Bradshaw bottles it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If their argument is that for a mls of 40cm and mesh size of 100mm discards will be too high, let's hope he sees sense and sets the mesh size at 110mm!

Hi ColinW

It is not the mesh size of the set nets, it is as I have been saying all along the discards will be created by trawls.

One of my recent posts on here asked (I think it was Leon) to ask Dr Pawson,

what is the discard rate of bass now under the 36 cm mls and what will it be when the mls increases.

As I understand it Defra have been measuring the bass catches landed in the SW and they know now,

that the discard rate is going to be high.

Dr Pawson should have supplied discard rate as matter of course in his evidence, it is stardard

good management procedure when considering a mls increase.

regards steve

Hi ColinW

It is not the mesh size of the set nets, it is as I have been saying all along the discards will be created by trawls.

One of my recent posts on here asked (I think it was Leon) to ask Dr Pawson,

what is the discard rate of bass now under the 36 cm mls and what will it be when the mls increases.

As I understand it Defra have been measuring the bass catches landed in the SW and they know now,

that the discard rate is going to be high.

Dr Pawson should have supplied discard rate as matter of course in his evidence, it is stardard

good management procedure when considering a mls increase.

regards steve

Hi Steve

I've asked several times now and you haven't answered my questions, perhaps you could answer now? How will an MLS of 40cm increase the number of bass killed, and therefore have the detrimental effect on the bass stocks that you maintain it will? How many discards are there now? How do you avoid catching bass under 36cm? If the MLS went to 40cm, you would still be catching exactly what you are now, so how will the increase have a bad effect on bass stocks?

At the end of the day, is it right that we can't set the MLS so that the stock will be more healthy because commercial fishermen are unable, or unwilling, to avoid catching baby, undersize fish? Is it right that commercial fishermen's inability to avoid catching baby fish should have such a negative effect on fish stocks and sea angling? Is it not time that your methods were looked at more closely?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hi steve

This just proves what a complete and utter spineless person mr bradshaw realy is dont it, he knows that its down to the commercials that the shore sport is totally crap nowadays, but he just aint got the balls when it comes down it to even try to make things a little better for the rsa, until he is removed i see nothing changing what so ever.

ps, went off the local beach today caught 20 rockling 3 dabs 1 pout 1 flounder and 2 codling all undersized, spent £40.00 in the local tackle shop and have come home thinking was it realy worth it?

pps, saw plenty of nets, and its amazing how selective they are at only letting through the tiddlers dont you think? cheers...........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Could there be worse in the pipeline?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...-2027/index.htm

How much access to fisheries should be available for recreational angling?

Think about it!

Oh Well! Let's go gardening and leave them to it.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Think about it!

More needs to be done to

secure a sustainable future for the fishing industry

mmmmmmmm

So they restrict us so the commercial boys get more.

How much access to fisheries should be available for recreational angling?

Think about it!

Can you direct me to this question in that document Leon ?

Edited by glennk