Marker float setup

Ive dabbled in using a market float before but never really used one on an extended basis before (past trips to wingham so maybe only 4 or 5 times)

Most of my fishing used to be on Canals and small ponds when I lived down south so never had call to use one.

I have moved to less than 5 mins drive from Pennington flash so I want to give it a proper go this year. I have heard it can be tough going but with the new shifts at work I should be some time to give it a proper go.

Im rambling !

Back to the question looking for some pointers to using a marker setup.

Ive already found out that the mono shockleader is very important which I never realised before not for the shock of the cast but to stop the braid tangling on the cast and locking up the float !

I was planning to have a walk round the flash today with marker setup just to check the depths and maybe stubble across some features. I think I got about 10 casts but then every cast the braid wrapped around something at the business end so I had no way of telling what the depth was.

So today as a bit of a failure but I did make it to the tackle shop to get myself some 40lb mono

Setup:

2.5lb tc carp rod - feel something a bit more beefy needed ?

40lb braid - stolen from my redundant seafishing reel - lighter newer braid needed?

Using off the shelf lead and marker float

Any tips would be gratefully received

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?