warmer waters

captain cojones

hi guys, ive recently come across a new kayak fishing page on a website run by a guy called gary smith, here in spain.

it looks really nice, and is based on an area called murcia in southern spain.

i was looking for some info for somebody in the sea fishing section when i came across it.

needless to say i have no connection with gary smith, but know of him as he writes a full page on fishing in a weekly newspaper here.

if you go down to the bottom of the page there are lots of tabs which open other pages of info,

http://www.kayakfishingspain.com/area.htm

heres the link

cheers dave.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have fished the Costa Del Sol area a few times, off a charter boat, and to be honest, its pretty poor. Mostly small stuff that comes up bent cos of the depths its hauled up from. I did e-mail Gary the other day to ask what I should expect off the Costa Calida, and it sounds pretty good , which is handy cos I'm at present having a place built in Aguilas , so look forward to giving it a go in Spain hopefully this year.

Hi again Codshead.

What I think everyone who attempts to fish the Med whether it be from shore, boat or kayak is that local knowledge is everything. I have spent 5 years learning the methods and tricks from the local masters regarding shore fishing, this has enabled me to compete at both Regional and National level with some success.

The local surfcasters are more than excited about the kayak fishing and have already organised a tournament for the 1st may this year. Tomorrow I am going out trolling for bass at one of the local "best marks" a shelf that drops to 14 metres from 3 metres 200 metres from shore.

Although this form of fishing is new down here the national magazine Tropheos Pesca is this month running a major article about kayak fishing and through my work as a journalist on the largest local papers which I write a weekly page for is also featuring this form of angling. See this weeks article at www.roundtownnews.co.uk

Gary Smith

Gary Smith

Crowle North Lincolnshire UK / Maldives / Puerto De Mazarron Murcia Spain

Gary Smith Fishing

Maldives Fishing Holidays

Fishing 7 Lakes

post-4800-1169236001_thumb.jpg if you are out in a small boat or kayak, look out for the fish farms moored a few km offshore.from july till end of december there are often dorado,(not dorada) hiding underneath them. they are caught here by trolling a red gill type eel fairly shallow, as close as you can get to the farms.

dont worry about going too fast, as you will never outpaddle one of these!

when hooked they normally become airbourne, and fight like hell.

i dont think they survive being handled (like mackrel), so once you have enough for the pot they should be unhooked in the water without touching them.

they are coloured like bars of gold, when fresh out the water, with electric blue spots on their dorsal fins, quickly fades though.

they are the best tasting fish i have ever had, bar none.

No fish in shown in his gallery either? I would have thought the Embro Delta a better bet.

i think the kayak section was set up on the 17th jan 2007, so its new. according to the paper today, the first kayaker arrive in 2 months.

The last weeks have been spent getting everything organised through the complicated Spanish legal system. Although I am a legally registered business in Spain it is required that any additions are listed in front of a judge. Also applying for permits to operate on the freshwater reservoirs has had to be done.

The Tango pictured is in operation and the Malibu X Factors arrive next week from Diver Kayaks in Portugal. The trailer is ready on Monday so then transportation of more than 1 kayak at a time is sorted.

We are out on Saturday morning with a cameraman to hopefully get some better fishing shots for the website.

As I am sure everyone on this forum, and indeed, involved with kayak fishing is aware safety and being insured and regulated is of paramount importance, it is all too easy, to just set up a business in name and start trading. This is not the case in Spain as everything to do with fishing is controlled by the Seprona, the environmental arm of the Guardia Civil, whose sense of humor regarding law or non licensing is of zero tolerance. Confiscation of equipment and huge fines are the punishment, no excuses, that is the way it is and as I live and work in their country it is only correct that things are done properly from the outset.

Gary Smith

Gary Smith Fishing

Fishing 7 Lakes

Just for information the Ebro Delta is 660 kilometres North Of Puerto De Mazarron. I take clients to the Ebro on week trips and the weather up there at this time of year is considerably colder than the Costa Calida which translates to the warm coast.

Gary Smith

Gary Smith Fishing

Fishing 7 Lakes

I have tried to email you Pescador, from your website - but had no reply. I can only assume that my usual computer literacy is at work!

I have a PM ready to send too - since your first post - you need 15 or 16 posts before i can send it. It keeps bouncing. Post a bit more, then maybe we can talk!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon

Send direct if you wish to gary@garysmithfishing.com or enquiries@kayakfishingspain.com

I will post more to get past the threshold of 15 or 16 as it is very frustrating waiting for my replies to show!

Gary

Gary Smith

Gary Smith Fishing

Fishing 7 Lakes