Kent and Essex SFC & bag limits on anglers

Hi Paul,

I thought the man you spoke to at DEFRA said this was so far off it wasn't worth worrying about ???

Cheers - Glenn

Don't forget that this Government has a record of announcing new rules and taxes, months, sometimes years, in advance, in the hope that people will not complain until it's too late.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/pdf/fishfocus1006supp.pdf

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beg to differ, I've seen it done on bass marks and wrecks.

Even the best anglers don't know everything about the fish they chase. Because you don't catch them doesn't mean they aren't there. Water colour, bait, lure type, tide and numerous other things could effect your fishing. I am no bass expert and you know more than me Toerag, could it be the bass move away from wrecks etc at certain times ? If you are 100 percent certain that anglers are impacting on bass stocks then maybe there should be bag limits for just bass anglers ? maybe just anglers who fish bass from a boat ?? Why should a shore angler who catches a few dozen bass a year be restricted because of a localised problem. I've always felt these things should be regionalised and species specific it would save a lot of hassle if the NFSA started to work on this basis.

Just out of interest do commercial fishermen have a bass quota ? I think I've asked that before but cant remember the answer.

Don't forget that this Government has a record of announcing new rules and taxes, months, sometimes years, in advance, in the hope that people will not complain until it's too late.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/pdf/fishfocus1006supp.pdf

This is a point I keep trying to make to Paul. These things take time but just because the time scale is 2-10 years doesn't mean it wont happen - and opening your mouth in 9 years time and making a fuss will not do you any good because at that point it's to damn late. Like you say they work over a long time scale in the hope you get sick of fighting. They (DEFRA) fobbed Paul off on Wednesday afternoon saying any restrictions are a long long way off, then the next day we learn all sfc's have been asked to look at bag limits. No matter how far you stretch your imagination you can't make "a long long time" equal 24 hrs. Its laughable. I personally would be interested to know why this guy at DEFRA said this ???.

Just out of interest do commercial fishermen have a bass quota ?

Although the EU is looking at introducing a quota for bass, currently the 'fleet' can catch as much bass as it wants.

However, a 'landing limit' restricting individual boats applies to both UK and French vessels.

This was originally introduced in France to prevent the market collapsing when many boats were landing huge quantities at the same time from the Winter Pair Trawl Bass Fishery, and restricted each boat to 5 tonne per week (10 tonne per pair).

The UK followed suit a couple of years or so ago, with a 5 tonne a week limit, but also the option of opting for a 15tonne a month limit (not such a good deal as it seems, meaning that boat onto a mass of bass can fill up before returning to port and spend the rest of the month on bream etc)

However, as far as I'm aware, since it's introduction none of the UK boats had reached the landing limit, the days of the big hits in the early discovery of where the bass spawn in large numbers appear to be over.

That is the problem, there would be no conservation benefit.

It doesn't really matter from a conservation perspective whethet fish are being killed by licensed or unlicensed fishermen, so long as the market demand is there it will be filled, there being no effective cap on effort on bass.

Where bag limits have worked well overseas in developing a Recreational Sea Fishery, total effort has been capped, with the impacts of both commercial and recreational fishermen being taken into account and limited as necessary, according to the circumstances of the stock being targeted.

All that the current proposals do is guarantee a market, and good market price, for licensed fishermen, at the price of taking away the established rights of bona fide Recreational Sea Anglers, because they are finding it costly and difficult to enforce current legislation that already covers illegal sales.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

They (DEFRA) fobbed Paul off on Wednesday afternoon saying any restrictions are a long long way off, then the next day we learn all sfc's have been asked to look at bag limits. No matter how far you stretch your imagination you can't make "a long long time" equal 24 hrs. Its laughable. I personally would be interested to know why this guy at DEFRA said this ???.

er, the DEFRA letter to the ASFC went out last September.

Details of the proposals were put on the SACN website early in November.

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po...or_Anglers.html

Nothing has changed in 24 hours!

This proposal has nothing to do with the Strategy for the Development of Recreational Sea Angling, perhaps that's where the confusion comes in?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi Toerag, please enlighten us. Cheers

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Although the EU is looking at introducing a quota for bass, currently the 'fleet' can catch as much bass as it wants.

However, a 'landing limit' restricting individual boats applies to both UK and French vessels.

This was originally introduced in France to prevent the market collapsing when many boats were landing huge quantities at the same time from the Winter Pair Trawl Bass Fishery, and restricted each boat to 5 tonne per week (10 tonne per pair).

The UK followed suit a couple of years or so ago, with a 5 tonne a week limit, but also the option of opting for a 15tonne a month limit (not such a good deal as it seems, meaning that boat onto a mass of bass can fill up before returning to port and spend the rest of the month on bream etc)

However, as far as I'm aware, since it's introduction none of the UK boats had reached the landing limit, the days of the big hits in the early discovery of where the bass spawn in large numbers appear to be over.

That is the problem, there would be no conservation benefit.

It doesn't really matter from a conservation perspective whethet fish are being killed by licensed or unlicensed fishermen, so long as the market demand is there it will be filled, there being no effective cap on effort on bass.

Where bag limits have worked well overseas in developing a Recreational Sea Fishery, total effort has been capped, with the impacts of both commercial and recreational fishermen being taken into account and limited as necessary, according to the circumstances of the stock being targeted.

All that the current proposals do is guarantee a market, and good market price, for licensed fishermen, at the price of taking away the established rights of bona fide Recreational Sea Anglers, because they are finding it costly and difficult to enforce current legislation that already covers illegal sales.

What is the scientific advice saying about bass ?

Increasing ? decreasing or staying at the same level ?

Toerag

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Today, 12:22 PM Post #15

Group: Members

Member No.: 5,371

QUOTE(big_cod @ Jan 12 2007, 07:14 AM)

A MAN WITH A ROD AND LINE WILL NEVER DAMAGE ANY FISHERIE.

--------------------

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Totally agree, on a local level anglers can decimate a mark and have done lots of times.

Please provide us some detail if you say it has been done lots of times. Thanks

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..