A Nice Catch of Mullet

Hi Jim,

Obviously i have seen them in the harbour during the summer but i have not taken any notice during the winter. The question i ask is do they move from the harbour during the winter? If they do then i would say that there is a good turn around with the smaller ones replacing those that are taken. Or are the habour ones resident? Did you see the famous dolphin when that was in the harbour, was it there for the mullet? Sorry for the amount of questions, cheers.

Don't really notice them in the harbour in Winter, not that I look. This mild winter may have kept them there.

There have always been big catches off Portland during winter when they 'rudd' up(collect together).

The nets might only be used half-a-dozen times a year.

The spotters usually got a share of the catch and would be out every suitable night with torches on the cliff-tops, looking for 'a million candles shining in the water'!

I don't know of total catches, it's always been surrounded in secrecy, but there has been a lot of bad blood over the years connected with 'Mullet Wars'. One of the cranes was smashed up over mullet!

I would suspect that around 5 tons of mullet a winter would be a low estimate, and there's still plenty around.

The Fleet would have probably yielded several tons per summer, and there's still plenty around.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask a dairy farmer how much he gets for his milk and then tell him not to bother!

Compared with the daiy industry as it used to be, most dont! The bloke whos farm i used to work on could swear for about 20 minutes without repeating himself when he was talking about the back being ripped out of the industry causing him to pull out and concentrate on beef and lamb.

Edited by roryh

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

[quote name='Leon Roskilly' date='Feb 3 2007, 04:11 PM' post='719380

And what for?

35p a kilo?

Hello Leon, (mullet hugger)

More like 80p, X 1000 kg = £800 for a couple of hours work, you don't even have to gut them.

Hello Steve

But they don't net the freshwaters commercially, although they net or trap pike from Grantham and Haningfield reservoirs every winter, they don't seem to be able to wipe them out, several box's turn up at the fish merchants every once in a while, have done for years. :P

I know where we fished for mullet at Ipswich has been netted on several occasions, still some good fish to be had there.

I have no doubt if I tried my old haunts at Totness, Brixham and Torquay harbours I would still find mullet.

The net increase to 100 mm for bass nets will also give mullet a boost on the local summer fisheries, I have never heard or read any reports of mullet being endangered.

Any body keeping score here?

I do have an anglers mind but at the same time I have a commercials perspective, which like JB and Challenge allows me to see further than my nose or the photo. :boxing:

I fish to live and live to fish.

More like 80p, X 1000 kg = £800 for a couple of hours work, you don't even have to gut them.

Hi Wurzel,

I heard that one of the Essex lads had three catches of mullet late last year, when he took the last catch to the buyer, he was offered just 35p a kilo! (He, and some others were thinking of taking their catches elsewhere in future).

I also had this information earlier in the year:

I've just had a report that 3.5 tonnes of Golden Greys have been taken by seine net from Newquay beach; part of a huge shoal.

The fishermen then complained that it had hardly been worth catching them as they were only fetching 30p per kilo

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

And what for?

35p a kilo?

Hello Leon, (mullet hugger)

Hello Steve

But they don't net the freshwaters commercially, although they net or trap pike from Grantham and Haningfield reservoirs every winter, they don't seem to be able to wipe them out, several box's turn up at the fish merchants every once in a while, have done for years. :P

I know where we fished for mullet at Ipswich has been netted on several occasions, still some good fish to be had there.

I have no doubt if I tried my old haunts at Totness, Brixham and Torquay harbours I would still find mullet.

The net increase to 100 mm for bass nets will also give mullet a boost on the local summer fisheries, I have never heard or read any reports of mullet being endangered.

I do have an anglers mind but at the same time I have a commercials perspective, which like JB and Challenge allows me to see further than my nose or the photo. :boxing:

Torquay harbour has some very nice mullet in season wurzell you are right, although the grockles keep feeding em half digested kebab rather than bread bagging!

I have never heard or read any reports of mullet being endangered.

Very little research has been done on mullet so far, because they are not a species considered as important to the UK catching sector.

That might change soon as the government is picking up on the value of the species to the Recreational Sea Angling sector.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hello Steve

Hello Peter

Just as well they don't net freshwater commercially!, and I'm not surprised they can't wipe the Pike out at Grantham and Hanningfield if they only net it once a year.

Funny enough I was going to mention the mullet at Ipswich. Last year there were hardly any compared to the previous year, and the ones that were there looked well scabby and underweight. You probably would still find mullet at your old haunts, but I bet they would be smaller than those you used to catch. I know you'll disagree, but I'm sure there used to be quite a few big mullet in Shotley, I remember commenting to Cliff how big some of them were. We know that's been netted plenty of times, and funny enough the big mullet have disappeared too! There is still the odd big one in there, so he hasn't caught them all, just most of them.

I know what a keen angler you are, probably keener than anyone I know, but because you fish for a living you will always see things slightly different to angler who doesn't fish for a living. The netting of the rivers and lakes scenario was just intended to give you an idea of how sea anglers view things, like what we see in that photo. As you say, they don't net chub, tench and barbel, but if they did, how would you feel? What would you think if you turned up at snake one day and saw someone loading up their truck with big tench, then whenever you fished there you just caught little ones under a pound? Would you carry on angling for them? Then what if you found another good tench water, but then that got netted out too leaving just little fish for you to fish for? I know it's all hypothetical, but I'm just trying to make comparisons that might help you understand how sea anglers feel about inshore netting.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Peter

Just as well they don't net freshwater commercially!, and I'm not surprised they can't wipe the Pike out at Grantham and Hanningfield if they only net it once a year.

Funny enough I was going to mention the mullet at Ipswich. Last year there were hardly any compared to the previous year, and the ones that were there looked well scabby and underweight. You probably would still find mullet at your old haunts, but I bet they would be smaller than those you used to catch. I know you'll disagree, but I'm sure there used to be quite a few big mullet in Shotley, I remember commenting to Cliff how big some of them were. We know that's been netted plenty of times, and funny enough the big mullet have disappeared too! There is still the odd big one in there, so he hasn't caught them all, just most of them.

I know what a keen angler you are, probably keener than anyone I know, but because you fish for a living you will always see things slightly different to angler who doesn't fish for a living. The netting of the rivers and lakes scenario was just intended to give you an idea of how sea anglers view things, like what we see in that photo. As you say, they don't net chub, tench and barbel, but if they did, how would you feel? What would you think if you turned up at snake one day and saw someone loading up their truck with big tench, then whenever you fished there you just caught little ones under a pound? Would you carry on angling for them? Then what if you found another good tench water, but then that got netted out too leaving just little fish for you to fish for? I know it's all hypothetical, but I'm just trying to make comparisons that might help you understand how sea anglers feel about inshore netting.

Maybe a better perspective is when a good trout water has been totally netted out by the Peduncles or poachers, same principle?

Maybe a better perspective is when a good trout water has been totally netted out by the Peduncles or poachers, same principle?

not allowed to use the 'p' word here, It's Racist. :headhurt:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..