Does Bob cox need to see a docter ?

glennk

Bob Cox has proposed that the monies raised from a licence fee be used to buy out the waters up to 6 mile and reserve them for sea anglers only.

The economics of the licence fee buying out the Commercials from the six mile limit has a lot of merit and leaves some surplus if only the half million RSAs used in the example subscribe to the licence

What do people think of this proposal ? Is it good news or do you think Bob needs a consultation down his local GP's surgery ?

Edited by glennk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Cox has proposed that the monies raised from a licence fee be used to buy out the waters up to 6 mile and reserve them for sea anglers only.

What do people think of this proposal ? Is it good news or do you think Bob needs a consultation down his local GP's surgery ?

Hi glen

I like the idea dont you???????????

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Bob's been talking about this for a long time. It sounds pie in the sky initially, but when you look at it properly, it actually works on paper. I haven't seen the article yet, are the figures in there? I can't remember them off the top of my head, but they add up. It could just be a solution. The only way it could fail is if the commercials don't want to be bought out, but can you imagine being paid your annual wage NOT to work? Would you be up for it or not? I know I would! Even if most of them were up for it, it would still make a big difference, far better than the golden mile.

The added beauty of it is the fact that it would only be inside 6 miles, so the foreigners wouldn't get a penny :thumbs: The logistics would be an absolute nightmare and would take lots and lots of management, so DEFRA would be happy too :thumbs: There would be a Marine Protected area thousand of miles square, all around the UK, which would keep the greens happy.

Now for this, I definately would be prepared to pay a licence fee!

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest challenge

I cannot believe that it has taken so long for somebody to think of this. the whole fishing industry (like any other industry) is up for sale to the right buyer (one who has a lot of money) I would of thought that somebody would of put two and two together when they see the amount of money being handed about for quota and days at sea.

Of course not all commercial fishermen do the job just for the money. Especially the inshore boys. Of course they do it for a living the same as another fisherman does but there love of the job you would find priceless.

Then again there’s a lot of RSA who wouldn’t be seen dead fishing inside of sixty miles never mind six so I don’t think that they would agree.

Maybe they could bring a license (very expensive) to fish within six miles and even more expensive to have your feet on land while doing it? This would then allow the powers that be to put it to the commercial fishermen who fish in this area?

Regards

I hate to rain on anyone’s parade, but the idea that the monies collected from a compulsory RSA sea licensing scheme would be used for the benefit of RSAs is somewhat naïve. And the idea that RSAs can dictate to the government exactly what to spend the licence revenue on, is taking naivety to its extreme limits. It is exactly like telling our government not to spend our tax money on wars but to spend it on the NHS. There is no way it is going to happen.

However, as Challenge suggests, everything is for sale; and as I have said before, if the UK sea anglers joined forces, they could buy up a large section of the British commercial fishing industry for the cost of a new rod, reel and line for each of them. If Manchester United can do it, so can anyone else. All you need is money. I believe something on these lines has already been done in Australia.

I can only see one problem with this idea and it is that, like the commercial fishermen, you would have to continually lobby the government not to give your quota away to other EU countries.

Instead of pontificating over something which is unachievable, perhaps putting your money where your mouth is - and doing something like this - may turn out to be constructive.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

I hate to rain on anyone’s parade, but the idea that the monies collected from a compulsory RSA sea licensing scheme would be used for the benefit of RSAs is somewhat naïve. And the idea that RSAs can dictate to the government exactly what to spend the licence revenue on, is taking naivety to its extreme limits. It is exactly like telling our government not to spend our tax money on wars but to spend it on the NHS. There is no way it is going to happen.

However, as Challenge suggests, everything is for sale; and as I have said before, if the UK sea anglers joined forces, they could buy up a large section of the British commercial fishing industry for the cost of a new rod, reel and line for each of them. If Manchester United can do it, so can anyone else. All you need is money. I believe something on these lines has already been done in Australia.

I can only see one problem with this idea and it is that, like the commercial fishermen, you would have to continually lobby the government not to give your quota away to other EU countries.

Instead of pontificating over something which is unachievable, perhaps putting your money where your mouth is - and doing something like this - may turn out to be constructive.

JB

I'm afraid i have to agree, any monies generatd by the licenses would be swallowed by the beaurocratic machinery as they usually keep growing untill they swallow any funds available. Any benfits realised by RSAs would be short lived in the extreme, however as per the other idea i don't know enough about how the quota system works and fail to understand how if, for example RSAs had banded together and bought chunks of the industry the quota could then be given away.

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?