NFFO slams Seafish appointments

seaside

Hi Wurzel

When was the last time you caught a common skate or spurdog?

Hello Ian

There was a several spur dogs on Lowestoft market this week. Most years I get a few in the sole nets inshore, which should mean there are a lot more further off, down maybe but defiantly not out.

I have only ever caught one common skate, no doubt if I fish around Scotland I would catch several more, judging by the angling reports on here they are not that hard to come by.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only ever caught one common skate, no doubt if I fish around Scotland I would catch several more, judging by the angling reports on here they are not that hard to come by.

Hello Peter

There are only 6 left actually. They just get caught a lot. :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Sorry, couldn't resist it. Peace brothers. :giveup:

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Ian

There was a several spur dogs on Lowestoft market this week. Most years I get a few in the sole nets inshore, which should mean there are a lot more further off, down maybe but defiantly not out.

Hi Wurzel

The point I was trying to make, is that Common skate used to be found all round the coast of Britain. Hence the name. You can't bkindly state that no species has suffered because of overfishing.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Wurzel

The point I was trying to make, is that Common skate used to be found all round the coast of Britain. Hence the name. You can't bkindly state that no species has suffered because of overfishing.

Hello Ian

Skate has not suffered because of over fishing, It might have suffered due to fishing. Common Skate have never been caught all around Britain in large numbers, there has never to my knowledge been a direct fishery on common skate, so unless all fishing methods that have the remote chance of catching a common skate are totally banned not much will change.

Do commercial fishermen who catch common skate land the large barn door ones? I have never seen one on the markets in this area. I see in the FN Skate £1.60 per Kg at Scrabster, is that common skate or thornback ray? Does it include Skate of over 100 lb?

I say again Ian, those anglers who target common skate don't seem to have much trouble catching them, so has the over fishing not effected those areas?

AS you can see I know dam all about common skate.

And yes Ian I do have difficulty thinking of a species that has suffered directly to so called over fishing.

Hello Ian

And yes Ian I do have difficulty thinking of a species that has suffered directly to so called over fishing.

Hi Wurzel

I give in.

You will never agree that commercial fishing has depleted any stocks and I will never agree they haven't; so it's easier to agree to disagree

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Guest challenge

What do people mean by common skate? Do you mean Dipturs Batis? Anything in the Rajidge family and there are 200 odd spices.

Regards

Hello Ian

Skate has not suffered because of over fishing, It might have suffered due to fishing. Common Skate have never been caught all around Britain in large numbers, there has never to my knowledge been a direct fishery on common skate, so unless all fishing methods that have the remote chance of catching a common skate are totally banned not much will change.

Do commercial fishermen who catch common skate land the large barn door ones? I have never seen one on the markets in this area. I see in the FN Skate £1.60 per Kg at Scrabster, is that common skate or thornback ray? Does it include Skate of over 100 lb?

I say again Ian, those anglers who target common skate don't seem to have much trouble catching them, so has the over fishing not effected those areas?

AS you can see I know dam all about common skate.

Hi Peter,

QUOTE/ And yes Ian I do have difficulty thinking of a species that has suffered directly to so called over fishing.

I know of one, the commen stickleback the kids have fished them out on our local cockle pond with their little nets :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

regards steve

What do people mean by common skate? Do you mean Dipturs Batis? Anything in the Rajidge family and there are 200 odd spices.

Regards

The common skate I was referring to is the Raja batis

Tje early distribution maps shows it was abundant all over European waters

from http://www.ukbap.org.uk/UKPlans.aspx?ID=543

The common skate is widely distributed, but very scarce, throughout European waters. It has probably been fished to extinction in the Irish Sea and is extremely rare in the central and southern North Sea, the western Baltic and western Mediterranean.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Wurzel

I give in.

You will never agree that commercial fishing has depleted any stocks and I will never agree they haven't; so it's easier to agree to disagree

Ian don't give in so easily.

If you read what I said, I more or less agreed that commercial fishing has depleted the common skate.

It's that phase "over fishing" I don't so much agree with. The point I am trying to make is that, are you prepared to tie up all boats in the country that might catch a common skate, to try and get the skate back to the level of yesteryear?

Before you agree to disagree you could have educated me on the common skate fishery, I did say I new very little about it.

So is there a sale for big barn door skate?

Ian don't give in so easily.

If you read what I said, I more or less agreed that commercial fishing has depleted the common skate.

It's that phase "over fishing" I don't so much agree with. The point I am trying to make is that, are you prepared to tie up all boats in the country that might catch a common skate, to try and get the skate back to the level of yesteryear?

Before you agree to disagree you could have educated me on the common skate fishery, I did say I new very little about it.

So is there a sale for big barn door skate?

Hi Wurzel

No I wouldn't want all boats tied up, but the breeding females could be returned.

Regards a market for them. This Guy has been selling them for a while

http://www.dogfish.uk.com/skate.html

post-4955-1170961014_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk