Camping spots between Kimmeridge Bay & Chapmans Pool, Dorset

SpeciMan

Hoping to fish the Chapmans Pool area, Dorset in a few months time. Was wondering if there are any camping spots along the way between Kimmeridge Bay and Chapmans Pool. Don't expect to be told about peoples spots but interested to know if its worth me trying to find one along the shoreline near Kimmeridge Ledges or should I just head up to Chapmans Pool. I don't know the area and look forward to exploring it. Will be taking a 2 men tent whose guylines could be secured using rocks and cleats on the kayak.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hoping to fish the Chapmans Pool area, Dorset in a few months time. Was wondering if there are any camping spots along the way between Kimmeridge Bay and Chapmans Pool. Don't expect to be told about peoples spots but interested to know if its worth me trying to find one along the shoreline near Kimmeridge Ledges or should I just head up to Chapmans Pool. I don't know the area and look forward to exploring it. Will be taking a 2 men tent whose guylines could be secured using rocks and cleats on the kayak.

Been looking at that area for a trip in the summer to gauge landing spots along the way. I'm sure you've already seen them but there is Clavell's Hard about a third of the way, and Freshwater Steps which is about 1km from Chapman's Pool, might be worth investigating on a decent OS map. Google earth view is reasonable too, don't like the look of all those Slate shorelines!

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Thanks for that. Have an OS map of the area will take a look. The kayak must an advantage inshore along there what with the ledges and rocks just below the surface.

Would have thought the slightest swell will throw-up a surf, looks like theres a few gaps in the Slate pavement along the way though.

Edited by overrun

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

As there's no overnight parking allowed at Kimmeridge, where are you going to leave your car? :(

Was planning on either missus dropping me off down there or checking with attendant first and leaving my car locked in overnight with mobile number on dash.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Was planning on either missus dropping me off down there or checking with attendant first and leaving my car locked in overnight with mobile number on dash.

Well, if you can swing it with the warden, I might be up for it, if you fancy some company. I know Darnsarf's partial to overnighters as well. I would have thought Chapmans Pool would be the likliest spot to camp. I have landed on a beach round the corner from it (towards K'ge), but can't be sure if it's always there regardless of the tide. Reckon a bivvy bag would be better than a tent.

I like the idea of an overnighter :rolleyes:

what preperation is needed before I decide to do it in the summer > other than weather etc?

Was thinking of camping around stackpole area

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Thanks for all the tips.

Paintfly, will try to avoid using a bivi unless I have to although it could be the case thats its difficult to find a pitch of the right size along that section of coastline. Thinking of camping for a few nights and would like the extra space a tent provides - can also cook in the porch if the weather turns bad.

s2vto, summertime will mean you don't need to take winter (often meaning heavier) gear with you although we're not backpacking and can usually carry more weight on the kayak. Store everything in dry bags - if you have a few dry bags instead of one you will be able to distribute the weight better. May be different on your kayak but I've found on the Scupper its harder to paddle when I have something heavy near the bow. I think the general rule is to keep the heavier stuff (eg water) towards the center of the kayak.

Have a dry run at home loading up the kayak to make sure you have space for things. Compared to backpacking I don't think there is much difference in preparations to be honest - few extra things to consider: choose your pitch out of the intertidal zone, if you take a dump do it within the intertidal zone if you can and make sure you have enough water with you. If you can't find room for a trolley then you may be more restricted as to where you can pitch. Bear in mind that your pitch probably won't be on grass so take some pegs more suited to sand and shingle and also some plastic bags you can fill and tie guylines to.

I found this to be a good read

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow