boilie recipe

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Big Jo

Big Jo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:fishing, hunting, sport, rugby, cars, camping, well anything outdoors realy.

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

hi
i want to try and make my own boilies and i bought a boilie making set-up but no recipes
I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out with a few recipes.
And also a few good ground bait mixes
thanks for wathcing and helping
big jo :thumbs:
Big Jo

Go BIG or go Home

#2 Elton

Elton

Site Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,429 posts
  • Interests:fishing, internet, cars, my dog

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

Few to get you started here:

http://www.anglersne...ait_recipe.html

Also, if you're just starting out, this may help:

http://www.anglersne...ke_boilies.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for Dragon Carp Direct, one of the cheapest tackle shops anywhere.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

#3 poledark

poledark

• Anglers' Net Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,682 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Photography,computing,making Steam Loco's

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:10 PM

Big Jo, most tackle shops sell base mixes, for a start try a simple fishmeal base with a fishy additive. Don't confuse the issue with to many ingrediants.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul.................. 

for all you Spodders.       https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

#4 scoop

scoop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

6eggs
500grams mainline maple8 base mix
15grams grated belachan
8ml maple activator
15mm bio serium

simple mix easy to roll and catches loads

#5 Big Jo

Big Jo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:fishing, hunting, sport, rugby, cars, camping, well anything outdoors realy.

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

thank you.
will try a few to see what work.
how long do you boil them for and how long do you dry them
can i put a fan on them to speed up the drying prosess
thank you
big jo
Big Jo

Go BIG or go Home

#6 Si...

Si...

r0x0r5

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

I use this in summer with fairly good results

16oz+/- Nutrabaits Enervite Gold
6 Large eggs
5ml Nash Strawberry palatant
4ml Hutchy Orange Oil
1ml Hutchy vanilla ice cream

Boil for 2 minutes max then air dry for 12-24 hours. If not using the next day or 3, you can freeze them, they should be good for 5-7 days unfrozen

#7 Jigotai

Jigotai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:FISHING,JUDO,MOTORBIKES

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

Has anyone have any recipes where you don't have to buy the latest flavours and base mixes from the tackle shop. ie ingredients you might find in your cupboards at home.

#8 Peter Sharpe

Peter Sharpe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:Making string

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:54 PM

Has anyone have any recipes where you don't have to buy the latest flavours and base mixes from the tackle shop. ie ingredients you might find in your cupboards at home.

I really do hate to be a spoilsport, but after years of making a mess with bait making and stinking the house out, I've come to the conclusion that you are far better off investing in a bag of high quality commercially made baits and using hemp, corn, maize, chick peas and/or Vitalin as the attractors.
I think some of the bait companies well and truly conned many people a few years ago (with the help of certain "celebrity" anglers), into thinking that carpet bombing with fifty quid's worth of expensive bait per session was the only way to go. If you want to go down that route then good luck to you, but I honestly think that the intelligent use of maize, chick peas or even tiger nuts (which personally, I've never caught a damned thing on) will catch you more fish than knocking up what are quite likely to be very poor boilies made from cheap ingredients.
Just a personal opinion you understand.

Edited by Peter Sharpe, 15 March 2007 - 07:37 AM.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

#9 Guest_Brumagem Phil_*

Guest_Brumagem Phil_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:06 AM

I'm totally with peter on this one.

I do quite like the idea of some tasty hookbaits from time to time, but to be fair its hard to beat 2 or 3 grains of maize on a hair with a nice bed of boiled up pigeon food as an attractor.

Cost wise the 2 just simply don't compare.

As it happens I've boiled up a load of pigeon mix today to kick off my pre-baiting campaign tomorrow. A huge bucketful which doesnt even owe me 2 quid.

I did try making my own boilies by the way......didnt work out very cheap really to be honest and they were not even that good either.

#10 Jigotai

Jigotai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:FISHING,JUDO,MOTORBIKES

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

I really do hate to be a spoilsport, but after years of making a mess with bait making and stinking the house out, I've come to the conclusion that you are far better off investing in a bag of high quality commercially made baits and using hemp, corn, maize, chick peas and/or Vitalin as the attractors.
I think some of the bait companies well and truly conned many people a few years ago (with the help of certain "celebrity" anglers), into thinking that carpet bombing with fifty quid's worth of expensive bait per session was the only way to go. If you want to go down that route then good luck to you, but I honestly think that the intelligent use of maize, chick peas or even tiger nuts (which personally, I've never caught a damned thing on) will catch you more fish than knocking up what are quite likely to be very poor boilies made from cheap ingredients.
Just a personal opinion you understand.

Peter, not a spoilsport at all, I agree with what you have said.
I wasn't the person that asked the original question. I just didn't feel the recipes that were given were that 'home made' as all the ingredients were from bait companies.