Best Mono or Flouro ?

kestrel

Rob - the Big Game line is certainly reliable and if it fits your needs, is hard to beat.

If you ever do have a need for a sinking, low stretch line or hooklength, you might want to order a spool of the Basspro XPS Fluorocarbon Line and see if it works better than the ones you've tried in the past.

I'm mostly familiar with it for lure fishing but it has proved to be a good line for me.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Guys.

Down the local fishing shop today and the owner tested some of the 'new' fluoro mainline. Can't remember the name on the box but same as mono's they are made by very few different manufacturers and just re-branded. Anyway the line tested quite well and looked promising. Won't be going on my reels just yet as I have more than enough big game for the next 10 years, but I'll be interested what the feedback is from the banks.

Rob.

as I have more than enough big game for the next 10 years,

Only if you store it out of any sunlight and with nitrogen rather than air in the storage container.

Mono won't remain reliable any where near that long.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Only if you store it out of any sunlight and with nitrogen rather than air in the storage container.

Mono won't remain reliable any where near that long.

I beg to differ. Stored out of direct sunlight is the only factor. I also know it will be fine that long because I had a previous spool for almost that long. It gets tested before use but there's been no deterioration in the last 5 or 6 years so I'm more than happy to carry on. And unlike when I buy it from a shop, I know where it's been stored and for how long.

Rob.

Daiwa sensor for me too. Cheap and reliable, I have no good reason to use anything else. I did try Fox's equivalent (Warrior, I think it's called) and didn't like it - very stiff and loads of memory. In lighter breaking strains I've been using Drennan floatfish (very nice) and another Drennan line, which I can't remember the name of - it's a tough old bit of string though, and great for the rivers.

But for bulk spools of 10lb and higher for carp/pike/zander/etc. it's Sensor every time for me. Great stuff!

I also wouldn't use flourocarbon ever as a mainline, and only very rarely use it as a hooklength. Way overhyped in my opinion, the price is far beyond its capabilities.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Daiwa sensor for me too. Cheap and reliable, I have no good reason to use anything else. I did try Fox's equivalent (Warrior, I think it's called) and didn't like it - very stiff and loads of memory. In lighter breaking strains I've been using Drennan floatfish (very nice) and another Drennan line, which I can't remember the name of - it's a tough old bit of string though, and great for the rivers.

But for bulk spools of 10lb and higher for carp/pike/zander/etc. it's Sensor every time for me. Great stuff!

I also wouldn't use flourocarbon ever as a mainline, and only very rarely use it as a hooklength. Way overhyped in my opinion, the price is far beyond its capabilities.

What sort of mono breaking strains do you use for carping, do you change the strength with the seasons ?

Edited by kestrel

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

I dunno. $60 (£30) for 1000 yards of 12lb or $14 (£7) for 200 yards of fluorocarbon is higher than mono but does not seem excessive to me even if you add the 30% it would cost to have it shipped to the UK.

A 4oz spool of fluoro was I think about £16 in my local shop, I think that was 12lb.

I use 15lb all year round because I fish in a lot of weed most of the time. I wouldn't however change from season to season anyway but then I'm probably a bit too lazy.

Rob.

Ouch at that price I think. About how much line on a 4oz spool of 12lb Rob?

I normally use 17lb and that is a little more expensive with the large spool only holding 800 yds for that same price and the 200 yd spool costing $2 more than the 12lb.

A 4oz spool of fluoro was I think about £16 in my local shop, I think that was 12lb.

I use 15lb all year round because I fish in a lot of weed most of the time. I wouldn't however change from season to season anyway but then I'm probably a bit too lazy.

Rob.

I fish a lake that is weedy as well, I intend to step up from the 10lb bs mono to either 12 or 15 lb bs. mono line that is on 2 od my reels. Maybe that is what knocked the life out of my 12lb , all that weed.

x -line ?

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.