Survival at sea Course

jonnyboy

I often wear 2 pfd's but I am a tart with a figure like Kate Moss!you lot would all look like michelin men :thumbs::headhurt:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wear 2 pfd's but I am a tart with a figure like Kate Moss!you lot would all look like michelin men :thumbs::headhurt:

:bigemo_harabe_net-163::roll1::notworthy:

Edited by s2vto

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Hi Jonnyboy.

Good Post.

One that has had much discusion in the past.

For interests sake here are a few examples that may help peoples choices.

10 Newtons=1kg=2.2lbs of bouyancy.

50 Newtons = 11lbs of bouyancy.

100 Newtons = 23lbs of bouyancy.

150 Newtons = 33lbs of bouyancy.

275 Newtons = 62lbs of bouyancy.

The lower ratings i.e. the 50 newtons are fine for very close to shore work, providing the person is a good swimmer, and rescue would be close to hand and quick.

For offshore work the higher ratings would be far better, where a quick rescue may not be at hand.

Conditions would play a huge part too, no good having a 50 Newton P.F.D. when your a mile off shore, and the weather takes a real nasty turn for the worse, paddling for home in increasing swell and wind, in you go, tired from the hard paddling ,your now finding it difficult to get back on the Kayak, so you may need help, how long will that help take to get to you ?

Makes sense to customise your kit to your abilities to swim....your personal fitness.....distances you plan to cover out to sea, and the unexpected too.

Just my oppinion.

Bill.

Hi Bill,

I seem to recall that in one post a year ago or so, someone observed in a photo that you had a pair of flippers on board for emergency usage. I thought that this was a good piece of lateral thinking but cannot recall seeing it mentioned again; do you still carry them on outings and if so how have you got them readied? I keep thinking when Lydls have their diving week that I will pick up a pair for these purposes but have not quite figured out how to connect them in readiness for the moment when they might be needed.

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

I'm afraid i'm never one to take at face value opinions. I'm not saying there incorrect but would require a full explanation.

I have my doubts , as the PFD rating (I thought??) gives 2 times the flotation for the weight scale , so i'd have thought without knowing the weight of the wearer comments such as a 50N is useless are meaningless out of context. PFD's are not designed to turn the casualty face over so apart from adding more buoyancy how would a 150N vest be of additional help to an injured casualty ??Similarly , I fired off one of my miniflares over new year and it certainly gave a decent show. it would in my opinion be of great use guiding in a rescue for example , particularly as I have 7 left!

I agree, best thing is to test the gear then you will know for sure. Miniflares are no substitute for a full on rocket flare but when used appropriately they should be a useful item to carry - I won't be ditching mine or my 50N pfd just yet.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Similarly , I fired off one of my miniflares over new year and it certainly gave a decent show. it would in my opinion be of great use guiding in a rescue for example , particularly as I have 7 left!

Martin - I spent a few years of my US Coast Guard career flying SAR (search & rescue) on Helos. The small flares might be fine as backup or to direct rescue craft when they already have your location but they are amazingly hard to spot from ship or aircraft that does not already know where to look.

Add that to the fact that a yak is so low to the water that it is also very hard to spot and you have a very good case for stocking some of the larger day/night jobbies.

I'd be interested to hear why there would be problems with the gas operated jackets. The ones Jan & I use do a great job of turning a person face up and keeping the head out of water and are more than enough to float a large man (me) in fresh water so should do even better in the sea. The auto ones might discharge from heavy spray so a pull-cord manal style is probably better but I'd certainly expect one to do a nice job in an emergency and to be very unobtrusive otherwise.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Not wishing to be flippent I was wondering what the bouyancy rating of a Kayak was? I can see the above being workable with a Man over board (MOB) off of a large ship or rig but as kayakers we are taught never to let go of the yak a secondary bouyancy aid if you like...just a thought.

As to flares I know nothing about and thanks the commenters for their views on this.

Dave.

Target fish: Anything!

I think we need to remember that we are sea kayak (sometimes freshwater) anglers. We enjoy our hobby under relitavely cramped conditions where space to move around is at a premium. Each individuals requirements are different and as more of us come on board the likely hood of being out alone decreases. In the main we are all fishing inshore.

I am happy with my own emergency precautions. My VHF radio , on my body will alert rescuers to my problem/location , whilst my miniflares or CD disc will guide help in. You cannot view each individual item on its own , they are all inter related. The only scenario when I may be in trouble is if knocked unconcious , so i'll endeavour to keep my lone trips to the minimum and on water i'm familiar with. Like Moonyaker , I've wondered about flippers - would be useful if for some reason you were unable to self rescue perhaps??

Ok Prowler 13

The link you've put up there Specimen says the flare burns for 20 seconds at 10,000 candella (from the hand) . The miniflare lasts for 60 seconds at 150000 candela and goes up I guess 20-25m. The normal red parachute flare lasts 40 seconds at 10000 candela as well but goes up higher. Think a few would be surprised if they let off one of those little things :rolleyes:

Ok Prowler 13