NFFO slams Seafish appointments

seaside

Ohh dear, pro rata, the cost of policing rsa will take many years to overtake what is received based on 50 mill commercial 550 mill rsa per annum.

If you was to start up a new bussiness you wouldn't pump in billions based on an anuall return of 50 mill, not enough profit/turnover in my books.

I agree with the last para though, spot on.

Hi barry luxton

Its not just what the BRITISH FISHING INDUSTRY generate first hand sales it is all the other trades that support the fishing industry, boatbuilder, twinemakers,netmakers,fish merchant and fishmongers and fish and chip shops, transport and haulers, FISHING TACKLE SHOPS to name just afew.

What you anglers tell every one how much you spend has the FRESH WATER anglers spending included it which is about 75% of that figure

It is mindless of people to say mines worth more than yours(spoilt little school boy talk) when both are very important to the people invovled in the fishing industry and angling trades

Lets grow up and move on to more important matters

regards steve

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a jolly good idea, we should set up a sea fishery committee to that effect, perhaps we can meet every so often and decide what type of restriction, licences etc that we could adopt over them. :thumbs:

joke :rolleyes:

Under headline; Agency wins huge illegal fish case

"Seventeen people, including trawler skippers and owners, admitted to their part in falsifying records of catches worth an estimated £1.25million. In a prosecution brought by the marine fisheries agency, 17 out of 22 defendants who pleaded guilty to more than 90 specimin charges of landing 'blackfish' were fined a total of £147200 fines ranged from £200 to £30000.

Three others and two fishing companies who also pleaded guilty, will be sentenced later, after their assets have been investigated by the assets recovery agency on the orders of the court. Two other men pleaded not guilty to offences and will face trial later this year. Nine defebndants were also ordered to pay a contribution totalling £110500 towards prosecution costs.

Liverpool crown court heard that tonnes of cod, haddock, plaice and scampi - all types of fish for which the european commision sets strict limits - had been landed illegally from 12 vessels at whitehaven in cumbria and kilkeel, northern ireland where they were based.

The amount of fish caught was deliberately under-reportted, breaking the rules designed to ensure good quotas are strictly observed. The quota system is designed to protect fish stocks and thus the livelihood of fishermen by ensuring that they are fished comercially at sustainable levels. When inspectors compared trawlers log books and landing declarations with legitimate buyers reciepts, they found that the quabntities and values of fish had been deliberately falsified."

Salient points are to me 1. These are just the ones who got caught 2. quotas are there both for the fish stocks and for your livelyhoods 3. From 2 has the comercial sector changed tac now in that when MAFF was the agency responsible comercials just used to refute all scientific evidence now its DEFRA are they just ignoring the legislation? 4. From other posts in this thread just how much tonnage which some of you blame the anglers for removing have been spirited away in the hold?

While i am aware that there is a vast majority of honest, hard working people in the industry i am thinking that this is a prime example of greed on the part of a few which if magnified by the kind of assumptions the comercial sector have made, for example about the numbers of Bass taken by sport/ recreational fishermen (guess a number then multiply it by whatever number suits todays purpose) The figures have to be somewhat alarming to even the most blinkered!

On a smaller scale from the point of view that we have muppets in both camps, in the same publication as the above quote came the following snippet.

".... caught a coalfish which we weighed on-board on our return, alongside the quay at Dartmouth at 15lbs. Its great to see a coalfish as they are such a rarity these days. They fight from the time they are hooked, right until they have been lifted aboard. unlike Pollack, they have a much smaller swim bladder, which is unaffected as they are brought from the depths over 200 feet. It was later weighed on certified scales at Paignton SAA and recorded 14-6-8"

Although we are not talking tonnage but a single fish, if Coalfish are such a rarity then why take the bloody thing? Is it too much of a leap of the imagination to realise that this is just one less to procreate the next generation? If they are such a rarity GIVE THE DAMN THINGS A CHANCE!!!

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

What you anglers tell every one how much you spend has the FRESH WATER anglers spending included it which is about 75% of that figure

Just a cursory bit of research will show you that is absolutely untrue Steve.

Oh! and it's not what anglers say, it's what experienced researchers commissioned, by the government have said, and the various studies do tend to confirm each other.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Just a cursory bit of research will show you that is absolutely untrue Steve.

Oh! and it's not what anglers say, it's what experienced researchers commissioned, by the government have said, and the various studies do tend to confirm each other.

Probably the same researchers who worked out how much bass you all land and sell to the local take away.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Probably the same researchers who worked out how much bass you all land and sell to the local take away.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Under headline; Agency wins huge illegal fish case

"Seventeen people, including trawler skippers and owners, admitted to their part in falsifying records of catches worth an estimated £1.25million. In a prosecution brought by the marine fisheries agency, 17 out of 22 defendants who pleaded guilty to more than 90 specimin charges of landing 'blackfish' were fined a total of £147200 fines ranged from £200 to £30000.

Three others and two fishing companies who also pleaded guilty, will be sentenced later, after their assets have been investigated by the assets recovery agency on the orders of the court. Two other men pleaded not guilty to offences and will face trial later this year. Nine defebndants were also ordered to pay a contribution totalling £110500 towards prosecution costs.

Liverpool crown court heard that tonnes of cod, haddock, plaice and scampi - all types of fish for which the european commision sets strict limits - had been landed illegally from 12 vessels at whitehaven in cumbria and kilkeel, northern ireland where they were based.

The amount of fish caught was deliberately under-reportted, breaking the rules designed to ensure good quotas are strictly observed. The quota system is designed to protect fish stocks and thus the livelihood of fishermen by ensuring that they are fished comercially at sustainable levels. When inspectors compared trawlers log books and landing declarations with legitimate buyers reciepts, they found that the quabntities and values of fish had been deliberately falsified."

Salient points are to me 1. These are just the ones who got caught 2. quotas are there both for the fish stocks and for your livelyhoods 3. From 2 has the comercial sector changed tac now in that when MAFF was the agency responsible comercials just used to refute all scientific evidence now its DEFRA are they just ignoring the legislation? 4. From other posts in this thread just how much tonnage which some of you blame the anglers for removing have been spirited away in the hold?

While i am aware that there is a vast majority of honest, hard working people in the industry i am thinking that this is a prime example of greed on the part of a few which if magnified by the kind of assumptions the comercial sector have made, for example about the numbers of Bass taken by sport/ recreational fishermen (guess a number then multiply it by whatever number suits todays purpose) The figures have to be somewhat alarming to even the most blinkered!

On a smaller scale from the point of view that we have muppets in both camps, in the same publication as the above quote came the following snippet.

".... caught a coalfish which we weighed on-board on our return, alongside the quay at Dartmouth at 15lbs. Its great to see a coalfish as they are such a rarity these days. They fight from the time they are hooked, right until they have been lifted aboard. unlike Pollack, they have a much smaller swim bladder, which is unaffected as they are brought from the depths over 200 feet. It was later weighed on certified scales at Paignton SAA and recorded 14-6-8"

Although we are not talking tonnage but a single fish, if Coalfish are such a rarity then why take the bloody thing? Is it too much of a leap of the imagination to realise that this is just one less to procreate the next generation? If they are such a rarity GIVE THE DAMN THINGS A CHANCE!!!

As a dedicated rsa i don't have an opinion regarding commercial guys who flout the laws apart from if they are caught then sure they must face the consequences of thier actions.

There are only one set of figures as yet published regarding the illegal selling of bass, pan europeon 2006 study, that i am aware of. Within it the actuall figure based on the total landed by both commercial and rsa is minimal. Despite asking there are no figures from defra or any other agency. However someone might know different, i would welcome any provided. So your gestimate above is just that.

Off topic, problem with the Paignton saa as far as i'm concerned is that it is too top heavy with committee members and thier rules as apposed to guys who go out and catch fish. Remember the conger eel fiasco two years ago, when a very good fishermen, a well known fishing reporter and also a very good friend of mine who runs the only wrecking boat in paignton were compelled to change over to brixham saa.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi barry luxton

Its not just what the BRITISH FISHING INDUSTRY generate first hand sales it is all the other trades that support the fishing industry, boatbuilder, twinemakers,netmakers,fish merchant and fishmongers and fish and chip shops, transport and haulers, FISHING TACKLE SHOPS to name just afew.

It is mindless of people to say mines worth more than yours(spoilt little school boy talk) when both are very important to the people invovled in the fishing industry and angling trades

Lets grow up and move on to more important matters

regards steve

Hi Steve, i totally agree with you about growing up, it works both ways when figures are being banded around, i've just read your post 66 again. Mine was used to answer a question challenge posed. Are you sure, 75% is fresh water?

You start off the move to important matters and i will only but try to accommodate. Cheers.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

As a dedicated rsa i don't have an opinion regarding commercial guys who flout the laws apart from if they are caught then sure they must face the consequences of thier actions.

There are only one set of figures as yet published regarding the illegal selling of bass, pan europeon 2006 study, that i am aware of. Within it the actuall figure based on the total landed by both commercial and rsa is minimal. Despite asking there are no figures from defra or any other agency. However someone might know different, i would welcome any provided. So your gestimate above is just that.

Off topic, problem with the Paignton saa as far as i'm concerned is that it is too top heavy with committee members and thier rules as apposed to guys who go out and catch fish. Remember the conger eel fiasco two years ago, when a very good fishermen, a well known fishing reporter and also a very good friend of mine who runs the only wrecking boat in paignton were compelled to change over to brixham saa.

I have no knowledge whatsoever about Paignton SAA outside of quoting their involvement here, as far as i am aware that extended to supplying scales.

The figures quoted are all from a current case reported in the press. guestimate Barry? all figures quoted were literally that.

As far as the trade in Bass is concerned i do not have substantiated figures or i would have quoted them, however the only information i have been able to find appears to be rumour, and ill-educated guesses as usual, like i said think of a number then multiply by whatever suits this week.

I have no knowledge whatsoever about Paignton SAA outside of quoting their involvement here, as far as i am aware that extended to supplying scales.

The figures quoted are all from a current case reported in the press. guestimate Barry? all figures quoted were literally that.

As far as the trade in Bass is concerned i do not have substantiated figures or i would have quoted them, however the only information i have been able to find appears to be rumour, and ill-educated guesses as usual, like i said think of a number then multiply by whatever suits this week.

Sorry, i did not make my self clear, i was refering to your gestimate regarding the bass, again the only figures i have seen are within my last post, any other is pure conjecture, unless i'm told otherwise. I have also read the press reports regarding the latest cases. Cheers.