Gower anyone?

Jolanta Zofia Nowak

I was wondering whether anyone here had any experience of fishing off the rocks on the Gower. Particularly interested in mackerel or bass.

Some excellent sport with bass and mackeral in season, spinning, fly, or bait fishing, some good spots on low tide on the outer edge of the rocks leading to worms head, but watch the tide getting caught out can be fatal, young chap lost his life last year and his girl friend had a close escape.

Some excellent surf fishing on the bay from Rhosili to Burry Holms for bass and Yellow Ear Mullet plus some good flatties.

A lot of bass are under size but there are bigger fish to be caught, fish the rising tide and a cast of sixty yards or so is all you need the bay rises quicker than Cefyn Sidan so deeper water is closer to hand.

Fact is your spoilt for choice.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Some excellent sport with bass and mackeral in season, spinning, fly, or bait fishing, some good spots on low tide on the outer edge of the rocks leading to worms head, but watch the tide getting caught out can be fatal, young chap lost his life last year and his girl friend had a close escape.

Some excellent surf fishing on the bay from Rhosili to Burry Holms for bass and Yellow Ear Mullet plus some good flatties.

A lot of bass are under size but there are bigger fish to be caught, fish the rising tide and a cast of sixty yards or so is all you need the bay rises quicker than Cefyn Sidan so deeper water is closer to hand.

Fact is your spoilt for choice.

Thanks for that, Ken.

I have this vague memory as a child of fishing with my Dad somewhere near Pennard and coming back up a steep path with a big haul of mackerel.

Will probably be going to the Gower again this summer and staying more in the Mumbles/Oystermouth area. Jola

I was wondering whether anyone here had any experience of fishing off the rocks on the Gower. Particularly interested in mackerel or bass.

Where is Spasor when we need him?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

The Gower has huge tides, many sandy bays fill up at high tide giving deep water directly off any rocks. Large swells after high winds so take care if fishing into the wind due to the odd very large wave.

Broughton Bay - good rock fishing at the western end - flatties, Bass and Mackeral. At the eastern end the locals fish the sand channels up from low water for Bass but you must have a guide or you'll get trapped by the rising water.

Rhossilli - huge beach to Burry Holmes . .excellent at ether end ( Bass, Mullet ), mid way along watch the locals as 50m one way or the other can mean a blank.

Three Cliffs Bay, baited spinner for Flatties, plugging for Bass, the tide has one hell of a rip here.

Mumbles - good from the breakwater, near the slipway - float fish live or dead Sandeel for Mackeral, Horse Mackeral, School Bass.

Mumbles pier - most bottom species inc Bass, rough ground on the RH side.

Best to check ahead of a trip how it's fishing. My last visit several years ago in early June had seen a cold spring and no Bass or Mackeral had been seen. If your making your way down to the rocks though the grass watch out for Adders. Great to see them, just don't sit on one like a mate of mine did ( he was lucky ).

Andrew Boyd

The Gower has huge tides, many sandy bays fill up at high tide giving deep water directly off any rocks. Large swells after high winds so take care if fishing into the wind due to the odd very large wave.

Broughton Bay - good rock fishing at the western end - flatties, Bass and Mackeral. At the eastern end the locals fish the sand channels up from low water for Bass but you must have a guide or you'll get trapped by the rising water.

Rhossilli - huge beach to Burry Holmes . .excellent at ether end ( Bass, Mullet ), mid way along watch the locals as 50m one way or the other can mean a blank.

Three Cliffs Bay, baited spinner for Flatties, plugging for Bass, the tide has one hell of a rip here.

Mumbles - good from the breakwater, near the slipway - float fish live or dead Sandeel for Mackeral, Horse Mackeral, School Bass.

Mumbles pier - most bottom species inc Bass, rough ground on the RH side.

Best to check ahead of a trip how it's fishing. My last visit several years ago in early June had seen a cold spring and no Bass or Mackeral had been seen. If your making your way down to the rocks though the grass watch out for Adders. Great to see them, just don't sit on one like a mate of mine did ( he was lucky ).

Very grateful for all of that, Andrew. Useful stuff. I'm looking forward to a bit of luck on my family holiday this year!

during the summer you will have loads of options....

mumbles breakwater will probably be full of dogfish, feathers for mackeral a possibility

mumbles pier better mark than the breakwater but with a charge of £3.00 per rod try and get on the very end, bass can be caught here on the float with live sandeel (bought at rogers tackle), mackeral and garfish too to all sorts of methods. ledgering with small bunches of maddies cast out on very light tackle and slowl (very) retrieved can get you results with black bream and flatties (on the right hand side of the pier at low water), down the side amoungst the concrete footings is good for wrasse and triggers!!

oxwich - avoid day time as there is just too many people on the beach, you can get bass and flatties off here to ledgered worm, crab or razor the point can be a walk but can be worthwhile plugging, big crab baits for bass.

port eynon good low water mark off the rocks at the salthouse using a dexter/feathers for mackeral, have also had pollack off here too...never had too much luck with the bass.

these are a taster of a couple of the main the main areas of the south gower with out giving away any secrets. If you want to PM me closer to the time i will let you know where is in form and methods and may be able to meet up.

incidently they hire out ocean kayaks in oxwich (which i do a fair bit of kayaking fishing on the gower) if you wanted to give that a go.

john

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk

• 2 months later...

Jolanta,

Your vague memory is I suspect of foxhole. In Southgate, Pennard (roudabout and national trust carpark at the top of the cliffs with a shop as well) Steep walk down and a little scramble round the coasta; path will bring you to something the locals call 'Elephants Head'. Supreme mackeral and pollack fishing with feathers, spinners, jellies, shads etc. Hope you have a good holiday

Daiivor