les moncrieff

AThong

OK, without wishing tio take any glory away from LM, which other 'famous' anglers did you know....?

Peter Stone was my hero (coarse).

Wot a nice man.

Came down to W Sussex and did an article with me when I was just 17!!!!!

Yep, that be me!

peterstone1.jpg

peterstone2.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your a landing net :o

ok a mr cherry and bob type situation but you being the master

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

In 1963 Leslie with the Martin rod co produced the springheel and in 66 prnduced the longbow with hardy.

The longbow produced a cast of 140yds and three years later Peter Bagnall use a prototype to cast 180yds which then became the Abu 484.

Wot a nice thread!

I didn't meet the great man, but I did assemble and whip rods for Geoff Bucknall at the Lewisham/Loampit Vale shop.

I can't remember if they were called Springheel or Longbows ....

certainly bore the name Moncrieff on them.

:D

Hardy Longbow, double tapered hollow glass, the bees knees back then :lol: I afraid Mr Moncrieff started me on the road of being a tackle tart :lol: Used to love reading his articles in the Angling Times and I believe that the story of his casting whilst on his knees was in the Angling Times, I certainly remember reading it.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Barry Moncrieff Here - Son of Leslie Moncrieff - I have a DVD of my Dad and some of his Radio Talks - you are Welcome to have a Copy - I will need your Address - Mine is .......

Silverbow Cottage

Little Carharrack

Redruth

Cornwall TR16 5RS ............... Regards B Moncrieff .......... itsmonktr16@btinternet.com

Whoa..... 7 years on... and then...

It's an honor Barry to have you resurrect this thread. You have email and also a message through this site. Hope you got it.

Thanks for the offer and truly glad that I can finally get to know a bit more of your dad, who's legacy was inspirational in me being a life-long shore angler from an early age through publications of your dad's fame and heroics.

thongy

Bite alarms, carp rods, baitrunners, and braid. Great for big bass on beach. I'm bringing my sofa next .....

There is also something I read in the mag Sea Angler.... about a decade or more ago... I seemed to have lost this copy... sigh.

Does anyone still have a copy of the issue ?

I think the heading was 'The Dustbin Revisited' or some sort like that. It's about the 25 th anniversary of the infamous night at Dungeness where the so called record hull of hugh cod happened. The surviving members turn up at Dungeness and tell their story.

Anyone knows about that publication... ?

thongy

Bite alarms, carp rods, baitrunners, and braid. Great for big bass on beach. I'm bringing my sofa next .....

I think the heading was 'The Dustbin Revisited' or some sort like that.

I do remember that, Andrew.

Featured Terry Carroll and possibly the Big Mac.

I need to carefully look through my old volumes!

:rolleyes:

PS those rod blanks came with a metal screw winch fitting and the butt was two parts with both the wide bits being bonded with string and two-part epoxy called Araldite .... a revolution in 1968!!!!!!! The join had to be epoxied into the middle of the winch fitting.

For those not in the know ... the butt was shaped like a bow (and arrow)

ie. thicker at each half end.

The theory was that casting with a multiplier allowed the reel to sit properly throughout the cast.

Helpful, I think, because there were no 'brakes' in those days!

I'm afraid the laws of physics were ignored .... in the 70's, aircraft grade aluminium butts replaced this idea and there was a huge leap in distances.

I think Neil once told me that the best casting rod was a broomstick; but it wasn't particularly nice to fish with! :D

Edited by H.A.

There is also something I read in the mag Sea Angler.... about a decade or more ago... I seemed to have lost this copy... sigh.

Does anyone still have a copy of the issue ?

I think the heading was 'The Dustbin Revisited' or some sort like that. It's about the 25 th anniversary of the infamous night at Dungeness where the so called record hull of hugh cod happened. The surviving members turn up at Dungeness and tell their story.

Anyone knows about that publication... ?

what he killed them off?

all i remember of dungerness (besides fishing) was newspapers flying about (bait wrappers) and human crap for the unwary foot to find,we only got there one weekend a month its the only time the car owner could get away from his misses

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I got locked in at Dungie during a fog and had to sleep(?) in the car all night with the 25 mile range foghorn blaring all bruddy night!!!!

B****URDS!

:angry: