If you think bag limits are just for Bass...............

The Cornish SFC has recently voted to create a local bye law that will restrict anglers to how many bass they can keep, much the same as all the other SFC's around the country have been asked to do by Anthony Hynes of DEFRA. However, if you look at the document prepared by the Cornish SFC for their last meeting, here

you will see that bag limits are only being sought for a single species AT THIS TIME!!! The Cornish SFC already have a local bye law in place that prevents anyone other than a licenced commercial fisherman from taking more than two shellfish, (crabs/Lobsters), per day. They will soon have a bye law in place for bag limits on bass. What will be next?

These proposals for bag limits on bass are the thin end of the wedge. I believe that their ultimate goal is to impose bag limits on anglers for ALL species. Whether you fish for bass or not, bag limits will be coming your way soon. We need to all fight these mad proposals before it's too late. These bye laws will be advertised locally once they are written up by the SFC's. Letters of objection need to be sent in, not only to the SFC's but to DEFRA and Ben Bradshaw too via your local MP's. Get your club secretary to write on behalf of all the members.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once the principle is established that discrimatory restrictions can be place on a sector, not for any valid conservation reason, then there is the possibility that will be extended to other species.

And although a generous bag limit may ensure that many people say 'Fair enough, I can live with that', or 'It won't affect me I don't fish for bass', once the principle has been accepted, there will be no guarantee that such bag limits will not be reduced in future, perhaps to zero for some species.

If there is a conservation need, then it might be acceptable to accept bag limits, but only if it is part of a package that caps the total catch of all sectors, and is applied proportionately, but there isn't a hint of that in these proposals.

Better to make sure that the door stays firmly closed on this.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest challenge

What is your opinion on rod licensing Leon? Surely this would have to be introduced prior to any sort of bag limitations.

Regards.

Its quite cunning of defra to do business this way. Get the sfc's to do their work then the sfc's are dealing with smaller groups of individuals ie not the whole angling community in one go.

I can't see anyway to stop what is coming for a lot of areas. Perhaps I shouldn't say anything in case I upset the apple cart locally but at the present time our sfc thinks bag limits for anglers are unnecassery. I always said our sfc are a lot more sensible than most. However we haven't just upset ours by impacting on their bass catches.

However that's only round one because DEFRA plan a second wave of attacks under the marine bill and the angling strategy (wont hit us for a couple of years but it's coming) and then after that the eu could well be after us to. I saw something interesting the other day suggesting our european friends are after us too with several countries lobbying the eu to have north sea anglers catches restricted. I think your sfc's could be the least of your worries. I was quite amused to learn that discussions on this forum were actually being debated at EU level - weired world isn't it.

I don't know where it will all end but I don't see our great gaurdian's the NFSA mobilising and coming to our rescue.

Can someone who pays for information from anglings representative body tell someone not willing to pay, if there has been any mention of this from the nfsa yet ? in any form ?

Edited by glennk

Its quite cunning of defra to do business this way. Get the sfc's to do their work then the sfc's are dealing with smaller groups of individuals ie not the whole angling community in one go.

I can't see anyway to stop what is coming for a lot of areas. Perhaps I shouldn't say anything in case I upset the apple cart locally but at the present time our sfc thinks bag limits for anglers are unnecassery. I always said our sfc are a lot more sensible than most. However we haven't just upset ours by impacting on their bass catches.

That's why the whole angling community has to stick together Glenn. Your SFC might not have voted for bag limits on bass, but I wonder how they'll vote when it is bag limits for Cod on the agenda? As you say, your SFC aren't that bothered with bass, probably because there is very little commercial bass fishing going on up there.

By the way, which SFC's were upset then, and by what impacting on bass stocks?

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest challenge

Glenk

DEFRA are more than cunning. Ask any commercial fisherman.

I think that darlick had the right idea. Quite simple really. He is a very good angler who wants to be able to practise his hobby the same way as he always has. plus he wanted to get free of local by laws restricting him to what he could and could not catch in his few pots and bit of net. He solved it quite simply by registering himself as a commercial fisherman.

Regards.

Glenk

DEFRA are more than cunning. He solved it quite simply by registering himself as a commercial fisherman.

Regards.

So in theory, we could all register to get around any rsa bag limits? With out selling as i certainly don,t, how do we land fish ligit?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Glenk

DEFRA are more than cunning. Ask any commercial fisherman.

I think that darlick had the right idea. Quite simple really. He is a very good angler who wants to be able to practise his hobby the same way as he always has. plus he wanted to get free of local by laws restricting him to what he could and could not catch in his few pots and bit of net. He solved it quite simply by registering himself as a commercial fisherman.

Regards.

John leave me out of this, the reason i got licenced was for peace of mind.you are correct about getting free of the ever tightening by laws.

It took a lot of time and money to get everything sorted with the licence so many rules and regulations as you know yourself, but now its nice to go to sea knowing that if we have a good day we can land the catch with peace of mind sell a bit of fish sell a few lobster stock up the freezer, we make a few quid that pays for fuel, gear, boat dues,insurance, ect

We dont even pay the staff :lol:

But what we do have is a good time and no worries. :D

So as soon as this sea falls away john we will have a go pay will be the same if thats ok :lol:

John leave me out of this, the reason i got licenced was for peace of mind.you are correct about getting free of the ever tightening by laws.

It took a lot of time and money to get everything sorted with the licence so many rules and regulations as you know yourself, but now its nice to go to sea knowing that if we have a good day we can land the catch with peace of mind sell a bit of fish sell a few lobster stock up the freezer, we make a few quid that pays for fuel, gear, boat dues,insurance, ect

We dont even pay the staff :lol:

But what we do have is a good time and no worries. :D

So as soon as this sea falls away john we will have a go pay will be the same if thats ok :lol:

Thanks for putting it into perspective Darlick. You have got through your pain barrier and good luck to you. Now as rsa, our fight is just beginning. Bag limits, licences and who knows what.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..