Fishing tackle survival kit?

Mike the Hiker

Hi group

I know nothing about fishing but am a keen hiker, both in the UK and Continent. I want to add an ultralight fishing kit to my survival kit, in case of emergency where I was stuck in a remote place without food and needed to catch some to survive. This would not be for recreation, only for emergencies.

I'm hoping to keep this to < 20 grams, and was thinking of including:

10m Fishing line (what weight?)

Some fishing hooks (what size would be best?)

Would I need fishing lures (is that what you call those things that look like flies?), lead shot weight and swivels?

Thanks for any info,

Mike

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Don't bother with lures, use the bait near the water, worms, grub even seeds from plants.

Use hooks between 18 and 14.

3lb hook length and 5 or 6 pound main line.

A small river float will work on all waters.

A selection of shot to get bait down and balance float.

Hand line will save weight of a rod, you could use a stick.

You could just set up a static fixed line over night when you bivvie up.

This could be set up on a fixed ledger.

All in all you could get all youneed in to a roll film cannister. :)

Hello Mike, and welcome to AnglersNet

I must admit, yours is one of the strangest first-posts we've ever had on here. That was not an insult to you btw :)

Firstly, catching coarse fish for the pot is frowned upon in England, and will even be illegal on some waters (lakes in particular!). However, let's assume you are going to be fishing on the continent where catch-and-release isn't the norm ;)

Fishing line - between 3-10lb breaking strain, depending on what you are hoping to catch. I will not advise you to 'peg out' the line and come back to it later, that is illegal in England and may well be so on the continent. However, angling first started with a branch cut off a willow tree or something similar and the line (horsehair) tied onto the end, maybe you could find one or two on your journey?

Hooks - between size 12 and 18 (the larger the number, the smaller the size). You can buy them loose or pre-tied to hooklengths. The hooklength should always be weaker than the mainline, about 75% is about right.

Float - a small float, I prefer Drennan Crystal Wagglers but there are plenty on the market. Buy a selection of small and medium. You can also use a small piece of twig (about 3 inches long) held on the line by a couple of float rubbers.

Split shot - a selection of shot will be indispensable in getting your bait out. Small boxes are readily available.

I must emphasise though, fishing with a hand-line might well be illegal in some countries on the continent, and you will have to buy a licence to fish any water in England....

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Guest Ferret1959

Err survival/emergency kit not pleasure.

Me thinks the law would be a far distant thought.

Think someone didn't read the question. ;) ;) ;):D

Hi Mike and welcome. The question would have seemed less strange in the UK I think where we are more accustomed to thinking of and dealing with wilderness hiking but I think it is an excellent idea regardless of where you wander.

A suggestion to you would be that when you have your kit assembled, you take a day to fish with someone experienced so you can get a feel for how to use the tackle.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Firstly, catching coarse fish for the pot is frowned upon in England, and will even be illegal on some waters (lakes in particular!). However, let's assume you are going to be fishing on the continent where catch-and-release isn't the norm ;)

i can see it now.

Mike: But your honor if i did not eat the fish i would have sureley died.

your honor: its still illegal, you should have not taken the fish and eaten it, you will now have to pay the court £1,000 and be banned from fishing for the next 2 years.

seems like a good idea to have a little emergency pack at the ready, even having it in the glove compartment of the car would be handy :D

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk