Rsa versus Commercial

stavey

Good evenin Wurzel, acourding to you i am way off the mark, could you please explain to me the differance in the take of 36cm compared to the total amount of bass landed. What is the percentage?

Barry - I think it depends on what part of the country they're in. Some areas seem to only hold small bass.

Personally I think the mesh size should have been increased this year as there's more bass than usual hitting the 36-40cm range due to the big 2002 yearclass. This abundance of bass would have compensated for the reduction in takeable fish due to increase in mesh size.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry - I think it depends on what part of the country they're in. Some areas seem to only hold small bass.

Personally I think the mesh size should have been increased this year as there's more bass than usual hitting the 36-40cm range due to the big 2002 yearclass. This abundance of bass would have compensated for the reduction in takeable fish due to increase in mesh size.

Hi Toerag long time no speak. I know it's bass again and i know its portland and the race i'm talking about. Last week someone posted on here that the bass from the shore was of a size five to eight pounds and that was not unusual. Yesterday a very well known charter skipper who has spent the last 30 odd years fishing from Weymouth put on another site that the bass in the race, it was unusual if they were under 6 pounds. You can see were i'm coming from on this. At present in the race the average size of the bass is one to one and a half pounds or less. I am open to offers as to what can be done to increase the size back up to something that everyone can share.

I have also spoken to a skipper mate of mine who has fished the race both commercially and chartering, when i told him that i think the mls aught to be increased he was supprised and told me that commercially they do need the 36cm fish. I think it is between the devil and the deep blue sea. What is the answer?

Off to alderney on the seventh to murder a few, hopfully.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Good evenin Wurzel, acourding to you i am way off the mark, could you please explain to me the differance in the take of 36cm compared to the total amount of bass landed. What is the percentage?

Is this why there is massive resistance in trying to increase the size of the stock because they are relying on that class of fish for a living? If so in my mind then something is wrong, it isn't given chance to grow to a size to make it really worth catching. What else should be happening to increase the size of the fish for everyones benifit? Why do we no longer hear reports of the shore angler catching bass in the size range of five to eight pounds as used to be the case. It doesn't matter too much to me, when i want to find a big bass i go and find a wreck somewhere but that is me being selfish.

Hello barry

The answer to your first question is, how long is a bit of string?

It depends on different years, where you are fishing, gill netting ,lining or trawling, I was basing it on about £200 per box of small bass, 3 box’s of small fish during a weeks work is probably a gross under estimate for some not so for others.

I don't think there is massive resistance against trying to increase the size of the stock.

There is massive resistance against lopsided regulations.

Why are there big bass on the wrecks and not along the shore? Wrecks get fished as do the reefs and sand banks, where are these big bass you catch coming from?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hi Toerag long time no speak. I know it's bass again and i know its portland and the race i'm talking about. Last week someone posted on here that the bass from the shore was of a size five to eight pounds and that was not unusual. Yesterday a very well known charter skipper who has spent the last 30 odd years fishing from Weymouth put on another site that the bass in the race, it was unusual if they were under 6 pounds. You can see were i'm coming from on this. At present in the race the average size of the bass is one to one and a half pounds or less. I am open to offers as to what can be done to increase the size back up to something that everyone can share.

I have also spoken to a skipper mate of mine who has fished the race both commercially and chartering, when i told him that i think the mls aught to be increased he was supprised and told me that commercially they do need the 36cm fish. I think it is between the devil and the deep blue sea. What is the answer?

Off to alderney on the seventh to murder a few, hopfully.

Hello Barry

The only way to get the bass back to how they were is to ban bass fishing or for rsa complete catch and relese for 30 years, same goes for the shore marks.

Hi wurzel

As normal with commercials its all about MONEY!! and they will kill anything that swims to get it, the size or maturity of the species has little irrelevence to them imo this cannot be denied, i guess in time when whats left of the industry finally goes belly up the sea might just get a little rest but unfortunately it will probably take the rsa with it :( :( :(

Hello Stavey

The only reason the industry will go belly up is when the government and the greens force it too. not because of lack of fish.

Hello barry

It depends on different years, where you are fishing, gill netting ,lining or trawling, I was basing it on about £200 per box of small bass, 3 box’s of small fish during a weeks work is probably a gross under estimate for some not so for others.

I don't think there is massive resistance against trying to increase the size of the stock.

Why are there big bass on the wrecks and not along the shore? Wrecks get fished as do the reefs and sand banks, where are these big bass you catch coming from?

Hi Peter

Anglers been catching nice big bass in my area off the beach for some time now.

For the record the Weymouth commercials catch lots of big bass during the summer if anyone says differant then they do not know how to catch them or where they get

regards steve

Hello barry

Evenin Wurzel, I don't do the shore, if i'm bassing it is nearly all wrecking apart from the race and over in alderney. I have caught them from top, middle channel and down the west country. For the larger bass i would say that it is equall in all three places. Regarding the race, personally i think it is under a lot of pressure both rsa and commercially which is a shame.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Peter

Anglers been catching nice big bass in my area off the beach for some time now.

For the record the Weymouth commercials catch lots of big bass during the summer if anyone says differant then they do not know how to catch them or where they get

regards steve

Good we will look forward to the photogaphs in the mags then. Photo's we need photo's. The average size in the race is 36 to 45cm If commercial catch the big bass, why do they need to target the juvenils in the race as well knowing full well that to give them a chance to grow would also increase the value of their catch, don't make sence.?

Edited by barry luxton