2007 Mullet Season

Matt Baldwin

Here it is...

fishlf1.jpg

Hi there Andrew im looking for some help on mullet fishing.I am looking to catch my first one this year but the problem i have is that i am in Scotland and dont know any good marks as this is my first time at mullet.Would you know any one up this way who could point me in the right direction please thanks Scottyboy

Ps nice fish mate tight line. :rolleyes:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Scottyboy

I can't claim to be the ultimate expert, but I'm getting there and in another 10 years or so you never know!

The first advice I can give is for you to read Leons articles within the sea fishing season of the main Anglers Net site. They provide a good grounding. It will depend on where you are located as to when the Mullet will return to your shores after their winter break out to sea. Here in the south east we have seen them for a number of weeks but only just started to catch them. If your unsure how to locate them try looking for areas inhabited by Swans and Ducks which get fed by the locals. The localised fish should be switched onto bread flake ( white only ) as a food source. Or, just as good a harbour where the commercial fishermen clean the fish and throw the guts over the side, the Mullet will often take a small strip of fish where they have discovered it's worth eating.

If you PM me your email address I send you a word document on Mullet fishing I have prepared over the last few months.

tight lines Andrew

Andrew Boyd

I think I am destined to remain a mullet virgin!! after thinking about fishing for them for a year and a half I finally decided to have a go this spring.After seeing Andrews post and being relatively local I have decided Sun pier is my best bet: first trip two weeks ago had to have the air-con on the trip down, started fishing small waggler around my bread bag, bottom pontoon with a "slight" head wind after two hours I could not feel my fingers,just shows how much colder the water is!! having said that my float did bury while I was picking up my drink and I snatched at the rod like a kid with his first bite resulting in the biggest birds nest I can remember for a long time. Had a few hours spare today and expected some light rain so remembered to take a jacket: two hours later almost seesick from the gale and white horses rocking the pontoon blanked again.

I will get one of the buggers!! :wallbash:

Edited by KAYC

KAYC you'll get one soon enough.

Fished last Saturday, result one bite which on lifting the rod turned a Mullet like magic into a flying fish, stayed on for 3 secs ! Remaining 5 hours were biteless. The cold wind and overcast sky seemed to have turned them off, can't blame them.

Andrew Boyd

Aginst my better judgement I agreed to take my son Matthew fishing for Mullet this afternoon. It was quite windy in my Orpington garden which means it will be blowing hard on the Medway, or indeed any stretch of water anywhere in the SE. We arrived at the civic just on low tide and carefully tackled up one rod at a time. The wind was so strong my son had to hold onto each rod while it rigged up Chubber floats etc. It short we both spent an hour in a howling gale fishing into decent sized waves which resembled a storm in a huge teacup. While the wind was warm ( 16c ) I did not expect much and my expectations were spot on. Roll on some calmer weather.

Andrew Boyd

Aginst my better judgement I agreed to take my son Matthew fishing for Mullet this afternoon. It was quite windy in my Orpington garden which means it will be blowing hard on the Medway, or indeed any stretch of water anywhere in the SE. We arrived at the civic just on low tide and carefully tackled up one rod at a time. The wind was so strong my son had to hold onto each rod while it rigged up Chubber floats etc. It short we both spent an hour in a howling gale fishing into decent sized waves which resembled a storm in a huge teacup. While the wind was warm ( 16c ) I did not expect much and my expectations were spot on. Roll on some calmer weather.

Funnily enough you nearly had company Andrew, as the urge to begin my season's mullet fishing proved near irrisitible and a check on the tide chart showed the Civic Centre as probably the best option.

Then my bean-poles blew down in the garden and I thought Nah!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• 4 weeks later...

Aren't they frustrating!

Matt and I spent hours on Sun Pier the other day, with only bass for company.

Then at last night's meeting of the Medway Mullet Group, a few pieces of bread thrown into the water sparked a feeding frenzy of some very big mullet.

Of course we didn't have any gear, and it was in a No Fishing Area!

Anyway, enjoy the video (taken with my digicam).

It's a shame that it doesn't capture the size of the fish which were long, fat and deep.

(And if that frustration wasn't enough, we then had to sit through Tony & Sue's videos of battles with king mackerel etc in Cuba - I want to catch something!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust