Need A advice

Hi everyone,

Maybe it's just me, but 100 yards isn't that far for a cast, really. 100 yards is only the length of a footie pitch! Provided you're using the right equipment, such as a shockleader, braid main-line, correctly filled spool, large (distance) eyes, helicopter-rig, etc, etc, 100 yards shouldn't be a problem.

This is how I look at it:

100+ yards = Long Range

130+ yards = Very Long Range

160+ yards = Extreme range

160+ yards, with a 4.5oz lead aint impossible, though start adding stringers and such and things start to drop short.

Garth.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure this guy wants ANYTHING really?? I just made him what I considered a PERFECTLY reasonable offer of Three new decent (free) rods and all I got was a shitty reply!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I could regularly reach 160-170yrds, with a 4.5oz lead, using my 3.50lb tc Greys. In my opinion the Greys don't get the recognition they deserve. Great rods and great service.

Good technique is definitely a must, but with a soft rod you'll never hit the horizon.

Garth.

gotta agree greys r quality....i use ther rods for all my long range work.....cast awsome, nice for playing fish on and come with a lifetime guarentee.....think you can get the greys prodigy 12'6 3.1/2 tc now with a big pit reel for hundred quid.....thats a bargin espicially as the rod will last for years and if you do brake one they jus replace it.....don't buy cheap you'll only regret it and ave to replace em...

gotta agree greys r quality....i use ther rods for all my long range work.....cast awsome, nice for playing fish on and come with a lifetime guarentee.....think you can get the greys prodigy 12'6 3.1/2 tc now with a big pit reel for hundred quid.....thats a bargin espicially as the rod will last for years and if you do brake one they jus replace it.....don't buy cheap you'll only regret it and ave to replace em...

Hey Scoop

Who's doing prod's and reels for that price????

I am setting up again after a change of personal circumstances and area move, so looking for some good gear at a reasonable price, as still unemployed and had to loose my X Flites and shimano's.

Are they advertised on the web???

Hey Scoop

Who's doing prod's and reels for that price????

I am setting up again after a change of personal circumstances and area move, so looking for some good gear at a reasonable price, as still unemployed and had to loose my X Flites and shimano's.

Are they advertised on the web???

jus kook in the mags and shop around erics angling doin the rod wiv emcast evo for 115notes and thats the 1st page i opened carpworld on www.ericsangling.co.uk

jus kook in the mags and shop around erics angling doin the rod wiv emcast evo for 115notes and thats the 1st page i opened carpworld on www.ericsangling.co.uk

Cheers scoop

was thinking about the climax offer on 2 prologic rods and 2 of the new okuma reels for £150 + line chucked in, but not sure what the new okuma powerliner reels are like??? after having shimano's for so long in the past, any idea's guys what they are like????

Cheers scoop

was thinking about the climax offer on 2 prologic rods and 2 of the new okuma reels for £150 + line chucked in, but not sure what the new okuma powerliner reels are like??? after having shimano's for so long in the past, any idea's guys what they are like????

personally i wouldn't use any thin but a shimano or dawia reel cos these have all lasted me years.....i've got a set of dawia emblems that i've had 10 years and still working fine but i jus changed to dawia entohs.....trouble wiv the pro logic and the okuma gear is you don't know how long it will last!!!! i mite know some1 selling 3x esp tracers 3.1/4TC and 3x dawia emblems if your interested

personally i wouldn't use any thin but a shimano or dawia reel cos these have all lasted me years.....i've got a set of dawia emblems that i've had 10 years and still working fine but i jus changed to dawia entohs.....trouble wiv the pro logic and the okuma gear is you don't know how long it will last!!!! i mite know some1 selling 3x esp tracers 3.1/4TC and 3x dawia emblems if your interested

The rods are lifetime waranty and reels 5 years, but I'm like you it's shimano or Daiwa realy, having always had shimano and never had a problem, it's hard to change, even with the tempting adverts and price.

Would be interested in the ESP's / Daiwa's if the price is right and they are in good nick.

Let us know about them, PM me.

Cheers

Trevor

Ive used the small okumas for getting on for 5 years now for a lot of my FS lure fishing and boat fishing cant fault em.

if your after a reel thats capable of casting big distance well engineered (better than any shimano exept maybe the stella) try the penn beach reels Ive done over 160m with the old ones and apparently the new version takes the urine out of the older version. theyll set you back around £50 from glasgow angling

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread,with lots of good information,please bear with me, since this is my first year carp Fishing I have read all the responces, every one seems to agree that a good 2.5 to 3.5 tc rod is needed to achive long ditance casts, which I agree, but I do believe that you need a good reel to match the rod to for those super casts, I started out with a Shimano rod 2.5TC with a Okuma reel (cheap) I only use a 3 OZ long cast wieghtI could cast maybe 75/80 M now i have switched up to a Greys 3.5 TC and a Okuma 6500 serious reel fitted with a long cast spool I have no trouble hitting the 110/120 mark, any further i have no accurrcy, so i think the combination of the rod and reel is needed... is this correct???