NFFO slams Seafish appointments

seaside

Are you shure Ian? must be a lot of crap anglers on your side of the country then.

Hi Wurzel

There just aren't that many Bass in SW Scotland. Those that know what they are doing will catch on a regular basis but will still have blanks. Last year the numbers were down on the previous year but a lot of larger fish were caught.

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For species like the Bass there is probably only 1 in 5 anglers that actually catch one, so any guestimate of figures is impossible

This post has been edited by Ian Burrett: Today, 04:25 PM

Are you shure Ian? must be a lot of crap anglers on your side of the country then.

Hi Peter

According to the Net Benifets Report 400,000 anglers target bass and cod as their main fishery.

regards steve

Which means a million anglers don't

Hi Ian Burrett

which means that if 400,000 sport anglers catch 10 kilo of cod and 10 kilo of bass per year then 4000 tons of cod and 4000 tons of bass are removed from the sea every year by sport anglers

10 kilo of cod = 1 or 2 fish and 10 kilo of bass = 5 or 6 fish per year

This fish goes unrecorded and takes its toll in depleting fish stocks no wonder anglers complain that they cannot catch much on the inshore grounds sport anglers have caught them all

If sport anglers want to conserve fish stocks there should not be a bag limit, it should be catch and release by law, and a licence fee to pay for the policeing of it

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

regards steve

For species like the Bass there is probably only 1 in 5 anglers that actually catch one, so any guestimate of figures is impossible

This post has been edited by Ian Burrett: Today, 04:25 PM

From the shore I would say down here almost anyone could catch them, HOWEVER 99.9% go back as under size :rolleyes:

Whilst I might hit a shoal of bigger fish three or four times a year the tiddlers come in thick and fast. :clap2:

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Hi Ian Burrett

which means that if 400,000 sport anglers catch 10 kilo of cod and 10 kilo of bass per year then 4000 tons of cod and 4000 tons of bass are removed from the sea every year by sport anglers

They don't though Steve. Where did you get those figures from? Did you make them up or guess?

It would be nice if the fish we caught were that size. How much does a 34cm bass weigh Steve? Or a 6 inch codling? If we could catch fish of the calibre that you're talking about, do you think we'd be wasting our time campaigning for more bigger fish? If you commercials want sea anglers to go away and leave you alone, agree to increased MLS for all species. We'd all benefit and everyone would be happy. But going by the fuss you lot made over a 4cm increase in bass MLS it'll never happen, so we'll be around for a while yet.

This fish goes unrecorded and takes its toll in depleting fish stocks no wonder anglers complain that they cannot catch much on the inshore grounds sport anglers have caught them all

I see you haven't lost your sense of humour Steve, fair play to you.

If sport anglers want to conserve fish stocks there should not be a bag limit, it should be catch and release by law, and a licence fee to pay for the policeing of it

I'd go for that if there was a complete ban on all commercial fishing for fin fish within 12 miles. You lot could concentrate on shellfish and there would be no conflict of interests. Mmmm..........Good idea Steve, I'll tell the NFSA.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

NFFO are getting in a bit of a tizz over the criteria that will be used to select two new appointees to the Seafish Board which they say have been deliberately set to leave the mainstream English, Welsh and Northern Irish catching sectors without a voice.

They have bitterly condemned the criteria which specifically require “knowledge, understanding and expertise in the catching sector and its impact in Scotland.”

They suggest “The intention is to strengthen the already strong Scottish voice on the Seafish Board, whilst leaving the mainstream catching sector south of the border without a voice. It is an affront to natural justice and any sense of fairness or balance”, said NFFO Chief Executive Barrie Deas.

IMHO - Not quite as big an affront to natural justice, fairness or balance as the lack of meaningful inclusion of RSA bodies, especially in Scotland, in matters which impact their sport.

BTW - If they are searching for candidates with a knowledge of the impact of the catching sector, I suggest they just wander along the coastline - there'll be plenty of anglers there with that knowledge.

Unless things have changed a lot, then Seafish is funded the commercials by a levy on the value of fish landed. Given that the Scottish fishing industry IS the majority of the UK's fishing industry and they are paying for this body then it seems a good thing they want people that have a clue about whats going on in Scotland?

Hard to see what its got to do with RSA ?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi Ian Burrett

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

regards steve

I will quite happily pay the same price for a license as the commercial fishermen paid for their license, when they were issued around 1990 Oh! I forget they were free

I also expect £16000 a year paid into my bank account because that's what it costs the taxpayer per year to keep each individual commercial fisherman going.

I also expect the law to be changed so I can go on the dole in winter as the local commercial fishermen do.

I also expect a rebate on the cost of the courses that i need to keep my current chartering license. Unlike commercial fishermen we have to pay for ours.

A grant would be nice also to increase my horsepower

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

I will quite happily pay the same price for a license as the commercial fishermen paid for their license, when they were issued around 1990 Oh! I forget they were free

I also expect £16000 a year paid into my bank account because that's what it costs the taxpayer per year to keep each individual commercial fisherman going.

I also expect the law to be changed so I can go on the dole in winter as the local commercial fishermen do.

I also expect a rebate on the cost of the courses that i need to keep my current chartering license. Unlike commercial fishermen we have to pay for ours.

That demonstrates perfectly just how un-even the playing field is Ian.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest challenge

You just make it up as you go along.

No wonder commercial representatives won’t take you serious.

That’s about as accurate as your assumption of me being a failed commercial fisherman.