The Wash? Is it worth it?

izzetafox

I am dying to get onto salt water but living in Leicester I could not be further from the sea :wallbash:

The Wash is my nearest saltwater but my memories of it are of a massive mud flat. Mind you that is from being a kid at Hunstanton 40+ years ago.

Is it worth a trip?

Is there anyone here who fishes the area?

Where would be a viable place to launch?

What state of tides would I have to plan for to save a 2 mile hike in the mud?

What would I be fishing for?

All my serious sea fishing has been done going west, mainly on the LLeyn ( God's Country :clap2: ) so the North Sea is virgin territory that has never really appealed but I suppose I should not just dismiss it without asking for advice.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Cheers

Terry

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

My experience of the Wash was a while back when i was at Wells next to the Sea. The tides there go out for what seem miles - lovely flat beaches. .... thing is as it is so flat when the tide turns and comes in at comes in with a vengence.. ! the tide is very fast flowing and can cause problems especially if you are on the beach and have walked out to meet the incoming sea. The conditions there are similar to Morcambe bay where the tide flows very fast and can be dangerous - as the cockle pickers unfortunately found out.

I would pick your points of entry carefully and not venure onto the sand and mud flats. Otherwise you should be ok. As for the catches there im not sure ... im sure others may have fished it.

I'll look on me map later, but is'nt Sea Palling up that neck of the woods, never fished it but looks a good bass venue on lures, plus Happisburgh, I've heard thats a good smut mark. I know there not in the wash , but there only round the corner so to speak.

• 1 month later...
You have PM.

I doubt it.... Chris, if you'd read the introductory pages when you registered, you would know that PM's do not work until you have passed a certain number of posts. We had to do that to stop a small (but troublesome) minority abusing the board and causing trouble - sorry about that :(

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I know nothing about kayak fishing but am very interested in having a look at one as I am a fairly fanatical pike angler and am thinking of buying one.

I also live by the Wash, so have tried to PM'd you my phone numbers but it won't let me for some reason.

The Wash itself isn't much cop but Thornham (just around the corner...) is a noted tope mark and I imagine suitable launch spot. I think they fish in Brancaster Deeps, which I imagine are also accessible from there. The sea is some distance out, you have to navigate through the marsh creeks. There's a slipway and harbour at Burnham Overy Staithe.

I know nothing about kayak fishing, I've more or less given up sea fishing because it's so crap where I live. I dont know where the tope boats go from Thornham but one in particular is quite successful.

Cheers Chris...I actually live in Leicester as opposed to 'near the Wash' it's just it is the nearest saltwater to me.

I will do some research on the areas you mention. Thanks again

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

I might come up to Thornham for a day or two toping dependant on when. I'm in Lowestoft so it's around 80 miles for me.

Chris - my piking success has rocketed since buying a yak. I slow troll a broad and rivers and pick up plenty. Biggest boated and weighed to date from the yak is 10lb but that'll be beaten no doubt, now that i've worked out the rules of the game so to speak. The freedom to explore and chose your spot, the freedom to roam over vast areas with a couple of lures and the access you get from a low draft and narrow craft is unbeatable. Worth every penny.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.