A Nice Catch of Mullet

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Feb 2 2007, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:angry: And I should imagine that they'd be sold as fertiliser or depress the market for mullet. That's Corwall's anglers mullet gone for a few years then, no point in anglers going there to fish for mullet for a few years, say 10. :angry:

I doubt it! Portlanders have been having several catches a winter like that for decades and there's still more Mullet in Weymouth Harbour than I can ever remember from my school days.

Have a look in Southal market for the value of them.

Some anglers have about as much idea of fish stocks as the kids in London who think milk is made in the local factory.

Fish are for eating!

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Feb 2 2007, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:angry: And I should imagine that they'd be sold as fertiliser or depress the market for mullet. That's Corwall's anglers mullet gone for a few years then, no point in anglers going there to fish for mullet for a few years, say 10. :angry:

I doubt it! Portlanders have been having several catches a winter like that for decades and there's still more Mullet in Weymouth Harbour than I can ever remember from my school days.

Fish are for eating!

Why do you think the mullet are still in the harbour, thats right because they can't be netted. It's called a safe haven.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Why do you think the mullet are still in the harbour, thats right because they can't be netted. It's called a safe haven.

They are in Weymouth harbour (and the Fleet) in the summer. They were there, by the ton, last summer, as many as in the Cornwall picture. They collect together off Portland in the winter and that's when the big catches are made.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Guest challenge

What do you see in this picture?

A good haul of fish for local fishermen? Or do you see a load of fish that anglers won’t be able to catch now?

Or do you see both of the above?

the local fishermen will see it as a rare (that’s if we believe the reporting) good catch, that has been caught legally under the direction of DEFRA regulations that have been drawn up within scientific research to say that the catch is, sustainable, acceptable to the powers that be and a one off catch that will have been commercially acceptable to the fishermen that caught them.

Commercial fishermen (unlike anglers) don’t just catch fish for the sake of catching them; they target and attempt to catch fish to make a commercial gain.

There’s no doubt that this picture will be alarming to some people. Just the same as the boxes of fillets (caught by anglers) on the chieftain where to others. It’s not so much the content of the photograph but what the person preserves from its image.

Regards.

What do you see in this picture?

A good haul of fish for local fishermen? Or do you see a load of fish that anglers won’t be able to catch now?

Or do you see both of the above?

the local fishermen will see it as a rare (that’s if we believe the reporting) good catch, that has been caught legally under the direction of DEFRA regulations that have been drawn up within scientific research to say that the catch is, sustainable, acceptable to the powers that be and a one off catch that will have been commercially acceptable to the fishermen that caught them.

Commercial fishermen (unlike anglers) don’t just catch fish for the sake of catching them; they target and attempt to catch fish to make a commercial gain.

There’s no doubt that this picture will be alarming to some people. Just the same as the boxes of fillets (caught by anglers) on the chieftain where to others. It’s not so much the content of the photograph but what the person preserves from its image.

Regards.

You're right Challenge, you've just said what I said in my last post. To a commercial fisherman it's just another shoal of fish gone and another pay day. To the angler it's another fishing mark ruined by nets and a further decline in the quality of sport available to them. That's why there will never be any kind of alliance between commercial and recreational fishermen. The two's views are at complete odds with each other.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

You're right Challenge, you've just said what I said in my last post. To a commercial fisherman it's just another shoal of fish gone and another pay day. To the angler it's another fishing mark ruined by nets and a further decline in the quality of sport available to them. That's why there will never be any kind of alliance between commercial and recreational fishermen. The two's views are at complete odds with each other.

I think the golden mile could solve all the argument in this instance. :thumbs:

Worth considering for peice and quiet.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hello Steve

you are wrong on several accounts.

Yes it is a pay day, a pay day for the whole village, as the fish were caught in a beach ring or purse net kept ready for such an event, as I said they have done it many times before over the years, the net is kept ready, when conditions are right a look out is posted on the cliff top watching for the shoals coming into the bay, once spotted the whole village turns out to work the net, the catch is then shared out.

There is no fishing mark being ruined by nets, I very much doubt that the local (small minority) mullet anglers will notice any difference in their sport at all. I doubt they were even aware that the mullet were there.

With the weather as it has been I suspect several shoals have passed through with out being spotted, as I said that catch is a tiny fraction of the over all stock, as it is a bit bigger than average catch could it mean the stock is healthier than it was perhaps? Anglers would never think like that.

So you are right about anglers and commercial fisher men and an alliance.

Bloody wallies.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I very much doubt that the local (small minority) mullet anglers will notice any difference in their sport at all.

I had this in an email yesterday:

I used to visit the Fowey area two or three times each year but the average size of mullet caught has gone down and down, few over 2lbs now - I wonder why??!! Just not worth travelling when there's good chance of 4lb and 5lb fish at home, howver pleasant the scenery.

Remember it takes some 10 years for a mullet in UK waters to reach spawning age at just 3lbs.

7, 8lb mullet can easily be 20 years old or more, and seem to be 'loyal' to certain areas, hanging around and returning each year, when not off on spawning migrations or seeking deeper water in winter.

A 'local' population comprised of many specimen sized fish will not be replaced for decades.

It's likely that this catch consisted of fish back on their way home after spawning, leaving some inlets and creeks, harbours poorer for the lack of good specimen fish to attract and delight the anglers who target the species.

And what for?

35p a kilo?

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hello Steve

you are wrong on several accounts.

Yes it is a pay day, a pay day for the whole village, as the fish were caught in a beach ring or purse net kept ready for such an event, as I said they have done it many times before over the years, the net is kept ready, when conditions are right a look out is posted on the cliff top watching for the shoals coming into the bay, once spotted the whole village turns out to work the net, the catch is then shared out.

There is no fishing mark being ruined by nets, I very much doubt that the local (small minority) mullet anglers will notice any difference in their sport at all. I doubt they were even aware that the mullet were there.

With the weather as it has been I suspect several shoals have passed through with out being spotted, as I said that catch is a tiny fraction of the over all stock, as it is a bit bigger than average catch could it mean the stock is healthier than it was perhaps? Anglers would never think like that.

So you are right about anglers and commercial fisher men and an alliance.

Bloody wallies.

Hello Peter

Take your working head off for a moment ask yourself, how you would feel if that photo was of Chub netted out of the Stour? Or Tench netted out of Snake pit? Or Barbel out of the Severn? Be honest now, you wouldn't be impressed would you? Would you still bother to fish for those freshwater species if they were netted regularly and only the tiddlers left? I know that those Mullet are only a tiny fraction of the stock, and I know that much worse goes on out of sight of cameras, but to an angler that picture is sickening. It sickens me to think that those fish took over 20 years to reach that size and provided good sport for many anglers during that time, and now they've gone just so a few people could earn what must amount to a couple of quid each. To be honest mate, when I see things like that I don't think it's anglers who are the wallies.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

They are in Weymouth harbour (and the Fleet) in the summer. They were there, by the ton, last summer, as many as in the Cornwall picture. They collect together off Portland in the winter and that's when the big catches are made.

Hi Jim,

Obviously i have seen them in the harbour during the summer but i have not taken any notice during the winter. The question i ask is do they move from the harbour during the winter? If they do then i would say that there is a good turn around with the smaller ones replacing those that are taken. Or are the habour ones resident? Did you see the famous dolphin when that was in the harbour, was it there for the mullet? Sorry for the amount of questions, cheers.