Does Bob cox need to see a docter ?

glennk

I'm afraid i have to agree, any monies generatd by the licenses would be swallowed by the beaurocratic machinery as they usually keep growing untill they swallow any funds available. Any benfits realised by RSAs would be short lived in the extreme, however as per the other idea i don't know enough about how the quota system works and fail to understand how if, for example RSAs had banded together and bought chunks of the industry the quota could then be given away.

Quota is usually allocated to the licence based on previous track record.

If the boat is scrapped and the licence extinguished the quota lives on and is sold seperately.

(So scrapping of boats doesn't mean that there is less fish available for the fleet as a whole to catch!)

And quota is allocated every year, so you can sell this year's quota, and sell a licence with a track record that might give quota in future years, but there is no guarantee.

But what we are talking about here is buying out the rights of commercial vessels to fish in the six mile limit.

Whatever quota is available, it wouldn't be available within the six, so is largely irrelevant to this discussion

(though fish wandering outside of the 6 will be 'fair game' so we still might not see any increase in species such as cod that roam the seas and only appear within the 6 at certain times of the year)

(Only a small part of the revenue from the freshwater licence is used for administration and enforcement, the rest is spent on fisheries)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know enough about it Steve to be able to comment either way. I posted this on my forum and as usual the replies came back no way !!!! Perhaps the people up here just want things as they are now ?

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/in...opic,199.0.html

Edited by glennk

I love the idea so long as the amount paid keeps me and number one son in the standard of living that we've become accustomed for the rest of our days.

no one with a fair mind could complain about giving a fair price for a blokes livelihood (although they probably will!)

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

Quota is usually allocated to the licence based on previous track record.

If the boat is scrapped and the licence extinguished the quota lives on and is sold seperately.

(So scrapping of boats doesn't mean that there is less fish available for the fleet as a whole to catch!)

And quota is allocated every year, so you can sell this year's quota, and sell a licence with a track record that might give quota in future years, but there is no guarantee.

But what we are talking about here is buying out the rights of commercial vessels to fish in the six mile limit.

Whatever quota is available, it wouldn't be available within the six, so is largely irrelevant to this discussion

(though fish wandering outside of the 6 will be 'fair game' so we still might not see any increase in species such as cod that roam the seas and only appear within the 6 at certain times of the year)

(Only a small part of the revenue from the freshwater licence is used for administration and enforcement, the rest is spent on fisheries)

Thanks Leon the fog clears, although i cant agree that the revenues would work in proportion the same as the freshwater does, i am thinking that the coarse infrastructure has been in place for quite some time and as such there are no hangovers (financial) left from the adminastrative set-up.

Thanks Leon the fog clears, although i cant agree that the revenues would work in proportion the same as the freshwater does, i am thinking that the coarse infrastructure has been in place for quite some time and as such there are no hangovers (financial) left from the adminastrative set-up.

In fact, as the EA already have a system in place for collecting and recording information on both coarse and on game fishing licences, it really shouldn't cost very much to extend their system to include sea angling licences (and perhaps have a licence that covers both freshwater and saltwater maybe?)

No, Im not giving them ideas, it's already being considered by the officials looking at the possibility of a sea angling licence at some future date, hopefully when they have a management system in place for the Recreational Sea Fisheries that is worth paying for (and they have taken that message on board as well!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

This has always been the case and, in my opinion, would still be the case, whether there was a golden mile or a golden six miles.

In my opinion, sea and fresh water licences make a poor comparison. To my knowledge, in the fresh waters of the UK there is no major commercial fishery to contend with. Only the anglers have to be pleased. I am sure I will be corrected if I’m wrong, but I don’t think that the EU has the last word in the control of fresh water angling.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

What revenue will be gained from licences if it ever comes to fruition i doubht will ever be handed to anybody it will be swallowed up into the goverments big pot it all sounds like a good idea but if this idea ever materialized i would show my arse in woollys window.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

In fact, as the EA already have a system in place for collecting and recording information on both coarse and on game fishing licences, it really shouldn't cost very much to extend their system to include sea angling licences (and perhaps have a licence that covers both freshwater and saltwater maybe?)

No, Im not giving them ideas, it's already being considered by the officials looking at the possibility of a sea angling licence at some future date, hopefully when they have a management system in place for the Recreational Sea Fisheries that is worth paying for (and they have taken that message on board as well!)

Fair comment, especially the 'worth paying for' bit, are thy talking nominal (reasonable) fee or sport killing extortion do you know?

Also have to consider JB's comment to be a good point though.