Sea Angling Licence Looks Ever More Likely

glennk

More than one million sea anglers will be forced for the first time to pay to fish under Government plans for a licensing system.

Ministers are proposing charges to cover beach anglers, boat fishing and charter trips, overturning a British tradition enshrined in common law nearly 800 years ago.

David Miliband, the Environment Secretary, wants to use the licence fee to help manage fish stocks. It would also be used to protect and improve shore access and car parks, provide launch sites for small boats and create artificial reefs. Part of the money would be used to administer the scheme itself.

Please read the article below for full details :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../10/nfish10.xml

May I congratulate all concerned.

There's nothing new in what you have posted there Glenn.

Basic facts, "spun" by the countryside alliance - correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that you are (or were) no fan of theirs.

Certainly there is a possibility of the Government introducing a Bill in 2009, but that then needs to be passed by Parliament. Even then many measures in many Bills do not come into effect for years after the Bill is passed and becomes law.

So to say that 2009 and could be the date for your diaries is plain misleading.

If people want a date for their diaries I would suggest 26th April this year, get a response in to the consultation!!

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

That's right Nick, A response is what's required from all sea anglers. 2009 could well be the date for your diary though. It certainly looks like the date the government have in mind. It says so in the article.

I'll not go into some of your other comments Nick for fear of diversifying at a very early stage in the life of this topic. By all means carry on via PM though B)

Please read the article below for full details :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../10/nfish10.xml

May I congratulate all concerned.

Hi glen

I think the license will come in for defo along with some new proposals to appease the greens etc, and just about jack s*it for sea anglers, nothing short of the golden mile will make me buy one i can tell you that, and that looks most unlikely.

Regional licensing might be a way forward if something like the above measures were introduced a year or two in advance of it being brought in (as sea anglers could actually see something is being done in that area) but to bring one in nationally for one or two small protected areas imo would not be fair and do little for the majority of rsa's

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

If people want a date for their diaries I would suggest 26th April this year, get a response in to the consultation!!

wrong conseltation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26 of april is the 20 year sceme.

8 of june is the marine bill.

I never said that the consultation which ends on the 26th April was the White Paper!

Merely it is the next date which requires an action.

The consultation in question is:

Fisheries 2027 – towards a contract for the future of marine fisheries

see it here:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...-2027/index.htm

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

This is very much the RIGHT consultation to be responding to at this moment in time. This document is FULL of references to us paying for the privelege of fishing, even if not mentioning the word license. Get a response off to the email address on page 12. There are only two weeks left.

For example, this section

Commercial fishermen, recreational anglers and fish-farmers

• Using appropriate gear and techniques to reduce the

environmental impacts of catching fish.

*******• Sharing the cost of science and fisheries management. **************

• Getting involved in science and policy development.

• Being responsive to fish stock and market changes in effort

expended and species targeted.

• Contributing data.

• Taking good business decisions and managing risk effectively.

• Complying with the law.

Is a clear indication that they intend to make us pay BEFORE delivering any benefits.