Cornwall Pier Fishing

rankine

I am going to cornwall one week in October and i have only sea fished once so i dont know anything about it!

Is 12lb mono line too strong or too light??

Please could some one recomend a rig?

Thanks, and tight lines (sky sports 3 6pm!)

Certainly for white sharks!

Personally (as a relative amateur) I use between 15lb and 25lb, dependant on how rough the terrain is.

For lighter work 12lb will be fine, but 18lb to 20lb is a happy medium.

Rig and bait wise, usual story of ask the local angling shop, and either buy pre- made rigs, or get a book- I have a sea angler one which I would recomend.

and good luck...

B.A.S.S. member

From the 'osses mouth :)

Living (& Fishing) in Cornwall, for the pier 12lb is quite sufficient. Most harbours ,& particularly piers ,suffer with an abundance of moorings, rocks & weed on the bottom so the suggested end rig would be a substantial slider float, drilled bullet and 2ft trace with size 2 hook attached via a small swivel which also acts as a lead stop. For bait in October, you can't beat a live or defrosted sandeel but if it's slow then a supply of ragworm will ensure plenty of fun with the Wrasse. They ain't big...but they are plentiful !!. For bottom fishing in sandy coves then a 6oz breakaway with flowing trace and about 18 feet of 50lb shock leader will be more than sufficient. Personally I have never exceeded a 15lb main line and no fish has ever broken me. Anything thicker will just offer a lot of unneccesary resistance to the tide and attract weed.

Good Luck and call by for a Cream Tea if you're passing :)

[ 15. August 2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: TriAngler ]

TriAngler:

From the 'osses mouth :)

Good Luck and call by for a Cream Tea if you're passing :)

I might just do that if I knew where you were. :D:D

I am coming down to North Cornwall next month, Port Isaac :cool:

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

I'm in the West , near Porthleven :cool:

But in Cornwall you're never far from the sea

Still if you are willing to make the effort Dave, the least I can do is reward you with some vittals :)

Robert

ps (for rankine)....I saw a 17lb Conger last month, caught float-fishing from the harbour wall !!!

Wonder if this is a 'first' ??

[ 16. August 2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: TriAngler ]

Well, i am going to Coverack and it has wrasse pollack and at night you could catch a conger

And do u know any dirt cheap tackle websites because me and my dad need some sea gear

Hey :)

If you're going to Coverack you'll be passing my front door...so if you're really stuck I could probably lend you the gear. Also Trago Mills @ Falmouth or Liskeard have good tackle at really low prices so may be worth a visit on the way down.

Otherwise there are complete outfits available in the tackle shops locally from £14.95 (rod,reel,line & rig !) or even can be hired by the day or week.

Remind me via pm nearer the time and I'll make sure you're sorted

Gotta stop typing now to ease the finger-blisters from gripping a fly-rod continuously from 9am to 7pm yesterday just to tempt a couple of Rainbow Trout from the lake to feed my guests.

Still at least I caught, all the others struggled for their 'blanks'in very challenging conditions. Must be grateful for small mercies :P

Regards :)