les moncrieff

AThong

Anyone read the chapter on Dungeness - The fishing of Dungeness written by Leslie Moncrieff. Which book is it in ? I would like to have a read. Is it on the net?

Cheers,

Andy

thongy

Bite alarms, carp rods, baitrunners, and braid. Great for big bass on beach. I'm bringing my sofa next .....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about a book. but if you can beg/buy/borrow/steal a copy of the first issue of Creel (July 1963) there is an excellent centrepage spread by the late Les Moncrieff on the "dustbin" at Dungeness.

However, things have moved on a bit in forty years, and the presence of the warm water area on the west beach has modified how one might "read" this beach. Les's article still a good starting point though.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I saw Mr Moncrief give a casting demonstration on Dungeness beach donkeys years ago.

He was consistently casting well over 100 yards and a chap in the crowd suggested it was because he was 6ft+ tall.

Mr M got down on his knees and cast exactly the same distances.

Very, very impressive and a bloomimg nice bloke.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

This is the one Vagabound refers to, a snip at $172.50:

Venables, Robert (ed.) with contributions by William Watmough, Clive Gammon, Leslie Brewer, .V. Righyni, J. Johnston Mann, Ralph Whitaker, Richard Fitter, Leslie Moncrieff, Ralph Hedlin, L. Gladstone Gough, Tony Brenna, Fred Gleave, Robin Murrell, Roy Denny, F.W. Sharpe, Michael Prichard, Frank Fortey and John Gaselee. Creel, a Fishing Magazine, Volume 1, Number 1, July 1963

Gulf House, London,July 1963 Published by Gulf House, London July 1963 Very Good condition 64 pages.First (stated) Softcover printing In No dustjacket, as issued, illustrated wraps. Magazine. 8x11 inches, Fishing Content includes The Upstream Worm, Salmon on the fly, tuna, the Heron, Fishing the Dungeness, The Avon, Casting, salmon minnows, silkweed, suffolk, The swale.. ISBN: Book # BM06444

Price: US$ 172.50

Assuming you're not talking about The Shell Book of Angling, that seems to be pretty much it mate

--

Be Kind To Your Children, They Get To Pick Your Nursing Home.

Davey B:

This is the one Vagabond refers to, a snip at $172.50:

Cor, Lummee, that must be over a hundred quid !

I must stop standing my coffee mug on my copy

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• 6 years later...
Anyone read the chapter on Dungeness - The fishing of Dungeness written by Leslie Moncrieff. Which book is it in ? I would like to have a read. Is it on the net?

Cheers,

Andy

Barry Moncrieff Here - Son of Leslie Moncrieff - I have a DVD of my Dad and some of his Radio Talks - you are Welcome to have a Copy - I will need your Address - Mine is .......

Silverbow Cottage

Little Carharrack

Redruth

Cornwall TR16 5RS ............... Regards B Moncrieff .......... itsmonktr16@btinternet.com

blimey more celeb casters (look out Den) ,probably best to remove your details (50 year old female swooners may flock there) and arrange a mod for you to get PM's instantly.

Along with Barry Welham (another great caster but of a lower weight) and a few others your old man was a god to me as a spotty yooooof :sun:

did you follow in his footsteps ? (its a genetic thing i believe) :D

i think i met him briefly at the angling show in the 60's??? but Barrie Welham (who was there also) had to wait till a couple of years ago :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

This is the one Vagabound refers to, a snip at $172.50:

Venables, Robert (ed.) with contributions by William Watmough, Clive Gammon, Leslie Brewer, .V. Righyni, J. Johnston Mann, Ralph Whitaker, Richard Fitter, Leslie Moncrieff, Ralph Hedlin, L. Gladstone Gough, Tony Brenna, Fred Gleave, Robin Murrell, Roy Denny, F.W. Sharpe, Michael Prichard, Frank Fortey and John Gaselee. Creel, a Fishing Magazine, Volume 1, Number 1, July 1963

Gulf House, London,July 1963 Published by Gulf House, London July 1963 Very Good condition 64 pages.First (stated) Softcover printing In No dustjacket, as issued, illustrated wraps. Magazine. 8x11 inches, Fishing Content includes The Upstream Worm, Salmon on the fly, tuna, the Heron, Fishing the Dungeness, The Avon, Casting, salmon minnows, silkweed, suffolk, The swale.. ISBN: Book # BM06444

Price: US$ 172.50

Assuming you're not talking about The Shell Book of Angling, that seems to be pretty much it mate

thats probably the complete bound year i expect

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Wot a nice thread!

I didn't meet the great man, but I did assemble and whip rods for Geoff Bucknall at the Lewisham/Loampit Vale shop.

I can't remember if they were called Springheel or Longbows ....

certainly bore the name Moncrieff on them.

:D

so many famous names in one thread i knew MR Bucknall he lived behind us when we lived in bromley ,unfortunately i knew he angled but not how famous he was at the time not being into fly fishing which ofcourse was his best known face but on reflection he was a great all rounder as well :doh:

he tried to show me how to cast a fly but it wasnt my scene even the rod and reel he gave me eventually was swopped for something or other ,if i only had it now :rolleyes:

i didnt know he was still alive but an interveiw with him is here

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5684

Edited by chesters1