Monkfish taken off menu at Asda

Elton

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6318925.stm

Supermarket chain Asda is to stop selling monkfish amid concerns over depleting stocks and the way it was being fished.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Asda has put up a reasonable argument with regards to the state of the monkfish stock. So instead of the catching sector protesting and saying that the stock is healthy and it could impact on the fleet, does not do any damage etc, they will have to prove it. It's no longer any good just saying it. :thumbs:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge

So are ASDA going to ban all fish (or types of fish) caught in a beam trawl?

That’s just about every fish available on the British market.

Because they don’t like the way a certain fishery operates, they are going to dictate what fish they will sell regardless of how it was caught?

Because the TAC on monkfish has been raised does this not state that scientific research shows that this fishery is more than sustainable? Or do ASDA not believe what the scientists are saying? If that is the case then why sell any fish?

It will get the store some well needed free advertising and keep the greens off there backs for a while.

Who is going to tell them when the fishery for these fish is ok for them to sell them (monkfish) again?

So are ASDA going to ban all fish (or types of fish) caught in a beam trawl?

That’s just about every fish available on the British market.

Because they don’t like the way a certain fishery operates, they are going to dictate what fish they will sell regardless of how it was caught?

Because the TAC on monkfish has been raised does this not state that scientific research shows that this fishery is more than sustainable? Or do ASDA not believe what the scientists are saying? If that is the case then why sell any fish?

It will get the store some well needed free advertising and keep the greens off there backs for a while.

Who is going to tell them when the fishery for these fish is ok for them to sell them (monkfish) again?

No they stated that at this time it is monkfish. Although they are 'just' the retailer, i don't for one minute believe that they have stated this just for the fun of it. It's not just coming from the rsa this time, so the commercial sector will have to sit up and take notice and deal with it. As within my last post it will need more than it will be allright, trust me. It won't just be asda in future.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge
No they stated that at this time it is monkfish. Although they are 'just' the retailer, i don't for one minute believe that they have stated this just for the fun of it. It's not just coming from the rsa this time, so the commercial sector will have to sit up and take notice and deal with it. As within my last post it will need more than it will be allright, trust me. It won't just be asda in future.

Am sorry, I thought that there spokesman stated that one of the reasons was to do with the way they where caught and mentioned beam trawling?

So why have they picked just monkfish then? Surely they are more endangered spices (cod for example) that they could have chosen. I mean the scientists say they should be a zero catch of them?

O I forgot, monkfish are very popular at the moment with celebrity chefs, so therefore maximum coverage for ASDA. :clap2:

Am sorry, I thought that there spokesman stated that one of the reasons was to do with the way they where caught and mentioned beam trawling?

So why have they picked just monkfish then? Surely they are more endangered spices (cod for example) that they could have chosen. I mean the scientists say they should be a zero catch of them?

O I forgot, monkfish are very popular at the moment with celebrity chefs, so therefore maximum coverage for ASDA. :clap2:

Its called sustainable. If thier product in thier eyes comes from sustainable resource then they will stock it. So i suppose they import thier cod from norway as apparently they walk on it over there? If you went into your timber stockist and they said they only source material from sustaiable source like the amazon rain forest would you buy it. You are correct, they do have a problem with beam trawling. You are correct again, the scientists have recommended a zero catch for the north sea. your missing the point challenge, this time it's not just the rsa saying it. So what if it is good advertising for asda, people will have to deal with it or don't bother with the sale, what would you do?

Edited by barry luxton

I think Asda has put up a reasonable argument with regards to the state of the monkfish stock. So instead of the catching sector protesting and saying that the stock is healthy and it could impact on the fleet, does not do any damage etc, they will have to prove it. It's no longer any good just saying it. :thumbs:

Hello Barry

Would ICES adive do?

More dickheads who know nothing of what they are talking about trying to run, or should I say ruin the fishing industry, as if there isn't enough already.

Anglers should not smirk to much, these eco warriors won't go away, it will be your turn soon enough.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Barry

Would ICES adive do?

More dickheads who know nothing of what they are talking about trying to run, or should I say ruin the fishing industry, as if there isn't enough already.

Anglers should not smirk to much, these eco warriors won't go away, it will be your turn soon enough.

I don't dissagree Wurzel, thats why i'm going to the next meeting. I don't want the bass eco'ed. Although i'm so useless with a rod and line i have only managed to catch eight bass max in one session, so i suppose i won't mind letting some go. No one takes advise from the scientists apparently so they just rely on defra and the commercial reps to set the limits.