• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#51 trevor2003

trevor2003

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:33 AM

This is a great thread,with lots of good information,please bear with me, since this is my first year carp Fishing I have read all the responces, every one seems to agree that a good 2.5 to 3.5 tc rod is needed to achive long ditance casts, which I agree, but I do believe that you need a good reel to match the rod to for those super casts, I started out with a Shimano rod 2.5TC with a Okuma reel (cheap) I only use a 3 OZ long cast wieghtI could cast maybe 75/80 M now i have switched up to a Greys 3.5 TC and a Okuma 6500 serious reel fitted with a long cast spool I have no trouble hitting the 110/120 mark, any further i have no accurrcy, so i think the combination of the rod and reel is needed... is this correct???

Thats right phil, the reel will make a difference on the rod, I had JRC skyliners in 2 3/4lb tc with cheap non branded baitrunners on when I first started, then I put Shimano 10000 XTE's on them, which were alot bigger and bigger spools, but it made the rod's fly, I then put those reels on Greys X flites 3 lb tc and that was a beautiful set up. I know use Greys Prodigy's with Shimano 8000 GTE's on, as don't fish big venue's and they suit me and my style of fishing, so I'm a Greys man through and through now :thumbs: