i am thinking of getting an old freezer fixing it up for use as a tank.

does anyone think this would work just to keep a more constant temperature.

in the past i have also tried to bring the water temp down by the use of ice packs but havent really delved too deeply into it.

anyways happy new year to everyone.

Guest jay_con

beer chillers are good. Try tapping you local lanlord for one, they work by passing the water through tubes inside a little refrigerator I think, they also have thier own inbuilt pump.. someone once posted an article here

on how to make a chiller. it was simply a coil of tube inside the fridge which you pass the water through using a very slow pump.

My local bait merchant uses beer coolers for his tanked rag and lug worms, he uses loft tanks as holding tanks and small loft tanks for his filtration.

I plan on setting up a old 6 ft by 1 foot tank I have in my shed. Im planing to use lights on timers and heats for tropical tanks on thermostats to imertate spring light and temperature.

As I said before some plants can be induced to bud by puting them on a 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark regine. So if I can induce crabs to peel by imertateing spring I can then store in fridge and always have peelers for bait all year round.

Guest jay_con

I will be interested to here of your results, good luck. My filter is a green genie pond filter I got it out of the index catalogue for 40 quid. It's built in uv steraliser helps keep the water in tip top condition. I suggest you also add a large amount of ground cockle or mussel shell to the filter or as a media in the tank, this im told helps keep up calcium levels in the water which crustaciens enjoy. If your serious about this take a look at websites on keeping marine tanks, all the information you will require will be there

Im not sure about the importance of light or heat though although im sure they do play a role. The reason I say this is im aware that even in some estuaries in the north of the country crabs still peel in the middle of winter. Ive used fresh crab ive collected in early january from freezing cold water and when daylight length is at it's shortest(I arent saying where from though).

You will need to use uv lamps too sam to light the tank, the type they use for growing plants in winter, the tubes can be quite expensive.

Guest jay_con

one thing you will need to watch with salt water is evaporation leading to high salinity. A lot of my crabs died overnight with no apparent reason, then my friend pointed out that my water had more salt than the dead sea. I think keeping the lid on your tank will help