An hour on the canal....

Tigger

I had an hour chucking lures on the local canal after tea today. It was the first time i've been spinning for quite a spell but was a nice change. First of all I had a perch that looked as if it had spawned. I moved along the canal stopping to cast in the likely looking spots. I did get a cracking take off a pike that looked like a fish of about 10 or 12lb's and it really bolted off putting a serious bend in the little greys G-lite rod, then the braid went slack ! At first I thought the the braid must have snapped somehow but when I got my trace back the ondex was gone ! I'm not sure how it had done it but the ondex had come off the clip, something i've never had happen before and was very strange. I think it must have got twisted when I cast out and turned completly round so the ondex pushed open the clip when it was under pressure from the fish, that's the only thing I can think happend as the clip was the wrong way around when I examined it. I wasn't to concerned about it being left in the pikes mouth as I think it'll either stay there until someone catches it or the fish will shake it free....still not good leaving a spinner in a fish !
I swapped the trace to one with a different clip and tried a lure, only thing I caught after that was a tiddly little pike but it was a fish....

april%2020%20perch.jpg

april%2020%20pike.jpg

• Like 3

Good stuff! How was the clarity of the water? On the Kennet and Avon I found the spinning went off in the summer with the increase of boats and therefore turbidity of the water. Not many windows when all the conditions are right. Good to hear the perch have spawned. Does anyone know about the zander?

john clarke

Good stuff! How was the clarity of the water? On the Kennet and Avon I found the spinning went off in the summer with the increase of boats and therefore turbidity of the water. Not many windows when all the conditions are right. Good to hear the perch have spawned. Does anyone know about the zander?

The water was quite murky and there was lots of flotsame that I was constantly hooking, infact I had to clean the trebles off after virtually every retreive. There's no zander round these parts FT.

Tigger,

To quote you: "so the ondex pushed open the clip when it was under pressure from the fish"...

Learn something every day. The ondex on a fishing lure is attached to the bolivar shaft. I just never knew what you called it.

Phone

Tigger,

To quote you: "so the ondex pushed open the clip when it was under pressure from the fish"...

Learn something every day. The ondex on a fishing lure is attached to the bolivar shaft. I just never knew what you called it.

Phone

This is the type of clip which was attatched to the wire trace's when I bought them....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Size-2-SNAP-LINK-CLIPS-COURSE-SEA-CARP-FISHING-/231536772862?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e8aac6fe

As I said i've no idea how it happend but the ondex was put onto this clip and some how the clip had come open and the spinner was left in the pikes mouth as it bolted off. Phone, it really p!$$ed me off I can assure you, not just loosing the spinner but leaving it in a fishes mouth. I might go back later to see if I can catch it.

I've never liked that type of clip Tigger, I've had a few open on me in the past too. These days I use this type (there are a few different sizes/strengths for different applications): http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/south-bend-lock-snap-30lb15mm-9pcs-p-638.html

Very light, very strong, and very cheap.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music