2007 Mullet Season

Matt Baldwin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newbie question, are they good eating?????

cheers

manick

In the main they are treated as sports fish and returned, estuary fish are generally not good to eat, those caught in open water can make a nice meal, but again they are mostly returned.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

In the main they are treated as sports fish and returned, estuary fish are generally not good to eat, those caught in open water can make a nice meal, but again they are mostly returned.

:clap2: Don't tell a NMC member that you eat mullet, they'd cry. Seriously, as Matt says, those caught in open water or OK to good, depending on the cook. Harbour and estuary ones are muddy to awful but a good sauce can hide a multitude of sins. :schmoll:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Apr 10 2007, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: Don't tell a NMC member that you eat mullet, they'd cry. Seriously, as Matt says, those caught in open water or OK to good, depending on the cook. Harbour and estuary ones are muddy to awful but a good sauce can hide a multitude of sins. :schmoll:

Hi norm

This one would do more than cry matey, and if anyone values there health they would not eat any mullet what so ever they consume large amounts of algae that forms on effluent thats washed down our rivers/estuary's to the shore etc, cheers...........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Apr 10 2007, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: Don't tell a NMC member that you eat mullet, they'd cry. Seriously, as Matt says, those caught in open water or OK to good, depending on the cook. Harbour and estuary ones are muddy to awful but a good sauce can hide a multitude of sins. :schmoll:

Hi norm

This one would do more than cry matey, and if anyone values there health they would not eat any mullet what so ever they consume large amounts of algae that forms on effluent thats washed down our rivers/estuary's to the shore etc, cheers...........

:clap2: I've actually watched them eat sewage from a sewer outfall so I don't fancy them at all but on the fishmongers slab, you don't know where they're from, YUK! :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Apr 10 2007, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Harbour and estuary ones are muddy to awful but a good sauce can hide a multitude of sins. :schmoll:

Seems most people can't remember what it's like to be hungry any more. The 7 pounder that I ate years ago, went down OK!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Apr 10 2007, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Harbour and estuary ones are muddy to awful but a good sauce can hide a multitude of sins. :schmoll:

Seems most people can't remember what it's like to be hungry any more. The 7 pounder that I ate years ago, went down OK!

:clap2: I think the cooking kills the bacteria but does nothing to improve the flavour. :clap2:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Apr 10 2007, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Harbour and estuary ones are muddy to awful but a good sauce can hide a multitude of sins. :schmoll:

Yet some of us can remember when George (jim for short) went down on mrs Ropers 7 pounder.

You said went down ok, bet it came up faster, :yucky:

1509tarpon_75_.gif

Do yourself and everyone else a favor and return any Mullet caught. A 3lb'er is aprox 10 years old so takes a long time to replace ( 5lbs = 20/25years ). I have never eaten one but have heard them described as a mouthfull of cottonwool full of pins!

I tried my first Mullet trip of the year on Sunday April 1st, yep April fools day! Fished Rochester civic center with a stream of bread particles drifting down the current just to see if anything should appear. Simple answer . . nothing.

Gave it a week and fished last Saturday on Sun pier ( Leon, I avoided Gillingham pier as it was infested with kids ), again nothing showing, although a mate, Luke, had seen a couple of Mullet resting under the pontoons a couple of days before.

I won't bother this coming weekend but intend to have an other trip out the following weekend ( wife permitting ) providing the temp holds up.

Andrew Boyd

Just a quick question on mullet identification. Was plugging for bass today at my local beach which is probably one of the most rough and exposed in the British Isles but today was dead calm and crystal cear water.

Could see a what looked like a group of tails appear above the surface, very close together circling and sort of thashing about along a weed line. There were definately a few fish tight together feeding with their noses down and occasionally rolling. Chucked everything but the kitchen sink without a pluck.

Due to the low light and glare I couldn't actually see into the water to make out whether they were mullet or bass. I thought mullet preferred sheltered areas like estuaries and back bays.

What do you think, uncooperative early season bass or mullet?