The use of bass as bait

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Guest bennyTHEBASS

This thread is not a wind up or a cheap kick.

the use of sizeable bass as bait is totally bad practice (and to catch conger)what a sad waste!!

these people should take up golf as it gives angling a bad name

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO just why is a bass any diffrent from a Mackerel, Herring or even the humble sandeel? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I am not knowledgable in this matter. But I cant understand why anybody would use bass anyway surely many species are more readily available eg. mackerel and whiting and every bit as good if not better and surely easier to catch.

The use of "someone elses" species as bait is however widespread in angling eg. pike anglers are happy to use roach but most would go mad if you suggested using a jack as a bait.

Some like to use coalies (I do) or pollack baits for skate. What do you use as a bass bait ?? do you livebait ?? and with what ??

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

So what about the humble Mackerel.. it can live for 17 years and grow to over 5lb in weight, yet most of them never reach more than 1lb and nobody thinks twice about them. How many out there know that just handling a Mackerel is enough to cause it to die within 24hrs ???

Or if you want to go for slow growers .. how about Spurdog, they very slow growers and can live up to 75 years and reach over 20lb yet there are loads of them killed every year by anglers.

Ballan Wrasse and Mullet are other slow growers that are caught and killed by anglers every year. Many of which are killed only so the captor can get his or her name in the press.

What about the sizable bass that are killed every year by anglers.. surely an angler that is only keeping a few in size bass for bait and releasing the other Adult spawning fish is doing more for Bass conservation than the angler that is killing and keeping the bass that are in the spawning size range?

No doubt there are thousands of undersized fish including Bass killed every year by using bad angling practices.

So with this in mind, how can you call using the odd sizable fish for bait bad practice.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

have i missed something ? who is using bass as conger bait ? was it farmed or did they catch it ? not everyone likes the flavour of bass, bit of smoked eel tastes far better.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

davey

taking the just insize bass is just as bad as taking the bigger spawning fish

if we take all the small bass , there will be no bigger bass in years to come

thats the way i look at it

i have used bass as bait ive never killed them to do it i have only ever used them when they have swallowed massive pennel hooks meant for conger when a 2lb bass takes them theres no chance of suvival, im not interested in eating them and i would rather feed them to a conger as a well displayed fresh fillet than see them washed up dead the next morning or just simply dieing and rotting in the sea.and at the moment i far more concerned about sandeels than bass. if the sandeel population drops much more bass will be one of the first fish to dissapear saying as they are the staple food for most fish in the brithish isles. maybe you should wait and listen first benny then mayby you wouldnt be so quick to jump to conclusions.i will fish for bass as readily as most men with spinning gear or flys. i have never killed one that would go back alive i never will.how many cod did you return this winter i took 3 all winter for a meal.out of off probable 20 fish since october.im not the sort of person you think i am so backoff now please im a good guy were fishing is concerned.listen to what people have to say before you condem them

oh and the day i use a golf club is the day the fish see me coming and jump out of the water at my feet.

Let's keep this thread friendly. Any bitching or namecalling and you know what will happen....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.