tips on spoding

ciaran

does any 1 have any tips on how to spod and what the best reel is to use under £100?

There must be articles on it but my ramblings;

Get a big reel (emblems are great for it), load it with 10lb line minimum and use a good nylon shock leader (and good knot) - twice the length of the rod (25lb minimum, 40lb probably best especially for use at range).

Find a good spod - I prefer the gardner rocket (the middle size) when fishing at range but people vary.

Fill the spod about 3/4 full and top up with water, just covering the bait. Then cast it out. If you are new to the game then practice with a spod full of water - ideally when no other anglers are in the vicinity. Oh and cast to a marker, but try to go either side of it rather straight at it, as you WILL catch the marker eventually.

Rob.

Here's what I do...........

Using an ordinary carp rod (3lb - 3.5lb TC) I remove my rig from the leadcore and attach an uncoated lead, using a lead clip. I then cast out to where I want to fish, a few times, and will drag the lead back to get a 'feel' of the lake bed (ie, looking (feeling) for a gravel bar or silt for example).

Once I'm happy I'll 'clip-up' (using the line-clip on the reel) and reel in, making a mental note of a feature opposite, like a tree, pylon, etc, etc, for something to aim at when casting out.

I'll then detach the lead and attach a Pocket Rocket Spod. Using the marker (tree, pylon, etc.) I'll cast out using the line-clip to stop the spod.

After I've spodded out I'll detach the spod and attach my baited rig. Still using the marker (tree, pylon, etc.) I'll cast out using the line-clip, thus dropping my bait right on the spodded mix and right on the feature I want.

You can't get any more accurate, effective and efficient than using this method for spodding - And you can forget bait boats too!

So, no need for spod rods, marker rods, marker floats, etc, etc.

Lemon Squeezy!

Garth.

That clip is from the Angling Lines DVD, which I sat and watched with a friend the other day. If anyone is interested in fishing in France, I thoroughly recommend they follow the link at the top of this page and get their copy. Their guide to fishing in France is well worth watching and you also get to see every venue, too.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

That clip is from the Angling Lines DVD, which I sat and watched with a friend the other day. If anyone is interested in fishing in France, I thoroughly recommend they follow the link at the top of this page and get their copy. Their guide to fishing in France is well worth watching and you also get to see every venue, too.

Hi Elton

Thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed it, it was fun to shoot... I'll be starting the next dozen or so clips for the 2008 DVD next week... revisiting a few of the regular waters we do and covering a few new ones too... I hope to link up with Shaun again at some point in the season and continue to do our tackle, bait, tips and sessions clips we started last year. He's a superb angler and I learn so much just filming what he does and says... looking forward to this summer.

Best Regards

Gareth

• 7 months later...
does any 1 have any tips on how to spod and what the best reel is to use under £100?

hello mate i think i can help you

make sure your rod can handle up to 8oz, spods can damage rods so beware

get a good reel the shakespere cyrpy 6000s are good only 26 quid

i like the fox spods (the stubby spod can be used on normal carp stuff)

and if u want a good spod mix use hemp,tares,maize,corn,pellets and chopped bollies

hope i helped

matt

if u need any more advice just holla